It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
(male)

Nick16 HB User
High TSH level and new meds

Wondering if i could get some opinions on this. I had a total thyroidectomy due to cancer on july 31st. After switching from cytomel to synthroid i began to start feeling very light headed, dizzy, and at times everything would 'go dark' (like when you are lying down and stand up fast, you know the feeling.) This has been happening almost everyday to the point were some days i don't want to even drive. I had a blood test back on August 29th and was told to continue my 112mg of synthroid. Still feeling the same effects i called my Endo who told me that i would have to talk to me primary physician because "these symptoms had nothing to do with my meds". My primary had me do another blood test which came back with a high THS level of 15.17. He then called my Endo, who then called in a new prescription of 125mg. This time it was filled with levothyroxine instead of synthroid. I have been on the levothyroxine for only one day. Are there any differences between these two brands and has anyone felt these same symptoms?
Thanks in advance, Nick.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: High TSH level and new meds

Hi Nick16 welcome

Personally I prefer BRAND (Levoxyl) to generic T4, Levothyroxine. (never taken Synthroid) Your Doc has to mark the little DO NOT SUB box on prescription or pharms WILL do this. One time I had a pharm tech tell me "b-u-t,,, it's the SAME med" when they tried to substitute. Had a lil chat with the head Pharm then, she put a note on my file NOT to SUB.

I've never had the symptoms you describe but did feel like a cloud was IN my HEAD on Levothyroxine.

From what you've written, sounds like that Endo is a QUACK. And that perhaps you'd do better with primary-Dr than "these symptoms had nothing to do with my meds" Endo! What dose of Cytomel were you taking? I find it curious they took you off it, when Cytomel very nicely lowers TSH, relieves brain fog, etc. Some people do better on combo of T4 (Synthroid or generic) and T3 (Cytomel). I know combo was MUCH preferred by my body

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
(male)

Nick16 HB User
Re: High TSH level and new meds

Thank you for the quick reply Suey77. Im not sure what the dose of cytomel was. They had me take that right after surgery for about 2 weeks.

As for my Endo, I'm not happy at all. Though i have heard many good stories about him, even from my aunt who had cancer and the same procedure. I just feel that he doesnt care enough and rights down the first numbers that come to mind. I have also read that for younger people they are able to start them at a higher dosage compared to adults. I am 20, so im wondering if they could have started me higher or not?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
(female)

Di999 HB User

I had been taking Levothyroxine for several years until a recent bad experience. I began to have chest pain and thought I was having a heart attack. At the ER, I was told that my TSH was 17.9 and the doc asked me if I had been taking my meds. Of course I had been! I was on .150 mcg. I am also a type 1 diabetics for over 38 years and have been on thyroid replacement since highschool. I had no idea that all my recent symptoms--edema in feet/ankles/face, fatigue, blurry vision, headaches, body aches...were due to my thyroid condition.

My endo sent out a prescription for .175 and I asked that it be for name brand only as the ER doc told me that he had seen and heard about others who had had bad experiences with generic. My endo also said that a TSH like mine wouldn't cause chest pain although the ER doc said it could. Anyone else had a prob with chest pain with hypothyroidism? I have to pay more for name brand, but it's worth it if I don't feel like cr*p all the time!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

My doctor says that Levoxyl is her first med of choice. I've been on it for 2 years with no problems. She did advise me that once I find a drug that works I should stick with that "exact" medication and exact manufacturer - I guess if you get a generic it can have other components mixed in (all meds do) - so some find that the same generic - but from a different manufacturer - does not work as well for them.

Closed Thread