It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
(female)

tnquilter HB User
Got my labs back and have ????

I was told that I have an enlarged thyroid with a tumor. The endo did alot of blood work and I got a copy of the labs today. I have not heard from him yet.

Have questions?

TSH 1.50
T4Free 1.14
Cortisol AM 12.3

PTH Intact 52
PTH Intact W/Ca 9.5

C-Peptide 9.5 (was flagged as high but I had not fasted and I have read that your should fast before this test)
Anti Thyroid AB <20
Microsom TPO AB <10

CRP .6
ANA 44
LH 61.9
Prolactin 7.8
FSH 94.8

Estradiol 28
Hemoglogin a1c&#37; 5.5

Uric Acid 4.9

Vit D 1,25 DIHY 23.3
Vit D 25 Hydrox 34.6
(My vitamin d was low in March and I have been on a dosage of 50,000 units 2x week and then 50,000 units 1 x week for 12 weeks now twice since then, I had taken a 50,000 unit pill on Sat and test was done on Tues)

Also a urine calcium test - 24 hr test

urine calc vol 2100
urine calcium 10.6
urine calc 24 hr 222.6

Can anyone make sense of these test???

I have been having problems for 2 years. This is the first endo that I have went to because I just did not seem to get better - every doctor just said it was fibro, back problems (even had back surgery in July), etc. The rummie said I was just not absorbing D. No one except this doctor check my thyroid and even looked at my symtoms like he did.

I have read you can have alot of muscle aches with thyroid issues???

The endo also said he thought I was gulten intolant and maybe that was why the d was not absorbing. Also from a previous blood test, he said I was B-12 deficent and gave me a shot and told me to take 1000 mcg a day.

Please any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by tnquilter; 09-05-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User
Re: Got my labs back and have ????

I'm not an expert on thyroid issues, but regarding a vitamin D deficiency, taking large doses like you are doing isn't the way to go. I assume it is synthetic, prescription D2 they gave you? The body normally doesn't get vitamin D that way.

And your D levels are still on the low-end.

The better option is D3, in a gel form (since it's fat soluble). You can pick up 2000 IU capsules at most vitamin stores. You'll need occasional blood testing to determine the best dosage, but you should aim for a Vit D 25 Hydroxy in the 40-50 range.

And you'll need to take the vitamin D continously. Taking 50K of D2 for several weeks, then dropping it, simply results in your D levels going down again... silly way for doctors to correct a deficiency. Just get blood tests for D, and start off at a safe level 1K-2K IU/daily, and it'll be a lot easier to correct.

Last edited by namelessme; 09-05-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
(female)

tnquilter HB User

that was exactly the questions I asked the rumortologist but she said this was the best way. When I came off the first round of 12 weeks of high units (50,000) she had me take the following for 2 months then she tested me again:
1000 units d (I took D3 from a healthfood store), Caltrate with 600 D twice a day and a Centrum Silver once a day.
When she retested me, my level was 30 (vitamin D 25-OH). This was on July 24th.
The endo retested last week and I listed what it was.

He was very concerned about me taking so much and my level being still that low. Though he did think maybe I do have celiac and that is why I am not absorbing the D & B12.

What the thyroid results??? Does any of these make any sense considering I had the ultrasound that showed an enlarged thyroid & tumor?
thanks

Old 09-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User

I'll mention that I have to take 2000IU to just get my vitamin D levels into the 30 range. 4000IU to get it into the 40s, where it should be. Everyone is different, and 2K-4KIU isn't that odd or high a level for lots of people. The old RDA is terribly outdated.

If 1000IU rose you to a vitamin D level of 30, I'd say 2000 IU should be enough to get you into the 40s. Just make sure it's a gel form, as the dry capsules don't absorb very well, and get tested regularly. I also assume your doctor tested you for Celiac.

And one of my doctors also first recommended the 50,000 units of D2. She really had no idea how to treat the deficiency, so looked it up on her little PDA. It listed a prescription form of D, so that's what she suggested. She didn't even know you could buy D3 in vitamin stores. But D3, fat-soluble, is the way to go.

Sorry that I have no comments regarding the thyroid issue. I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's myself, so am learning about all of this stuff now.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
(female)

tnquilter HB User

I am still waiting on the doctor to call me! I have considered calling his office because I know he was fax the results of the blood test last week. I know I am impatienced but it has been a long road and I would love to know this is not my "lot in Life" to feel this way.

I had taken 50,000 units of D on Saturday and had the test run on Tues, would not it have higher?

Wish someone would help me understand the thyroid tests. If the test are okay, what will they do about the enlarged thyroid & the tumor?

thanks so much

Last edited by tnquilter; 09-09-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

If the tumor/nodule is around 1 cm or larger, you should have a needle biopsy to get more information on it.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
(female)

tnquilter HB User

Can you tell anything from the test results?

thanks

Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I am impressed with the tests your Doctor has chosen.......I would suggest with an elevated C Peptide that you ask him/her to do a 2 hour PP Glucose and Insulin.....You see an elevated C Peptide sometimes with Insulin Resistance.....I have Nodules, goiter, hypothyroidism and Insulin Resistance..... Insulin resistance sometimes has the same symptoms as hypothyroidism.......fatigue, fogginess, weight gain especially around stomach and back, high triglycerides and cholesterol.......sometimes low magnesium too......

A fasting Insulin test is not enough you must have a fasting and 2 hour done to tell.......... Ask your Doctor to do this test while you are being checked out and get a 2 hour blood sugar at the same time.....Let us know.

Oleander

Closed Thread