It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

danielle001 HB User
Question Hashimotos

I was diagnosed with hashimotos about 2weeks ago, my dr is holding off on putting me on any medication to see if the problem solves itself. Well for the last 3weeks my throat has been swollen to the point of i cant swallow, im constantly tired have massive migrains about every other day.My t3 and t4free test came back normal but my tpo was off the chart. Motrin isnt workin is there anything anyone can suggest to help relieve some of these symptoms? Also what is it that is causing my thyroid to swell and not function. ive researched as much as i can but im still in the dark on this condition. any information would be very helpful
thanks.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Hashimotos

Hi, Danielle . . . I happen to have a home medical encyclopedia. I will give you everything it says about Hashimoto thyroiditis:

"An auto-immune disorder in which the body immune system develops antibodies against its own thyroid gland cells. As a result, the thyroid gland becomes unable to produce enough hormones, a condition called hypothyroidism.

The principal symptoms are tiredness, muscle weakness and weight gain. Enlargement of the thyroid gland, goiter, is present.

The condition is diagnosed by blood tests to measure the level of thyroid hormones and detect the presence of thyroid antibodies. Treatment consists of thyroid hormone replacement therapy which is continued for life. It does not always cure the goiter which may require surgery."

I hope this information helps you. So sorry you are going through this and my thoughts are with you.

Let us know how things go!

Lindaru

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
(female)

danielle001 HB User

thank you so much lindaru that was very helpful.
danielle

Old 09-01-2008, 01:43 AM   #4
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User

Go to the thyroid section, on the boards here, there very informative.

I also was diagnosed with Hashi's this year, and I am taking Synthroid.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
(female)

nessanjeff HB User

So they can actually prescribe medication to help relieve symptoms of Hashi's?
The doc I was seeing wouldnt give me anything considering my t3 and t4 came back normal. My Tsh was high, I have both antibodies for Hashi's. My heart is constantly racing and im shaky all the time. I did just have a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago, so maybe its due to that, i dont know. But my throat does feel like something is in it and it has beeen confirmed my thyroid is enlarged. My rai uptake was 32%. So i dont know what to do next. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Nessa

Old 09-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User

Hi, Nessa . . . it sounds like you may now have a combination of Hashimoto thyroiditis *and* surgical menopause.

Those together would certainly make you feel awful. I am kind of surprised they are waiting to start you on hormone replacement prescriptions. I would ask them to get moving a little bit on that so you can feel better soon.

Also, discuss your symptoms as regards your hysterectomy. They may need to do new checks on your levels as this can change with the drastic hormonal changes you are going through now.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Lindaru

Old 09-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
(female)

nessanjeff HB User

Thanks so much for your reply. I should have been more specific. They did give me a shot of estrogen in the hospital, so i go back the 11th to decide which HRT would be best for me. But my gyn acts like Hashi's is really nothing. Well if he had it I bet it would be something! All of this started back in December of last yr. I started having chest pains. Well they did all of the stress test, stress echo and EkG. All came back fine. So I don't know, i guess i'm going to try and find a really good endocrinologist to help me with all of this. Sometimes i feel as if I'm going crazy. Thanks again.

Nessa

Old 09-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Danielle--

I too was diagnosed with Hashi's a few weeks ago. After many US and FNA, they have decided to remove it. I have a large goiter on one side and multiple nodules on the other. The biopsies couldn't tell if it was cancer or not. So it needs to be tested again. From what I can figure out, it has to come out because of the goiter, nodules and the fact that it's just burning out. The whole thing seems to have gone quite fast, from 1st exam to surgery!

When I asked if they could just take part out, the Endo said no because in a few months it would just burn itself out and have to be taken out anyway. I have had problems swallowing, coughing, constantly tired, lots of headaches and my neck has been hurting right up to the base of my skull. I have absolutley NO energy and am tired ALL THE TIME!

Previous labs have shown that the function is within the ranges they said it should be. But he described it as is that my thyroid has to work more than twice as hard to produce barely enough of whatever it's supposed to. Obviously, I don't know all that much either. This whole thing seems to have happened so quickly!

I guess I'll be on thyroid meds. I think I probably would have been even without the surgery. I would guess they can prescribe them to regulate the thyroid because of the hashi's. There are ALOT of knowledgable (spelling?) people here. They have been through this and have alot of good information (I am not really one of them...:-) ) They also have mentioned books that are quite informative. I may have to get one and get more info.

