It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User
Lament of a thyroid patient

Here are a few pat answers from my family doc (nurse pract.) which many of you can probably relate to:

1- i say, i'm so tired, my doc says, exercise more
2- i need more synthroid, she says, i can't give you more, your tsh is fine
3- my skin is so dry that if i were to shower every day i'd go mad from scratching my skin, she says, use more skin cream
4- my cholesterol is so high and yet my weight is normal and my diet is very low fat and i eat whole oats each morning, she says, here's a lipitor prescription
5- my fingernails and toenails are so brittle, she says, take more calcium
6- i'm having trouble sleeping at night and can barely make it through the day without a nap, she tells me, don't nap in the day and you'll sleep better
7- i'm constipated like ten, she says, eat more bran and drink more water
9- i can't handle dairy foods anymore, she says that the only real allergies are the ones that are life threatening or close to it
10- i'm having trouble handling stress, she says, let's increase your celexa and/or i can refer you to a psychiatrist.
11 - i want a free T3 and free T4 test, she says, they are not necessary for treating hypothyroidism.

Last edited by cossette2; 09-01-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
(female)

lucy2 HB User
Re: Lament of a thyroid patient

Boy, that sounds like me! My doc wont test the ft3 and ft4 either. I am constipated and now probably hooked on laxitives. I take em everyday. I am gaining weight like crazy. I take naps during the day on my days off. He still thinks maybe I need the Cymbalta back for depression. I say I am not depressed in the clinical sense, only in the way my life is going now being hypo. He is knocking down my dose of synthroid cause he says I am taking too much. I need a new doctor, or one that will listen to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User
Re: Lament of a thyroid patient

Hey Lucy,
I sure hope you find that doctor who will do the right thing for your thyroid! I was debating whether or not to post that sad list of responses from my nurse practitioner, but i thought that others might be able to relate and not feel alone in their struggle. The ironic part about it is my nurse practitioner is an old friend, but for some really strange reason beyond my understanding, she just seems to dig in her heals and is not willing to see that i may have more information that she does on thyroid treatment.

I live in the goiter belt too, by the great lakes, and i personally know about 30people who live in my city who have thyroid.......the percentage is way above normal. I have to wonder how many others are feeling poorly because of poor treatment by their doctors. If i can ever get my thyroid balanced and stable, i will do what i can to help those who have struggled as i have.

I too am looking for a new doc and it looks like i will need to go out of the city, possibly across the border to Michigan.

Closed Thread