It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
(male)

love2fishfork HB User
7 days postop and still no pathology!

I realize there was a holiday in there, but this is taking a long time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: 7 days postop and still no pathology!

It took two weeks for me to get my fna results, over the holiday, the doctor was away........you can try calling, maybe no news is good news?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
(female)

Mtngal33 HB User

oh my gosh! I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, and this post brought me out of lurkdom!

I had an ultrasound on 8/8, an uptake on 8/18-19, and a fna on 8/22 and I'm still waiting on the results of everything! This is terrible and I'm ready to find a doctor who understands how stressful the waiting can be...

Old 09-03-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
(male)

love2fishfork HB User

Well the path. report finally came in and I do/did have cancer. There were several nodules in my thyroid and the cancer (papillary) was in the smallest 1cm nodule. So now I'm looking at RAI. However I believe the success rate for this is very high, so I'm not going to loose any sleep over it (well ok maybe a little).

Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

so sorry about your diagnosis, I've been there, had pappillary 3.5 years ago, I'm just fine these days, once you get past hypo land in prep for RAI, and get through the couple of days of RAI, you get your medication, and on your way to feeling normal.....wishing you success!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Amazes me how many nodules do contain papillary cancer........sorry about the diagnosis. I had pap. cancer just a year ago, ultrasounds and first FNA looked good, benign, more ultrasounds looked good, 4 years later, pap. cancer showed up. I had the RA-I, started meds and am doing well. Just a bit of a salivary gland issue, that seems to be improving.....I wish you well and am sending warm thoughts your way. It's a process....one step at a time and before you know it,you come out the other side of all of it.
Lori

Old 09-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori123 View Post
Amazes me how many nodules do contain papillary cancer........sorry about the diagnosis. I had pap. cancer just a year ago, ultrasounds and first FNA looked good, benign, more ultrasounds looked good, 4 years later, pap. cancer showed up. I had the RA-I, started meds and am doing well. Just a bit of a salivary gland issue, that seems to be improving.....I wish you well and am sending warm thoughts your way. It's a process....one step at a time and before you know it,you come out the other side of all of it.
Lori
Hi Lori, sorry to hear about your cancer. Did you have RAI only or surgery too? I have three nodules one big one 3.2 cm that is hot and two smaller cold ones that are 1 cm. they just biopsied one small one and said it is benign, but I am hyperthyroid so they want me to do RAI or surgery. They are pushing RAI, I just don't know which way to go.
Did you do ok with the RAI? Any side effects?
Thanks!
Tami

Old 09-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tami,

There are many posts on this if you look over the past week on this subject.

The RAI for thyroid cancer is at a much higher (dramatically higher) dose than the one for hyperthyroid---so it wouldn't help to look at it based upon someone who had RAI for thyroid cancer.

The only problem with RAI for hyperthyroid, is that it slowly destroys the thyroid gland, and it leaves it very difficult for people that have had it to regulate their medication. Also, let's say that larger nodule, even though it is hot, is cancerous, it would be much better to take it out surgically and know for sure, than to do RAI, and if it doesn't destroy it, leave a possible cancer in there.

I've had the surgery (for cancer), my surgery was very easy, some people have it more difficult, but overall, it is not a very bad surgery as surgeries go.

Last edited by Reece; 09-04-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi Tami,
Wow, that's a tough one to answer. Surgery or RA-I? I have a friend who was hyper, too. she had the RA-I, like 20 years ago and is doing GREAT. Obviously, there are pros and cons to each. Surgery, is relatively easy, quick recovery, but I did have 2 parathyroids removed, one was lost and the other re implanted, had calcium issues for a good 7 months, mine were actually attached to the back of the thyroid, but all is fine now. Of course, you will have a scar on your neck, not bad, but...it's there....vocal cord damage; which is rare if you have a good surgeon, I came out practically talking, but had to whisper for a while{couldn't yell at the kids' soccer and football games}

