It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Added Cytomel to Thyrolar-2

I have switched off of Armour to Thyrolar-2 120mg and am thrilled with the results..It has been about 30+ days now...My Endo had me add Cytomel in the afternoon 25mcg. I am only on my 2nd day and do not feel anything. I have heard comments that this can make you shakey and anxious so I was afraid to try it.....So far I cannot even tell I am taking it....maybe takes a while?

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else taking it along with another thyroid med?

I was so reluctant to leave Armour but now I am glad I did...I could immediately feel the difference of the Thyrolar...

Oleander

Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Re: Added Cytomel to Thyrolar-2

Hey Oleander,

I am now on Unithroid 100 and added Cymtomel, about 2.5, a couple of days ago. I was supposed to start last week, but with hurricane Gustav coming over us and us evacuating, I decided I didn't need any more hyping up!

So, yesterday, I washed alot of clothes and cleaned a little bit. I haven't done that much in two years! I am waiting for a few weeks to see if it holds, but I think I feel better. The cytomel at the full 5 mg. makes me sleepy(?!), so I backed up to 2.5. I don't understand why I would get really tired, as I was thinking it would really hype me up. That is definitely proving that just because I worry about side effects DOES NOT make them more likely to occur! I had the opposite reaction. Keep me posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sue,

I am so happy to hear from you and what you shared. The first day I took the Cytomel I went right into a nap !!!! I thought I would be hyped up but I slept instead......I was sleepy today also....weird...

I will let you know how I do as I go along......I was out of town for 3 weeks and avoided starting it due to the Anxiety and hyperness I have heard about. I was afraid to feel sick away from home.....so I just started it this week.

Be careful of the Hurricane that is coming......I have cancelled my New Orleans trip for Monday......I work there once a month....I am waiting it out. This weather is very stressful.....had over 10 inches of rain in Arkansas due to the last one. Stay safe and dry......

I will let you know how the Cytomel does as the week goes along.

Thanks for responding........ Oleander

Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sue,

( removed )

I think we have figured out that even Doctors do not know jack about thyroid.

( removed )

I can tell you I travel to Memphis, all of Miss, all of Louisiana, all of Ark and all of Oklahoma...So I get the weather stress all the time. Hurricanes, tornadoes and ice storms..and it is terribly stressful...... I am a SO California girl and never had any of this there......it has been an adjustment.

I also want to mention that since I started the Thyrolar 2 ? I have dropped 7pounds in a month without dieting.....not sure why...happy about it.

Since finding out about my nodules/goiter and upping my meds, finding out about my insulin resistance and going on that medication....following low glycemic index diet I have:

Lost 30 pounds
Gone from 16 to loose 12
have normal cholesterol and triglycerides for first time in 10 years
No longer have to take blood pressure medication
have more energy

Keep in mind I started my journey at size 7 and no health problems or complaints. I gained 30 pounds in one year, fatigue, some depression, and no one could figure it out........I was 48........I am now 55. I mostly got antidepressants shoved at me ....It has been a long journey of feeling like crap. I knew in my heart something was wrong, that something had changed. My Endo says he hears and sees it everyday......he checks thyroid and insulin on anyone that complains of a change......

Grateful for this board.......so I can communicate with intelligent knowledgable people. Hopefully my journey has helped others as their journey has helped me........

Stay safe.......Oleander

Last edited by moderator2; 09-07-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: off topic

Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

I understand. By the way, how were you diagnosed insulin resistant? I have blood sugar issues, but mostly get lows. Did the 5 hour GTT test, so not diabetic and no tumor on my pancreas spitting out too much insulin.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

When I started to this new Endo he actually listened to what I said

Even though he was a 4th or 5th opinion on my thyroid he heard me talk about my weight and food problem.....how I cannot eat without gaining weight......so he insisted on doing a 2 hour PP Glucose and Insulin test on me...I have always ran low on my Blood sugars.. My blood sugars were good along with that AC1? My fasting insulin was only 2 points up but my 2 hour was horrible 4 times higher than it should be.......So he said I had pretty severe insulin resistance and put me on medication and told me to stick to a low glycemic diet. I had had my insulin checked before but he explained one fasting will not tell the story.......fastings come out pretty normal most of the time.......the 2 hour is what tells the story...he said my insulin is what was making feel so bad........combine that with my Hashi's and he said he knew how terrible I must have felt..........CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT ?

He first put me on Metformin and now I am on Janumet.......I feel 100% better and it has made a huge difference....I was not happy about having to go on medication but he says this could prevent me from becoming diabetic.
Mostly I can eat like a normal person now without gaining weight....I can actually eat bread. I had developed an eating disorder of sorts... no bread, no sugar, no white rice or anything processed.....much raw foods , no fruit, a lot of protien.........that is not a healthy diet at all...........now I can eat a balanced diet.......I was really suffering just over the eating habits I had to keep up as not to gain any weight. Even with being so careful with what I ate alls it did was maintain me....I did not lose....if I lost it came right back on. I no longer obsess about what I am eating or going to eat....

He also told me that even though I have a high chance of thyroid cancer due to my mother.....he felt I really have Hashi's...that my nodules are due to that..He asks alot about how I feel in the morning and in the afternoon......if I crash and how I sleep.......very thorough.

Since I have started on the Janumet I have lost a ton of weight off my stomach and back......I look more like my old self..... I still diet some and exercise everyday but I can eat now without gaining 5 pounds...

So that is the story........ I am going to hate when he moves back to Iceland.

