It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
(female)

menty HB User
thyroid removal

what should I expect with thyroid removal

Old 09-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
(female)

lucy2 HB User
Re: thyroid removal

My surgery went fine. It took about 2 hours and I stayed overnight, but under 24 hours so it was considered 'outpatient'. I didn't get sick from the anesthsia either. I think I slept most the afternoon away. I went home the next morning with pain pills which were not good. They made me sick to my stomach the next day, so I switched to plain old tylenol . I was tired for a week and tried to go back to work too soon and ony made it half days. Got the stitches out 10 days later and that kind hurt. They were buried on one side and he had to dig around for the string. Other than that, you shouldnt be too nervous about it. We had a tornado hit our town the very day I came home. Now that was more traumatic than the surgery. It didnt help my recovey because there was so much to do after the storm. No electricity for 5 days. Good luck to you and dont be afraid. It isnt bad at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User
Re: thyroid removal

My TT was a bit complicated and lasted about 4 and 1/2 hours. Because of that, coming out of anesthesia was difficult, but I was feeling better the next morning. I had some calcium complications and had to stay in the hospital an extra 4 days. You may want to ask your Dr. about taking calcitrol before the surgery since it takes 4-6 days to really get in your system. The recovery from surgery was actually pretty fast, but I couldn't get on thyroid meds immediately because of my RAI treatment. If you go on meds directly, you'll probably feel almost 100% after about 2 weeks. As for the scar, most Dr.s are good about making a small incision in a fold in your neck. My surgeon was AWESOME and I've been rubbing pure vitamin E oil (that I bought at Walmart) on it every day. The scar looks really good, isn't that noticeable only 2 months after surgery. Best of luck to you with your procedure, and don't hesitate to ask questions. The folks on here are a WEALTH of knowledge.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: thyroid removal

Hi Menty welcome!

In Oct 05 I had one enlarged, non-cancerous thy lobe removed. My surgery was early morning & pretty simple. I remember eating lunch that day & getting a migraine from the anesthesia. (when coffee didn't help - I asked the nurse for something) I went home late the next afternoon. So about 36 hours in the hospital.

I'm a teacher & was out of school for 2.5 weeks (could of been longer) People are different, as I heard of some who were climbing the walls after a week. Really depends on your job & body

The time Doctors have wasted while stabilizing me on replacement hormones (Thy) has been the worse part of it

Closed Thread