It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
(female)

sweetv HB User
Question Thyroid nodule and glaucoma is it related?

I have a nodule in my thyroid and a enlarged goiter. I dont know if that means the same thing. I have been experiencing a tightness in my throat, it feels as if my throat is closing off when I lie down. My throat is sore and hoarse and my lymphnodes have swelled and gone down. All of my lab reports come back normal The needle biopsy was insufficient so now I am going in for surgical biopsy. After the needle biopsy I went to the ER I could hardly turn my head it hurt so bad they took a CT and told me that every thing was fine. I went to the opthamologist to renew my eye glass prescription and they noticed a problem with my eyes. I have had 3 field vision tests since then and they want me to have another one. The only thing that he said to me was that a person my age should not have glaucoma and that if I do that it is a medical condition that is ongoing. My question is could this be due to anything with my thyroid and have you ever heard of this before? What other medical conditions could cause this? I am only 39 years old.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Thyroid nodule and glaucoma is it related?

I hadn't heard of such a connection, so I went in search of articles on the subject. There are many, and there is a definite connection in several ways. It's connected to thyroxine use for hypothyroidism, and it's connected to untreated hyperthyroidism. There is some evidence higher intraocular pressures can be found with untreated hypothyroidism as well.

I have little doubt your thyroid hormone levels are probably not "normal". Do you suspect that you may have low thyroid or high? What other kinds of symptoms do you have?

If you want to post your so-called "normal" lab results, please do. We can better comment on what you should do next to get proper treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

What is the pressure level of your eyes? That is effected by thyroid disorders, as well as glaucoma. When I had a nodule, I had increased pressure behind my eyes, and it was definitely thyroid related, but my eye doctor was clueless.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
(female)

lucy2 HB User

I can attest to the glaucoma being related to the thyroid issues. I have been to an eye doctor twice now since finding out I have graves disease in January. I never had a problem with high pressure before that. I am on the 'verge' of glaucoma the doctor says. He needs to keep a close eye on it. My numbers are in high 'normal' range...he says," I wont tell you that you have it, but you are teetering on getting it." I don't have the other problems related to graves, though. My eyes arent protruding yet.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
(female)

sweetv HB User

Thank you for answering my question so soon.I dont know what my thyroid levels are I'll ask the doctor when I go next week. My other symptoms that I have been feeling for awhile are that I have a hard time with cold weather, hands tremble on occasion, feeling tired all the time, loosing my hair, going grey early that started when I was 25, feeling restless even though I'm tired, gaining weight even though I eat the same but I have reduced the amount that I do in a day. People have told me that I have a yellow tinge to my skin but I dont notice it myself. I have microscopic blood in my urine also that the doctors cant explain. I also have a diagnosis of degenerative bowel which they have done surgery on, and now I only have about 8 cm of my large intestine left so when I have anything go wrong that is where they look first. I have a fluxuation between diarrhea and constipation and also I have had blockages in my small intestines. I dont know if that has anything to do with the surgery or not because there seems to be nothing wrong with the test results or the catscans and x-rays that they have taken at the time. The last two times that I have been in my vitals have been very low in fact so low the last time they hooked me up to a heart monitor. So as you can see I have been through a lot and still have no answers even though it has been getting worse over the last two years. So hopefully you can give me some insite on what is happening.

Closed Thread