It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

tami71 HB User
Thumbs up FNA results New question!

Hi I had my biopsy done on Wednesday. It wasn't to bad just a little sore afterwards. I got a call this morning that it was completely benign! I am sooo happy!!! Now I have to decide if I want surgery or RAI. I have three nodules.
Which do you recommend? I have such mixed feelings about both. You all have helped me soo much so far. I hope you can help me decide!
Tami

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: FNA results New question!

Personally, I've had the surgery, and if you are in good health, I think it's a good option. An fna only takes a sample of cells, you don't really know for sure if there's any bad or mutating cells in there---so if you have the surgery, you will know that there is no cancer for sure.

If you do RAI, you will have real challenges with medications as the cells die off inconsistently.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
(female)

RMB HB User

I'm glad you had good news! I wish you the best as you make your decision.
Let us know what you decide...
Rhonda

Old 08-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Personally, I've had the surgery, and if you are in good health, I think it's a good option. An fna only takes a sample of cells, you don't really know for sure if there's any bad or mutating cells in there---so if you have the surgery, you will know that there is no cancer for sure.

If you do RAI, you will have real challenges with medications as the cells die off inconsistently.
Thanks Reese,
Thats what I am thinking also, Do they automatically check for cancer when they do surgery?
Tami

Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
I'm glad you had good news! I wish you the best as you make your decision.
Let us know what you decide...
Rhonda
Hi Rhonda,
Thank you very much! She is going to let me stay on the methemazole for six weeks to give it a chance before I have to make a decision, but she does not think this will do the trick, amd told me to be thinking which one I wanted to do. She increased the methemazole, and now I am having hives, so I have to cut back again. I am still itching terrible! I may have to come all the way off if it don't get better. She also gave me a betta blocker that is helping alot.
I will let you know when I decide. Hope you are feeling better, medicine helping yet?
Oh, I have one more thing I wanted to ask. Do you have trouble with calcium and vit D since surgery? I have been talking to a friend of a friend that had thryoid cancer and she said after surgery you can battle with this.
Thanks for your help!! :-)
Tami

Last edited by tami71; 08-30-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

In my case, I had no problems with calcium after surgery, mine went pretty smoothly, my voice was weak for a couple of weeks, and that was about it, no pain, just a sore throat and a numb neck.

They send the thyroid out for pathology to be analyzed after it's removed.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
(female)

RMB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tami71 View Post
Hi Rhonda,
Thank you very much! She is going to let me stay on the methemazole for six weeks to give it a chance before I have to make a decision, but she does not think this will do the trick, amd told me to be thinking which one I wanted to do. She increased the methemazole, and now I am having hives, so I have to cut back again. I am still itching terrible! I may have to come all the way off if it don't get better. She also gave me a betta blocker that is helping alot.
I will let you know when I decide. Hope you are feeling better, medicine helping yet?
Oh, I have one more thing I wanted to ask. Do you have trouble with calcium and vit D since surgery? I have been talking to a friend of a friend that had thryoid cancer and she said after surgery you can battle with this.
Thanks for your help!! :-)
Tami

Tami,
I am so sorry you are itching and have the hives...I'm sure that is not pleasant. Having a beta blocker was very helpful for me too.

I am feeling some better since the med increase. I am hoping that it is bringing that TSH down, down, down and that I will be on the mend soon!

I did not have any calcium issues post surgery. If your parathyroids get shocked during surgery you can have problems with low calcium. In most cases if this does happen it is temporary. However, it is a risk factor to know about.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
(female)

tami71 HB User

Hi Reese,
Thanks so much for the info. That helps me so much in making my decision. I am glad your surgery went well that's encouraging!
Take care!
tami

Last edited by tami71; 08-31-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Tami,
I am so sorry you are itching and have the hives...I'm sure that is not pleasant. Having a beta blocker was very helpful for me too.

I am feeling some better since the med increase. I am hoping that it is bringing that TSH down, down, down and that I will be on the mend soon!

I did not have any calcium issues post surgery. If your parathyroids get shocked during surgery you can have problems with low calcium. In most cases if this does happen it is temporary. However, it is a risk factor to know about.
Hi Rhonda,
I am glad you are some better, We will take any improvement we can get right? :-)
I had to switch to PTU because of my hives. I have been on the betta blocker for about three days now. I usually run a very low blood pressure, it makes me kinda nervous being on this. Was your BP high or low? I think it takes about a week to get the full effects of the medicine. The PTU makes the betta blocker stronger so that scares me a little bit. Shoud I be worried about that?
Tami

Closed Thread