Wish me luck tomorrow everyone! My TT surgery is at 11am. I'm sure I'll be back to post and ask TONS of questions once I get into the whole treatment etc. I don't know what meds I will be on or anything yet. I had hoped they would put me on something before the surgery, but they didn't. We'll see how it goes! Keeping fingers crossed! Let's also hope for BENIGN results!!!! THank you all.
---mmmcoffee

Last edited by mmmcoffee; 09-04-2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo

Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

EXCUSE ME? SOLVE ITSELF? HASHIMOTO'S WILL NOT SOLVE ITSELF! Hashi's is the autoimmune be all destroy all your thyroid tissue disorder. It may not be an instant kill off of your thyroid, but your thyroid is going to die. The rate and side effects of this destructive process vary between individuals, HOWEVER many studies show that Hashi's patients benefit greatly from proactive treatment of there imminent hypothyroidism. I am a bit biased and ranting because I have Hashimoto's and Graves disease. I KNOW how rough living under treated and under managed can be. I am not mad at you.. but I really would like to stomp all over your MD at this time.

YOU NEED A NEW MD. This MD is not a thyroid savvy MD in my opinion. This is not unusual.. most MDs only have a 15 minute seminar under their belt going over the basics of thyroid health. You were lucky to get tested for Hashimoto's at all.

Look over my post it should help you with some general thyroid health care and concerns.. there are a series of them.. but my Week 2 post covers the basics.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

In addition get a copy of your lab results.. Lab values and RANGES. If you post them here we will be able to tell you where you are in range and if additional testing is warranted.

Now how old are you? Are you of child bearing age and do you have any desire to have kids? Have you had children? All these factors need to be taken into account as well. Why? Autoimmune disorders.. especially thyroid ones are genetically dominant. Hence if you have it.. your children can get it.. your mom or grand mother may have it.. sisters.. etc. I stress the female dominance here. Men can get it.. but the chances are 8 to 1 that a female will get it over a man.

Pregnancy for a Hashi's patient automatically puts you in the high risk category. It is not something to be sat back and observed. You are sick and things can be done to help you.. even if it is just supplementation of vitamins and minerals until your thyroid is killed off incrementally.

I am sorry that you are in the beginnings of Hashi's Hades. It does get better with adequate care and management of your thyroid. I speak as a Hashimoto's, Graves, Adrenal insufficiency suffer that suffered FIVE years before finding an MD willing to treat me. I also have seen my mom and her four sister suffer and fight on average 13 years to get adequate care and treatment. HOWEVER it is treatable and manageable. You need a thyroid savvy MD to manage you. YOU also can not trust the MD to manage you as closely as you need to be managed. YOU are your own best advocate and must fight for yourself.

Uh.. sorry.. ranted there.. welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family. I hope you find my research and thread helpful.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 09-05-2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
(female)

goalechica HB User

I don't know if this is the right place to post or not. I got diagnosed with hashimotos when I was 19. I'm 23 now. I was stable on synthroid for awhile, but I lost my health insurance and have been without medication for quite sometime. I never really knew much about the disorder or what it meant all I knew was that I had something. I didn't find much literature about it and my MD wasn't very helpful either.

So I recently had my lvls taken and all they told me was that my total T3 was 2.23 and normal was .6. How serious is this and what may happen if left untreated? I'm getting worried cause I really haven't felt well for a few months now.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalechica View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to post or not. I got diagnosed with hashimotos when I was 19. I'm 23 now. I was stable on synthroid for awhile, but I lost my health insurance and have been without medication for quite sometime. I never really knew much about the disorder or what it meant all I knew was that I had something. I didn't find much literature about it and my MD wasn't very helpful either.

So I recently had my lvls taken and all they told me was that my total T3 was 2.23 and normal was .6. How serious is this and what may happen if left untreated? I'm getting worried cause I really haven't felt well for a few months now.
Is it okay to say the name of a store here? I've been on a reduced dosage a while and am so sleepy I can't remember, know what you mean about confused. I know we can't post a link. Surely just the name of a store which sounds a little like a famous pharmacy chain, where you might get your thyroid prescription for $4? I know thyroid medication is on their list in my town. If you can afford to get levels taken you can afford $4, right? Find out if they do that in your part of the country?

Some articles suggest that inadequate treatment can allow the autoimmunes to develop, if I'm not mistaken, so please don't neglect it. I'm just reading to learn about Hashi's, know I have antibodies but not actually dx'd yet or told anything about it, so I'll probably not be posting in this thread again. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Eagle; 09-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hello,

It took over 2 years after my multinodular goiter was found for someone to tell me they felt I had Hashi's...I have felt terrible and had symptoms for the last 7 years.....my labs have been low but normal until recently and my t4 has been falling....I have been treated with medicine for 2 years now even though my labs are normal....My Endo believes in treating with medication.....When he determined I had Hashi's he changed my meds and increased them......I feel much better....

Good luck and keep us posted.......Oleander

Closed Thread