It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

Elaine444 HB User
Can an Eating Disorder Make Hypothyroidism Worse?

I am really confused with all my symptoms. I suffer with an eating disorder (I am refusing doctors help for now just not ready) and restrict to less than 800 calories daily. I also happen to have hypothyroidism that I have had for many years and take Synthroid. Lately my hands and feet have been ice cold and I can never seem to get warm enough. I am so tired and weak I can barely stand it, but still pushing myself to exercise daily. I have severe depression as well, and the muscles in my arms and legs are cramping bad. It is hard to sort out what symptoms come from what. I did have my TSH checked last week and am still waiting for results.

In the meantime, i am just wondering, because I know that restricting food intake slows the metabolism (I just can not bring myself to eat any more than I am) and hypothyroidism also slows the metabolism, can the eating disorder make the hypothyroidism worse even if I am being treated with synthroid? Will I have to keep having my synthroid adjusted?

Old 09-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Can an Eating Disorder Make Hypothyroidism Worse?

I would imagine that eating only 800 calories a day would make it hard to exercise, make you feel weak, and cause your depression and other symptoms as well????

Once you get your weight and eating right, you can worry about the thyroid, but at this point, if you weigh too much or too little, it will be hard to get your medication to the right level.

Focus on your main problem, and then you can fix the rest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Can an Eating Disorder Make Hypothyroidism Worse?

Since anorexia is a known cause of hypothyroidism, it's entirely reasonable to expect it can make it worse.
Wishing you luck.

Closed Thread