It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

tired47 HB User
Lightbulb thyroid issues,??? on lab values, medication armour or synthroid

Hi All! I recently had thryoid labs rechecked after 4 months. Here they are- all you vetrans please give me any suggestions.

T3 Total 94 ( low) range 97-219
Free T3 304 range 230-420
Free T4 .9 range .8-1.8
TSH 1.32
The endo says she would start me on a low dose of synthroid but only because my thyroid is enlarged/has nodules, not due to my lab results. I started working with MD. homeopathic dr. who believes armour would be better, supplying T3 and T 4. The endo says Armour will increase my T3 to much causing my heart to race ( a problem I am having already). Anyone with experience please help me make the right decision. I just want to feel good again after 2 years of "Heck "after a lt thyroid lobectomy ( for benign nodules) and NO treatment, endos kept saying you are in normal ranges!!! And please explain how my Free T3 is normal but Total T3 is very low- do not understand. Thanks to all responses!!!!!!

Last edited by tired47; 08-30-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: add more

Old 08-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: thyroid issues,??? on lab values, medication armour or synthroid

Bear in mind that your racing heart may have much more to do with your hypothyroidism than it does with your med. The disorder itself can cause all manner of cardiac quirks. I had several PVCs per minute for years before I was treated for hypoT; but I haven't had one in at least 3 years now, since my dose of Armour has been optimized. There is no certainty at all that Armour would make your heart race any more than Synthroid would. Could it? Yes, but it also might not. No way to know until you try it.

Your lab results show that your free Ts need adjustment upwards, so the endo is wrong about that, too. Most people have symptoms when their FTs are at the bottom of their ranges, like yours. Your gland isn't making your body's requirement of hormone; that's why it has enlarged.

Both of your free Ts are low, not just the FT4. Your FT3 should be at least 325, the minimum that the majority of the population needs. So, you need treatment to raise those FTs and alleviate symtoms, not just to shrink a goiter. You may want to reconsider an MD who doesn't believe you need treatment for its own sake, and who apparently is a TSH worshipper.

Your total T3 may be so much lower because it's a flawed test with a higher error rate than the free T3. I think the error rate could be as much as + or - 20%, if I remember right. It's just not a good enough test to pay attention to.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-30-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
(female)

tired47 HB User
Cool Re: ??? on lab values, medication armour or synthroid

Thanks Midwest1!!
I guess I too, like everyone else on this board, just want to get feeling better. I hate going from endo to endo, my 1st refused to test anything but TSH, saying ,"It is unnecessary, this is the most accurate test there is." It took me a lot of frustration and research to move on to endo#2, who tested but said they were all within normal ranges. Now this is endo #3, it is hard to find someone who REALLY listens to you.The people on this board have been so helpful and you all give me the courage to keep searching. I know how I felt before the thyroid surgery ( GREAT, no health issues ever in my life) and I know I feel like "crap" (sorry best descriptive word )now. I am not going to believe all my symptoms are "in my head". Thanks everyone!!!!!! And good luck to all of you out there!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: ??? on lab values, medication armour or synthroid

Hi Tired ~

I'd say that Endo is full of $#!t!! (often they're more into shear numbers & not listening to the patient) I'd try the Armour, knowing that NOTHING is an instant f-i-x.

I've taken T4 solo, Armour (short stint), T3 solo, a combo of T4/T3, and back to Armour since May 07. Though I'm still undermedicated on it, I feel better (more like MYSELF) than on anything else.

Quote:
I just want to feel good again after 2 years of "Heck "after a lt thyroid lobectomy
( for benign nodules) and NO treatment, endos kept saying you are in normal ranges!!!
i've also had one non-cancerous, ENLARGED lobe removed 0ct 05. Though I heard that dreaded normal after my 1st labs (TSH of4.79} THANKFULLY my TSH easily went above the old, OLD limits (5.0) quickly.

I'd get copies of ALL my old labs, (even if I had to pay!) as its often INTERESTING to see what they think is NORMAL that we thy patient see as a PROBLEM .

Also get yourself a book STOP the thyroid madness is good.

Quote:
my 1st refused to test anything but TSH,
you'd had HALF your thy REMOVED how
DRACONIAN is that
????

Personally I'd like to QUICKLY lower my fired D.O.'s free T4's to .8, leave him there for year+ then check to see how HE feels

Last edited by Administrator; 12-29-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: ??? on lab values, medication armour or synthroid

I'm a bit confused at your statement about the homeopathic MD. Would he be an option for treating you? My own doc is a homeopathic MD who prescribed Armour for me, which I'm doing great with. Most hypothyroid folks don't need endos, who are stubborn and blockheaded as the ones you've seen.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
(female)

tired47 HB User
Smile Re: ??? on lab values, medication armour or synthroid

Hi Midwest,
Sorry to confuse you, the endo I saw was just an Md. ( and in my insurance plan). I had one appt with an homeopathic Md. who was recommended since all other doctors have failed. He said he would prescribe armour,but he had to do some other things first, or he felt my heart would race more with the armour. I liked him, just a bit untraditional thinking to get used to, but I am open to ANYONE who can help me. He is also not under my insurance
( OUCH!) so it financially hard. He is also going to do a iodine test since he feels iodine might also help.
The worst is the fatigue, and the heart palps, and chest pain..... all things I have NEVER had before my thyroid issues ( I was ALWAYS VERY healthy til now).
As I said before I feel like a "hypochondriac" going from doctor to doctor , being told it is all in my head, right!!!!levels are normal range... I agree Suey77, you walk my walk for one day and see how it feels. I don't want to feel like a teenager, just want to feel somewhat "normal" again, after two years of "heck". Is that to much to ask???
Thanks for the suggestions on the books, I am avid reader,and I think it drives some Doctors crazy because I do ask questions regarding treatment.

Last edited by tired47; 09-01-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: more info

Closed Thread