It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
(female)

barbarae HB User
Question Hypo - Doing very well and now falling apart again

Hi,

I was diagnosed as hypo about 8 months ago. I take 150mg Synthroid each morning. I started off on 10 mg and worked up to this. I was finally feeling fantastic and happy for a few months .. then boom! I crashed!

My memory is gone again, I can't cope with anything without becoming confused and embarassed. I'm exhausted, have dizzy spells, feel zoned out, my legs feel like they are going to give out on me, my hands and legs tingle and have pins and needles and I'm hyper sensitive to loud noises and bright lights. All of these are symptoms I had before i was diagnosed and they for the most part had gone away.

Any one have any ideas on whats going on with me?

Thanks and best wishes to you all!

Barbarae

Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
(female)

KSR23 HB User
Re: Hypo - Doing very well and now falling apart again

Hello fello hypothyroid buddy. I am on 75 mg of synthroid and only started a month ago. My dad takes 25 mg so I thought I took alot but yours is alot more than mine. Have they increased your medication gradually becuase the lower amounts were not effective. Obviously I guess so. It definitely seems the thyroid get worse with age and passing of time. Origionally my thyroid was just borderline so medication was not recommended because I was only 20. Now I am 23 and my thyroid level was at 10 when last tested. I think the normal level is 0 to 5.00 . I also experience dizziness at times and get tired really easily for someone in their early 20's. I know the sluggishness, nervousness and anxiety are related to the thyroid. I don't know about the dizziness or pins and needles feeling in your arms and legs. Maybe you should have some labwork done just to check if your levels have changed at all and your medication needs to be adjusted. Best of luck in resolving your thyroid issue. I know from experience its no fun.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
(female)

kassikoo HB User

Hi Barbarae its Kassi here we spoke a long time ago when you first came on the board, your symptoms sound like me except the tingling in the legs i dont get that so much now but i used to, my brain plays up tho i get fed up with writing things down i can think of somethink i need to remember turn around and oppps! iv forgot and not even wrote it down lol! sometimes even forgetting where i parked my car Hmmm! not good, my thyroid levels are going up and down so i am putting mine down to that at the min. Im due for another blood test that should be interesting i wish i had answers for you hun i know how you must be feeling love Kassi

Last edited by kassikoo; 09-08-2008 at 12:55 AM.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
(female)

alikat709 HB User

[QUOTE=barbarae;3720235]

My memory is gone again, I can't cope with anything without becoming confused and embarassed. I'm exhausted, have dizzy spells, feel zoned out, my legs feel like they are going to give out on me, my hands and legs tingle and have pins and needles and I'm hyper sensitive to loud noises and bright lights.

It sounds like you might be having adrenal issues, you should ask your doc to test you also test free t3 and free t4 , when I was on synthroid, In addition to the tingling ,I had a burning muscle pain ,and didizziness and the zoned out feeling when my free t4 was too high.But what you say about the sensitivity to loud noises and bright lights would be an adrenal symptom. did you read the book mentioned here in another post? stopthethyroidmaddness? that book goes into much detail about adrenal/thryoid symptoms,with a few self test that are helpful. check it out.
kathy

Old 09-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
(female)

barbarae HB User
Question Re: Hypo - Doing very well and now falling apart again

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate the support and info!

They have increased my doseage slowly and test my tsh level every month. When I hit the 137 level I felt amazing... like I have not felt in years! Then a few months later I was back to being sluggish etc. My level was slightly low and my doseage has increased to 150. I don't feel any difference with the increase.

I'm 53 years old, test my blood suger several times a day, eat properly, walk alot, never sleep well but never have.

I wonder if this could be post-traumatic stress that's causing my relapse?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
(female)

Doritt1 HB User

I can understand how you feel. I was diagnosed 15 years ago, the first year on medication was brilliant. Since then I feel up and down. I am on 125mcg, worked my way up from 50 mcg.
At the moment I feel as though my legs will give way, I can't focus properly, have headaches and feel rubbish.
I put me down to being peri menopause too, I don't think it helps, I am 53 yrs.
My hair is falling out and my stomach is getting bigger and flabby.

It was like this when I was first diagnosed. I had a blood test last May and I was told everything was o.k.!!
I don't think anyone cares really.
Sorry I am not much help. Hope you soon feel better.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
(female)

barbarae HB User

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you are feeling the same way I am. My hair has slowed down it's shedding, thank goodness.. I was afraid I was going to be bald!
I used to be 135-145 and now I'm 220. I had a complete hysterectomy at 30
(23 years ago) and went thru menopause then. No one told me about or offered me hormone replacement!
I was lucky enough to find a very understanding female GP who has been fabulous! But she's leaving the country and so I have to start over with another doctor.
The past few days I've felt fantastic. Is it normal to have such highs and lows? Any suggestions on how to cope with them?
I hope you are feeling better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doritt1 View Post
I can understand how you feel. I was diagnosed 15 years ago, the first year on medication was brilliant. Since then I feel up and down. I am on 125mcg, worked my way up from 50 mcg.
At the moment I feel as though my legs will give way, I can't focus properly, have headaches and feel rubbish.
I put me down to being peri menopause too, I don't think it helps, I am 53 yrs.
My hair is falling out and my stomach is getting bigger and flabby.

It was like this when I was first diagnosed. I had a blood test last May and I was told everything was o.k.!!
I don't think anyone cares really.
Sorry I am not much help. Hope you soon feel better.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Ladies! I can relate bigtime! I think I am having a relapse myself. UGH! I have been hypothyroid for over 3 years now. I am 43. I went from 140 to 175. I can't get the weight off no matter how much a workout and watch what I eat. I am so tired of trying and being depressed about it. I am losing tons of hair again. Very tired lately. Other mysterious things are going on. Aches, pain, bad allergies as usual for me. My ears have been ringing and I am dizzy...although I am on antibiotics for an ear infection.

I am going to the doctor tomorrow to get checked for low thyroid again. I know she gets irritated having me ask to be check every few months, but daw gone it! I am the one suffering with this not her. I have a right to be checked.

Closed Thread