It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
treatment for hyperthyroidism

i have to wait till tuesday to even get meds cause holiday weekend. whs at is the treatment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
(female)

lucy2 HB User
Re: treatment for hyperthyroidism

I took methamizole(sp?) which is an anti thyroid medication and a beta blocker for fast heart rate. It only took a week on the meds to feel better. Only problem is according to most endos is that you cant take those for life, like hypothyroid meds. They are supposeably bad for your other organs and such. Most likely your doctor will want you to kill off your thyroid with rai or even surgery. Read up on your options before you decide to do anything but the meds for now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: treatment for hyperthyroidism

Some doctors, especially in other countries, do sometimes use anti-thyroid meds for life. It's mainly the liver they're worried about but as long as a person's liver enzymes are not rising, there's really no problem. You just need your labs done on a regular basis. The other advantage of meds is that some people go into remission after a year or two on meds and are able to get off medication entirely. It's a very smart first choice. It's also a choice that can be changed if things don't work out.

The most important thing with hyperthyroidism is finding a doctor that you can work with. Someone who is open and willing to listen to your input, be able to educate you properly on what your disease actually is and the various treatment options for it and is compassionate toward your needs. One of the most annoying things is walking in there, them saying your hyper and therefore you have to have rai or you're going to die. Yeah, right. I'm dead.

I'm sorry that you're hyperthyroid. It's a bummer but it's also something that can be treated and you can actually feel good again.

Good luck tomorrow. Let us know what you find out.

Closed Thread