It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
(male)

Doog HB User
How important is taking synthroid without food?

I know it affects absorption, but how much? For example, how much of 150 do you get if you drink a glass of milk 5 minutes after?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: How important is taking synthroid without food?

i have no idea what specific measurements are lost if eating or drinking less than an hour after meds, but keep in mind that not all the medication you take is completely absorbed even when on an empty stomach. some is lost in the GI tract and not absorbed at all in the best of circumstances. and if a person has a digestive disorder (IBS, for example) on top of that, there is even further loss of absorption.

sorry i cant be exact with your question. i'd skip the milk if i were you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I take mine with apple sauce. That might help if you are having stomach issues. Don't use more than a tbs. of applesauce plus 1/2 glass of water. I take mine about two hrs before breakfast. Fam

Old 08-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Synthroid's prescribing information states that the absorption rate on an empty stomach is between 40 and 80%. That's a big spread, but there is lots of variation in that rate from person to person, depending on age and other factors. Obviously, you want to maximize the amount of med you're getting.

If you absolutely can't wait to put food in your stomach for at least a half hour - although 1 hour is best - go ahead and have a few ounces of milk or juice or whatever. Just be sure to have the same thing each and every morning without fail. If you aren't consistent about the way you take your med, your levels will never stabilize. If you insist on having food with it, understand that you are going to need a higher dose - because of lower absorption - than you would if you didn't eat with it. That can be a problem if you have an MD who sets a limit on how much he/she is willing to prescribe for patients, which happens.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
(female)

syl4019 HB User

I used to take my synthroid in the morning after breakfast, for many years, a couple of years ago I started taking it at bedtime....on an empty stomach. found that I eventually had to have my dosage lowered. Think that is the reason why. So if possible, take your meds on an empty stomach and do not eat for a couple hours after.

Closed Thread