It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

danielle001 HB User
Question Hashimotos

I was diagnosed with hashimotos about 2weeks ago, my dr is holding off on putting me on any medication to see if the problem solves itself. Well for the last 3weeks my throat has been swollen to the point of i cant swallow, im constantly tired have massive migrains about every other day.My t3 and t4free test came back normal but my tpo was off the chart. Motrin isnt workin is there anything anyone can suggest to help relieve some of these symptoms? Also what is it that is causing my thyroid to swell and not function. ive researched as much as i can but im still in the dark on this condition. any information would be very helpful
thanks.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User
Re: Hashimotos

why does ur doctors think that it will correct itself??? oh my goodness. i think you should look up some of the link from mgbrooks about hashimotos, she has plenty of insightful info about hashimotos. i haven't been on this site for a couple of weeks but i'm sure that if you do a hashi's search on here, you'll find the information you need.

i think u should get a 2nd opinion. i had all normal labs as well but my tpo/tgAB were off the charts as well and i felt AWFUL...the anxiety was the worst of it, followed by shortness of breath, swollen throat...so yes, i know how you feel. but i was first put on iodine which just made my tpo numbers rise even more. and wen to another doctor who prescribed synthroid and slowly the symptoms started to lessen. i still get them once an awhile, but the meds has really helped me live a "close to normal" life.

so if you aren't satisfied, go get another doctor to see you. don't settle for incompetancies. some of these doctors are so quick to just say "no meds" because of lab results. it's so ridiculous. but if they were the one who had the problem, i bet they'd be the first to jump to take meds.

goodluck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
(female)

kcf71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle001 View Post
I was diagnosed with hashimotos about 2weeks ago, my dr is holding off on putting me on any medication to see if the problem solves itself. Well for the last 3weeks my throat has been swollen to the point of i cant swallow, im constantly tired have massive migrains about every other day.My t3 and t4free test came back normal but my tpo was off the chart. Motrin isnt workin is there anything anyone can suggest to help relieve some of these symptoms? Also what is it that is causing my thyroid to swell and not function. ive researched as much as i can but im still in the dark on this condition. any information would be very helpful
thanks.
Danielle,

I think I would seek a 2nd opinion only because I don't think the problem will resolve itself and for your doc to make you wait seems harsh. My surgeon suggested waiting as well and my endo said no because, and I quote, "waiting won't help as her T3 and T4 levels are normal". In other words, since nothing is wrong with them, how can waiting help? You have the symptoms NOW and that is what they should be concerned about.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Oh my lord... just when I think I've heard it all.

Danielle, Hashimoto's never "fixes itself". It's an irreversible autoimmune disorder (caused by those TPO antibodies) that is guaranteed to eventually and completely burn out your thyroid gland. Those off-the-chart antibodies are what's causing your gland to swell and block your throat. You needed treatment long before this. Waiting for Hashi's to reverse itself is as futile as trying to stop a freight train barehanded.

I'll tell you... I keep a computer file of threads that I've titled "Dumb Docs". I just added this thread to it. Sometimes I can't believe my eyes when I see just how ignorant a supposed "professional" can be.

I recommend you go back to that guy and insist on treatment now... before that goiter gets one millimeter larger. Refuse to leave his office without a prescription. If all else fails, find yourself a real doctor.
(If I could be there with you, I would provide for him a realistic demonstration of how it feels to have one's airway cut off, if you get my drift. )

Old 08-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
(female)

danielle001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Oh my lord... just when I think I've heard it all.

Danielle, Hashimoto's never "fixes itself". It's an irreversible autoimmune disorder (caused by those TPO antibodies) that is guaranteed to eventually and completely burn out your thyroid gland. Those off-the-chart antibodies are what's causing your gland to swell and block your throat. You needed treatment long before this. Waiting for Hashi's to reverse itself is as futile as trying to stop a freight train barehanded.

I'll tell you... I keep a computer file of threads that I've titled "Dumb Docs". I just added this thread to it. Sometimes I can't believe my eyes when I see just how ignorant a supposed "professional" can be.

I recommend you go back to that guy and insist on treatment now... before that goiter gets one millimeter larger. Refuse to leave his office without a prescription. If all else fails, find yourself a real doctor.
(If I could be there with you, I would provide for him a realistic demonstration of how it feels to have one's airway cut off, if you get my drift. )
so if put on the medication will the goiter go away?
i can handle the tired not feeling good.. but not being able to eat and breath daily is a struggle.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There are no guarantees that the goiter will shrink if you start taking medication, but there is a good chance it will, and an even better chance that it won't get larger.
I would bet that your free Ts are not so "normal". I bet they're at the bottom of their ranges, which means the levels are just barely enough to keep a large flea moving.

Don't allow that dolt to prevent you from trying meds ASAP.

Closed Thread