RA-I, has been said on here by people could cause other cancers...down the road...I have read a "bit" on it, and am certainly not that well informed about it, and truly, I had no option, I HAD CANCER. BUT, that being said, I asked my surgeon and my endo, and both said it is safe, and has not been shown to lead to other cancers... I also had genetic testing recently and they were extremely thorough and stated there is not increased cancer risks, and I spoke to a radiologist recently, because I have had issues with swollen salivary glands, that is due to the RA-I, and he transferred here from another hospital, and he was in charge of nuc. med over there, and said, too, that it is safe. Now, for ME PERSONALLY, I had a bit of a harder time with the RA-I, quite a bit of swelling, and soreness, MORE than the surgery, but again, IT GOES AWAY, the RA-I was doing its work and killing off the remant tissue left over from my surgery. I also just recently read in our local newspaper that the Dr. that people can write in to asking questions, a lady asked the exact same question you asked, surgery or RA-I? The doc responded he favors RA-I, it does what surgery does without any cutting, scarring, parathyroid issues, vocal cord issues, and is safe and easy. His opinion.

Now for my answer, which is taking some thought............I PERSONALLY would choose the surgery, because it was relatively easy, recovery wasn't bad, the scar isn't too noticeable NOW, it was at first, of course. My parathyroids have recovered, BUT, if they hadn't I wouldn't be too happy, low calcium issues are a pain in the butt. Now, if I had had more time to research it, I would check EXTENSIVELY into RA-I long term effects from experts and get their opinions, ask doctors, nuclear med, radiologists, endos, etc, I DID not have that time, once my cancer was discovered, I was in surgery and doing all the protocol with in a week. Again, I HAD to have it. Obvioulsly, you sure have me thinking and no one can possibly make that decision for you.

The RA-I was uncomfortable for about a week, and I had to stay away from my family, which was easy, they are teens and were in school, I don't know your personal circumstances? Either way, you will make the decision that is right for you!! I felt hyper ONE night on Cytomel, and I could not STAND to live like that...wow, it was a long night. My friend had hers radiated and has not looked back, she is doing great and like I said, its been over 20 years, and she hasn't had any other isuues from it.

Good luck to you, and keep me posted, especially what you decide. Ask me any questions you have, I will be happy to answer, everyone helped me throught my cancer journey and I want to help others, too.
Lori- {long answer, but complicated question!!! Still thinking.........}

Old 09-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

love2fishfork,

Sorry about your results....I know you will do great. Please keep us informed.

Sincerely, Oleander

Old 09-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori123 View Post
Hi Tami,
Wow, that's a tough one to answer. Surgery or RA-I? I have a friend who was hyper, too. she had the RA-I, like 20 years ago and is doing GREAT. Obviously, there are pros and cons to each. Surgery, is relatively easy, quick recovery, but I did have 2 parathyroids removed, one was lost and the other re implanted, had calcium issues for a good 7 months, mine were actually attached to the back of the thyroid, but all is fine now. Of course, you will have a scar on your neck, not bad, but...it's there....vocal cord damage; which is rare if you have a good surgeon, I came out practically talking, but had to whisper for a while{couldn't yell at the kids' soccer and football games}

RA-I, has been said on here by people could cause other cancers...down the road...I have read a "bit" on it, and am certainly not that well informed about it, and truly, I had no option, I HAD CANCER. BUT, that being said, I asked my surgeon and my endo, and both said it is safe, and has not been shown to lead to other cancers... I also had genetic testing recently and they were extremely thorough and stated there is not increased cancer risks, and I spoke to a radiologist recently, because I have had issues with swollen salivary glands, that is due to the RA-I, and he transferred here from another hospital, and he was in charge of nuc. med over there, and said, too, that it is safe. Now, for ME PERSONALLY, I had a bit of a harder time with the RA-I, quite a bit of swelling, and soreness, MORE than the surgery, but again, IT GOES AWAY, the RA-I was doing its work and killing off the remant tissue left over from my surgery. I also just recently read in our local newspaper that the Dr. that people can write in to asking questions, a lady asked the exact same question you asked, surgery or RA-I? The doc responded he favors RA-I, it does what surgery does without any cutting, scarring, parathyroid issues, vocal cord issues, and is safe and easy. His opinion.