Oleander

Old 09-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

He sounds like a great doctor! What is it about the two-hour mark that distinguishes insulin resistance? Sorry I'm being so like a little kid today with all the questions!!! I just wonder, because I fight the low blood sugar all the time, having to eat every 2 1/2 hours so it doesn't drop. My fasting insulin was 8.5 (0-29.1), and by my two-hour, it was 185. Do you understand it enough to know if that means much? My original doctor that ran this test didn't say anything. But I lost confidence in him fast. He was a "holistic" MD that wanted me to buy all kinds of OTC fixes that his wife conveniently sold through his office. I even told him on the first visit that I don't tolerate all the natural things, even vitamins. I wasted months and money on him this year.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is extremely high for a two hour Insulin...... Do you have an Endo, Internist or Family Doctor......ask them to do a fasting and 2 hour......have your blood sugar done while you are at it......How long ago was that done?

Did you drink the glucose drink? They should do a fasting, then you drink the glucose, then they draw a 2 hour .......If the value is (0-29.1) the 2 hour at 185 is way too high......My value was 58 when the high should be 15... they was also some calculation they do with the glucose numbers along with the insulin numbers? but I know that is too high...............in 2 hours it should be back down from what I understand.......

Having just a fasting done is not good enough.........

Hope that helps..........Oleander

Old 09-08-2008, 06:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

I did have the 5-hour fasting GTT. My fasting sugar was 99, and then my two-hour sugar was 149. I do have a new endo who I could show those results to. I had the test done in June. And yes, I had to drink that yucky sugary drink!

Last edited by sue1234; 09-08-2008 at 06:26 AM.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Taking the Cytomel each evening all week now......I am supposed to take it at 3pm and have taken it much later. No shakiness, no insomnia, no problem. I tend to be anxious.....but have not noticed any anxiety at all.........

I will get my labs in 3 weeks and we will see how my Thyrolar and Cytomel mix is doing.....

So far so good........... Oleander

Old 09-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

oleander -

1. why did you switch from the armour? i'll be starting armour soon and i'm ridiculously anxious about it.

2. any ideas why cytomel make you sleepy?

thanks

Old 09-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had been on Armour for over 2 years........I was militant about Armour and would not look at any other medicine. I started with Armour with a Doctor that would treat me by my symptoms then when my Goiter and Nodules were found the Doctors increased the dose......I was up to 3 1/2 Grains and never felt any side effects..........then my T4 started falling and my symptoms returned along with my Goiter and nodules in July. My Endo who I really like asked me try something else because he felt the Armour was not working for me......so I relunctantly tried Thyrolar 2.........glad I did. I immediately felt better.......I say it was immediate......

I am more alert, have actually lost about 6 pounds in a month.......feel more attentive. Now with the Cytomel we will see.....I was sleepy the first few days on the Cytomel but yesterday I felt great.......no problem sleeping at all.

Frankly, I have always been an Armour Fan. Why? because I lean towards natural medicine and read much about the Armour...now I wish I would not have been so closed minded about other medications....I am glad I switched. Everyone is different and responds differently. But there is a huge difference in how I feel on the Thyrolar vs the Armour.

The fact still remains that I have a multinodular thyroid. I will have my labs done and another Ultrasound in about 4 weeks.......that will tell much. But I can tell you I feel better than I have in a long time......

Hope this helps

Oleander

Old 01-25-2009, 12:43 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Oleander-how did it work out for you with the cytomel added to thyrolar2? I seem to be a poor t4 to t3 converter and feel that if I could get the t3 up that I would feel better.
Do you know how the thyrolar 2 differs from say cytomel and synthroid?
I tried cytomel as an add on to synthroid sometime ago and I hated the rush feeling of cytomel. I am investigating ways to get t3...I am not interested in armour, it just doesn't work for me I am mostly a vegetarian . So the idea of a synthetic t3/t4 would be ok but I wonder how that differs from just doing the synthroid and some cytomel.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Osteo,

I was thrilled with how I immediately felt on the Thyrolar2 and Cytomel. I felt much better than on the Armour...but I found out I have a milk allergy and since Thyrolar2 has lactose base I was taken off of it......: ( Just precautionary......I was so bummed out........I am back on Armour and Cytomel...... I take 3 Grains of Armour in the morning and 25mcg of Cytomel in afternoon.....my T4 is on the low end of normal...

You have to remember that Armour is a T3 and T4......Thyrolar2 is a synthetic T3 and T4 where Synthroid is only T4 I believe.....

Synthroid and Thyrolar2 have a lactose milk base so I have to stay away from them ....even though I would like to try it again.

I have always been an Armour fan but I did feel 100% better on the Thyrolar2immediately...The Combo of Thyrolar2 and and cytomel was good for me. I never had any problem with the Cytomel bothering me or keeping me awake.

What dose of Cytomel were you on? I know some people only take half of what I do.....

O

Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Oleander -I started on 2.5mcg and could not tolerate even that tiny bit. My dr. did also reduce my synthroid at that time. Yet--it didn't work caused me to feel jittery , like a coffee overdose... That is why I am thinking I have to perhaps do the sustained release t3.I have done further research on armour and thyrolar and the amount of t3 in those is more than I am looking for. After reading Kenneth Blanchard M.D.-What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism, I want to try his idea of 98%t4 and 2%t3 in a slow release. Now I need to figure out how to do this. I take 100 mcg of synthroid now 6 days a wk. and 112 on Sun. So, do you know how the dr. should do the change? I am not sure if he means that in my case just do 98 t4 and 2 t3. I do not think that is the formula. Because if just doesn't make sense to keep the t4 up to 98 with some t3. I think it would be more like 88mcg t4 and 2-3 mcg t3.I borrowed Blanchard's book from the library awhile ago. I just ordered it again to try to figure out what he means. This time I am going to find a way to do this, something needs to change and I think it is my always low ft3 compared to ft4 that is my problem.

Last edited by osteoblast; 01-25-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Closed Thread