It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
How much do you watch your diet?

I'd like to try and eat foods that don't aggrevate my thyroid, but I'm having a difficult time as I have some food restrictions. I'm also hypoglycemic and am finding it difficult to get my protein and also eat foods that aren't bad for my thyroid.

I'm avoiding soy (source of protein), I'm lactose intolerant (protein), I don't eat beef or pork and don't really like chicken. I do like fish and shellfish, but that has iodine. I eat peanut butter, but I've read that's also bad for thyroid. Do I worry about all this or does anyone else have any other sources of protein I haven't thought about? I do eat eggs, but you can only eat so many eggs y'know? I eat almonds too, but they're fattening, so I only eat a handful a day. I need to eat every 2-3 hours though and need protein at each meal/snack. I don't want to give up seafood if I can help it. It's the only protein besides turkey I have left. My nutritionist said beans are more a carb than a protein.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: How much do you watch your diet?

I don't avoid soy, I don't watch my diet at all in terms of iodine, and it doesn't seem to affect my medication or levels at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Tigger,

I avoid iodine too. I eat a lacto/ova vegeterian diet. Beans are a quality protein. Are you seeing a registered dietician? If not, you probably should. You only need the amount of iodine in a 1/2 tsp of iodized salt on a daily basis. I figure why get more if that's all we need. I have read that too much or too little iodine has the potential to cause problems. I have thyroiditis so that's why I'm cautious. Fam

Old 09-03-2008, 03:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Yes, I did see a nutritionist once because of my hypoglycemia. She said I need 7 grams of protein every time I eat, which is every 2-3 hours. She said beans were fine as protein as long as I didn't eat too many other carbs with them, since beans are still starchy. Once I ate beans with rice and felt horrible an hour later. I guess, since I can't eat dairy or soy, and don't like meat, I'm stuck with fish as a protein even though it has iodine.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Not all fish has iodine in it. Shrimp and Shellfish are the worst culprits. I would worry more about the levels of mercury in sea fish than iodine. I can not eat the iodine in those fish and shellfish that possess it. I am allergic to it. Too much iodine makes my thyroid ache and hurt. Same for my mom and aunts. We have the autoimmune thyroid disorders. My Graves aunt has to avoid excess iodine because it can really drive her hyperT. Excess iodine in my family's Hashimoto's sufferers seems to aggravate and speed up the AI attack and inflammation on the thyroid.

I do not avoid all soy, but I do not eat soy meat substitute. I LOVE meat. Cow especially. Eggs and chicken disagree with me. So I eat more pork and beef than chicken. My iodine restricts my fish intake to fresh water fish and tuna and salmon. There are others that are iodine free. I mainly can not eat shrimp, crab, and a few others in that family. My mom and her sisters are the same way. SO I say stick to your fish.. try and keep to the fresh water varieties and watch that diet. Good luck.

MG

Old 09-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Hmmm.....that's limiting my seafood choices. I LOVE shrimp, so maybe once a month wouldn't be bad? I like tilapia and can afford that, but I can't afford salmon and a lot of other fish I have read are high in mercury. What types of soy are ok in small amounts? Are edamame ok?

I have switched to sea salt and any frozen food I buy (veggies mostly) have little to no sodium.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The soy that I ignore are the ingredients added to bread and preprared goods. Many things have soy flour added to them these days. I am not sure what edamame is.. in any case eating soy consistantly will lower your absorption ability with respect to your T4 supplement. This does not mean that you have to avoid it like the plague. Your T4 supplementation regime should take into account your dietary habits. As long as you are consistant you should not have to worry as much about diet induced spikes.

If you are not allergic to the iodine/dyes in seafood then you should be able to eat shrimp just fine. You should be able note if the iodine is effecting you adversely. It causes my family rashes, palpatations, shortness of breath, etc.. the standard allergic response nastiness. I week of hives after a good pot of seafood gumbo is just not worth the irritation.. SO we avoid shrimp as a rule.

MG

Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Edamame are soybeans.

Thanks for all the advice. It's much appreciated to find such knowlegeable people on this board considering most doctor's aren't very helpful.You would think as widespread as thryoid problems are in this country, they'd be better trained.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

There is another way to look at that... of the MDs practicing in this country.. How many graduated with an A average versus a C or B? I guarantee that there are more B and C level MDs out there than top of the crop A's. Like any other mountain you have to climb up and over the C's and B's until you can pluck the A right of the top. I wish that wasn't the case, but it seems to be the norm. It doesn't help that the MDs are resistant to listen to their more knowledgable patients as well.

We will get through it though. Glad I could be of assistance.

MG

Closed Thread