Now for my answer, which is taking some thought............I PERSONALLY would choose the surgery, because it was relatively easy, recovery wasn't bad, the scar isn't too noticeable NOW, it was at first, of course. My parathyroids have recovered, BUT, if they hadn't I wouldn't be too happy, low calcium issues are a pain in the butt. Now, if I had had more time to research it, I would check EXTENSIVELY into RA-I long term effects from experts and get their opinions, ask doctors, nuclear med, radiologists, endos, etc, I DID not have that time, once my cancer was discovered, I was in surgery and doing all the protocol with in a week. Again, I HAD to have it. Obvioulsly, you sure have me thinking and no one can possibly make that decision for you.

The RA-I was uncomfortable for about a week, and I had to stay away from my family, which was easy, they are teens and were in school, I don't know your personal circumstances? Either way, you will make the decision that is right for you!! I felt hyper ONE night on Cytomel, and I could not STAND to live like that...wow, it was a long night. My friend had hers radiated and has not looked back, she is doing great and like I said, its been over 20 years, and she hasn't had any other isuues from it.

Good luck to you, and keep me posted, especially what you decide. Ask me any questions you have, I will be happy to answer, everyone helped me throught my cancer journey and I want to help others, too.
Lori- {long answer, but complicated question!!! Still thinking.........}
Hi Lori,
Thanks soo much for all that information!! I have seen two endos and they both are pushing RAI. They don't think surgery is a safe choice because I am so hyper and I can't take medicine to try to help with the symptoms because I break out in hives. I don't think I would have to have the amount you did since yours was cancer. They said I 131
would be my dose, is that what you had? I was hoping if I had a lower dose maybe I wouldn't have side effects. I have seven children ages 3 to 17 but my Mom and Mother in law will keep them for ever how long I need to be away from them if I go this route. I have just recently talked to a male and female that had this done, they did not have cancer just hyper, and both said they did just fine, no side effects at all. The guy said he would do it again over surgery in a minute. One was 11 years ago and the other was 16 years ago.That got me to rethinking RAI especially since the Drs. are pushing it, but I don't want to let them talk me into something I am not sure about.
I appreciate your help so much, I have to make a decision very quick because I can't take the methimazole or PTU because I itch so bad.
Again thanks so much!!!
Tami :-)

Old 09-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #12
(female)

tami71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Tami,

There are many posts on this if you look over the past week on this subject.

The RAI for thyroid cancer is at a much higher (dramatically higher) dose than the one for hyperthyroid---so it wouldn't help to look at it based upon someone who had RAI for thyroid cancer.

The only problem with RAI for hyperthyroid, is that it slowly destroys the thyroid gland, and it leaves it very difficult for people that have had it to regulate their medication. Also, let's say that larger nodule, even though it is hot, is cancerous, it would be much better to take it out surgically and know for sure, than to do RAI, and if it doesn't destroy it, leave a possible cancer in there.

I've had the surgery (for cancer), my surgery was very easy, some people have it more difficult, but overall, it is not a very bad surgery as surgeries go.
Thank you so much. This is what I keep thinking in the back of my mind. I thought you got a much bigger dose with cancer. So the RAI may not kill the nodules completely?
This is alot to think about. You all are so helpful, my husband is so confused and my family because we have never dealt with anything like this and so they are not much help. It is so hard when the Drs. are telling me it is not safe for me to be put to sleep this hyper and me telling them this is what I want anyway. I start to question myself every time I leave her office. As it stands my Dr. is going to talk to the surgeon herself and see what she thinks about my situation, if she would do it, and get back with me. I guess I will go from there.
Thanks and hope you are doing well!
Tami :0)

Last edited by tami71; 09-05-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Closed Thread