It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
new here~hyperthyroid

hey guys, ive had symptoms for awhile now and finally got a dx. overactive thyroid. my symptoms are extreme anxiety, tightness in neck, always tired and hungry. to name afew.

i was wondering how the meds work and if and when i will feel better. also what causes the throat tightness and why does it come and go? its my worst symptom by far.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
(female)

WhatTheHeck HB User
Re: new here~hyperthyroid

Hi there! I've been posting some stuff but no one replies. I too have been DX with hyperthyroid. My doc thinks I might be Graves Disease.

She put me on PTU but I didn't get a chance to see what it can really do for you, I developed a serious allergy reaction to it. Yesterday, I started Tapazole. She warned me if that does not agree with me that the next solution is radiation.

I'm not happy with it at all. There has got to be something good out there for us. So, I found me a doc who practices both internal medicine and Alternative Med. I see him in 2 weeks. So I hope and pray something good could come out of this.

Since I am extremely sensitive to meds, I found a difference in my third dose of Tapazole.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
(female)

plantation13 HB User

Hi,
My son had hyperthyroid and lost 15 pounds from the increased metabolism. He ate a lot and was hungry, too. He thought he had anxiety - his hand started to shake - but it's a side effect from the hyperthyroid. After he went to the doctor, and had the iodine radiation zap, he went into hypothyroid and his anxiety went away. He has regained his 15 pounds and feels fine.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Which meds? What medication were you placed on and what concentration was assigned to you?

Are you on a beta-blocker? Betas are commonly given to lower HR and reduce BP when a hyperT tachycardia, palpitations, and prehypertension/hypertension state is present. The dosage changes depending on severity of symptoms and your body chemcistry. My Cardiologist has me on a short acting beta because when I lie down I do not exhibit any HR and BP anomoloes.

ATD(Anti-thyroid drug)? These act to block TSI and TSH receptors in the thyroid, there by reducing the thyroids ability to produce T4 hormone. This shuts the door and slows down the T4 production there by reducing the T3 production as well. The level and need will be dependent on your hyperthyroid activity.

You need to make sure that your MD is following your Ft3 and Ft4 levels in addition to your TSH levels. Also make sure that they do a basic thyroid antibody panel for Hashimoto's and Graves disease. It is very common for Hashimoto's to start out and give the impression that the patient is hyperthyroid. This is a by product of thyroid tissue destruction T4 store dumping. Too many MDs do the bare minimum with regards to thyroid care. It is YOUR job to make sure they manage your care properly. Hopefully GravesGirl and Access and the other resident hyperTs will visit you soon. I have Graves and Hashimoto's. I have been in Hyperland and now I am a classic resident hypocase. Good luck to you and welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family.

MG

Old 10-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHeck View Post
Hi there! I've been posting some stuff but no one replies. I too have been DX with hyperthyroid. My doc thinks I might be Graves Disease.

She put me on PTU but I didn't get a chance to see what it can really do for you, I developed a serious allergy reaction to it. Yesterday, I started Tapazole. She warned me if that does not agree with me that the next solution is radiation.

I'm not happy with it at all. There has got to be something good out there for us. So, I found me a doc who practices both internal medicine and Alternative Med. I see him in 2 weeks. So I hope and pray something good could come out of this.

Since I am extremely sensitive to meds, I found a difference in my third dose of Tapazole.
What,

There are more hypoTs than hyperTs about. Many of the hypoTs will ride on the side lines and wait for someone more familiar with hyperT issues to answer. I am guilty of that, however if I have time I try my best. I will look back over your post history to see if I can find your other postings. The other issue with posts is this is an ACTIVE board and sometimes posts get lost in all the replies and other new posts. Bumping your post once or twice may help. If is scrolls to page two some may not see it and respond.

Did your MD test you for Graves and Hashimoto's? Or did the MD just diagnose you hyperT by TSH alone? Has your MD been following both your FT3 and Ft4 levels Or just the TSH? Sometimes it is hard to get proper thyroid care.

MG

Old 10-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Don't let doctors push you into radiation, not until you've read posts about it and done research on it. Most people I've come in contact with are suffering after it and can't get their levels straight, especially if you have the kind of doc that only goes by tsh.You will be trading one set of symptoms for many others. When you are hypo, it's no better, just safer, that's why docs push it. They don't want you to go into thyroid storm if you don't take the meds.You are just starting your journey....don't rush into anything permanent! Especially with high FT3 and 4, your brain doesn't function right, not a good time to make serious decisions.Continue to research, go on other boards that deal mostly with Graves, and get educated about it.I've been on meds for 2 years and am still learning.

Closed Thread