It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User
Request Help On Adrenal Fatigue/thryoid - Mg/midwest/others

Hi all, LONG POST

I haven't posted on my situation for a while to the board, but some may remember me. I will try to condense this as much as possible. After 40 years on Armour in Dec 2007 I started having heart palpitations and no matter how much the MD lowered my Armour from 135 mg to 75 mg, the condition continued. In Mar 2008 he changed me to Synthroid and then I started to see an endocrinologist who only prescribes Synthroid and my HELL got even worse and I took to the bed/couch for at least two months. The endo added Cytomel which helped some, but hard to control and caused much discomfort. In July upon recommendation of a person I trust, I started seeing a MD who is more holistic/naturopath type doctor. She works with balancing all the hormones and did blood test for several things and I had the saliva test for adrenals. My adrenals are overworked, female hormones out of sync and from the books I have been reading, I suspect this could have been why my thyroid medicine would no longer work - perhaps from the beginning in Dec 2007. The doctor is first treating me with time released Vitamin B, and COQ-10 and changed me back to natural thyroid - I didn't want to try Armour again right now as I see they are doing something with their manufacturing and am taking Naturethroid which she says is the same. Anyway, I have been not felt any better yet, but this course of treatment just started Aug 5th with trying to increase my thyroid meds from 1 grain to 2grains. I had some problems with the 2 grains and had to decrease. From what I understand until the adrenals get fixed, the thyroid medicine will be a problem. She has me taking natural progesterone to which she says is a calming hormone to stop the feeling of increased heart rate in the morning and the nervous feeling - my saliva test shows I am over the charts in the morning and then it calms down and by evening I don't feel as bad. I see that feeling better in the evening is one of the signs of adrenal fatigue and I have always had that throughout this experience. I think if this doesn't work she will have to put me on the hydrocortisone...

Any insight, experiences......also my stress level and depression of this not being able to be cured and my feeling bad all the time and basically having little to no life over 9 months now - probably are not good for the adrenals or thyroid since stress and depression are a part of all of this Wonder how long it takes to get this regulated and balanced? I know everyone is different and perhaps all these months it was adrenal fatigue which hasn't been treated.

Thanks for any tips, insight - I have only been seeing this woman doctor who I really like and have a lot of faith in since first of July - and it was testing first and didn't get all results until end of July...then we have been trying things - but not much luck so far...still feel awful most of the time.

Help!!!
Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Request Help On Adrenal Fatigue/thryoid - Mg/midwest/others

Okay let me see if I get this straight.

Your adrenals are dead and she is giving you progesterone to fix it? Ummm.. DUH? NOT a good idea. If she wants to start lower on the synthetic food chain for the adrenals pregnenolone is where it is at... however you need a COMPLETE adrenal work up.

This is a full ACTH stimulation test evaluating ACTH, Cortisol, Aldosterone, renin, progesterone, estrodoil, cortisol, DHEA and pregnenolone. There may be a conversion issue in your adrenals that is genetic and has been triggered by your thyroid dysfunction. This is what happened to me. My adrenals are not dead.. exactly.. they have just shut down the cortisol and aldosterone manufacuting lines. Everything is getting shunted to DHEA, testosterone, and estrogen.. mean while I suffer from adrenal insufficiency because I can not convert my pregnenolone into cortisol, cortisone, or aldosterone. The only solution for me is to supplement my cortisol and aldosterone and thus cause my ACTH to fall to normal levels.. cutting back on my abnormally high levels of DHEA, Estrogen, and testosterone. Talk about a mood witch.. that is my middle name.

Progesterone can be shunted to DHEA.. or converted into cortisol and aldosterone.. taking it may or may not improve your issues.

So what are your lab finding and levels? Also why have they not tried a combination of Synthroid and your natural T4/T3 supplement? What were your last Ft3 and Ft4 levels? In the cause of adrenal issue they interfere with your T3 conversion.. making you have too little when cortisol is high.. and too much when cortisol is low. Since you indicate that you have high cortisol in the morning and low in the evening.. you may only need to take your T3 in the morning. Versus twice a day as most T3 regime recommend. All in all you are on the hormonal roller coaster. You are not alone.. I ride in the last car and get jerked around a lot. My body wouldn't have it any other way.

It took 5 months to get my cortisol levels stable.. but I was not dealing with fluxing, I was dealing with dead cortisol production. It is possible, but it takes aggressive hands on testing and management. I am continually fighting the mineral electrolyte balance game.. right now I am low in potassium.. that SUCKS big time. But I am almost there with regards to cortisol, aldosterone, and Ft4 and Ft3 levels. My latest journey is to determine if my adrenal and thyroid issues have caused me to manifest insulin resistance and PCOS. My medical history list is getting crowded. All in all when things are out of whack you need regular routine testing.. every 4-8 weeks.. with my adrenal mess I was in every 5 weeks for testing. I am fighting a constant battle to get and keep my B12 and vit D levels up in normal range. My Ferritin is good and my Ca is trying to fall out of normal range on me. The key is not to give up. I suspect that you are out of balance on your Ft3 and Ft4 levels and that you need additional support on the adrenals... but what you need is going to take time and systematic tweaking.

For many of the adrenal tests to be true you may need to go off of your beta blockers and supplements for at least 2 weeks. You also have to ditch taking hormonal supplements containing estrogen and progesterone. If you take estrogen and progesterone.. these will interfere with your blood work.. making them artificially high.

I am sorry that I do not have a simple answer.. but when dealing with the endocrine system.. simple would be miracle. Are you taking DHEA by chance? What are you taking medicine and supplement wise.. list everything. It can make a difference.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 09-05-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Closed Thread