It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

Hersheykiss HB User
Synthroid Decreased Now Have Hypo Symptoms

My endo decided to lower my synthroid from 75 mcg to 62.5 per day. My levels were a little under 1. Our goal is between 1 and 2. Don't have sheet for exact figures right here. Anywho, now I'm having fatigue, muscle pain, a little depressed and have gained 5 pounds. I am also extremely hungry again. My worst problem with fatigue is not being able to wake up in the mornings without being extremely groggy. The rest of the day I'm not too bad. What is going on? Do I request to go back on the 75 mcg or maybe try to switch back and forth between the 2 doses on my own? I'm scheduled to go back for bloodwork in November. I admit that I'm used to surviving on 5-6 hours of sleep at night, but woke up completely ready for the day. I've been on Synthroid for 3 years.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Synthroid Decreased Now Have Hypo Symptoms

It sounds like you have a TSH watcher for an MD.. this is not good. What are your FT3 and Ft4 levels?

You want to be in the 60-80% of normal range for a woman of childbearing capabilities.. after menopause you drop in optimal range to 45-75%. TSH is a guide not a be all marker. Also OPTIMAL TSH is 0.89-1.1. Between 1-2 is old school and conservative. I am secondary hypothyroid. My TSH his 1.4 and I feel like Hades and am a walking zombie. Get a copy of your labs and listen to your symptoms as well as your labs. Normal RANGE is a guideline.. not a fact. Everyone is an individual with individual body chemistry.. Optimal for you may not be optimal for someone else. I think you need more meds as long as you were not below 0.35 in TSH. Then if you were you need to look at balance and adrenals and make sure the whole kit and kaboodle are working well.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
Smile Re: Synthroid Decreased Now Have Hypo Symptoms

Since you brought up "secondary", Mkgbrook, would you mind explaining that a little bit? TIA

Hershey, I'm editing to ask, might you need a change to a different med? Not saying I know anything about it. Just that it might distract the doctor from the old lower-the-patient's-dose "syndrome" (smile). A guy thing? These days they tell you to cut part of your pill "on Sundays". Probably never think of trying every other Sunday, if the reaction is worse than expected. I agree that a TSH watcher, who doesn't seem to know anything of the other factors, doesn't sound good and think I'd look for someone I could have a get-acquainted meeting with, rare, I know, before making appointments. Just an idea.

Last edited by Eagle; 09-08-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Eagle,

Secondary hypothyroidism is where your TSH stays in normal to optimal range and your actual thyroid hormone levels fall below range or to extremely suboptimal levels. This indicates that you have hypothyroidism AND some other condition interfering with the response of your pituitary gland's TSH production.

Primary hypothyroidism is where the pituitary gland and all else, BUT the thyroid is functioning properly. In this case of your TSH will be high and your FT3 and Ft4 levels Low.

MG

Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Secondary hypothyroidism is where your TSH stays in normal to optimal range and your actual thyroid hormone levels fall below range or to extremely suboptimal levels.
Actually, this is the definition of "subclinical" hypothyroidism. "Secondary" hypoT is where the thyroid gland itself is in good condition and able to manufacture hormone, but it isn't receiving the signals from the pituitary or hypothalamus correctly. TSH and FT levels will both be low to low-normal in this condition.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-08-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: corrected myself

Closed Thread