It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
(male)

swraper HB User
Lab Numbers and Hashimotos

I have tested positive for Thyroid antibodies (around 300 - 400 range)
and my Dr says that all my lab results are normal. He doesn't want to do any treatment at this time and wants to recheck labs later. Do any of these labs look abnormal?

Here are my lab results:
Test Results Normal Ranges
FT3 3.1 pg/ml 2.3 – 4.2

FT4 1.13 ng/dl .81 - 1.76

T3 131 ng/dl 60 – 181

T4 7.9 MCG/dl 4.5 – 10.9

TSH 1.261 mcIntUnit/ml .350 – 5.5

Old 09-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Lab Numbers and Hashimotos

I have tested positive for Thyroid antibodies (around 300 - 400 range) and my Dr says that all my lab results are normal. He doesn't want to do any treatment at this time and wants to recheck labs later. Do any of these labs look abnormal?

There is NORMAL in the statistical range and optimal for you. It looks like you may have a TSH watcher for an MD that does not believe in proactive treatment of hashimoto's thyroiditis.

The FT tests have a 2.5-5% error in the results. The T3 and T4 results have a 20% source of error inherent to the test. Thus the main recommendation is to use the FTs and not waste money on the Total T tests. You are male.. so your source of error will be less than a woman. The estrogen and other female hormones can really interfere with the Total T tests. Now let us look to see if you are in the 50-80% range of normal. This is optimal. Optimal in TSH is 0.89-1.1. Most males that are optimal trend 1 or a bit lower on the TSH range. TSh range limit was changed by the A A C E and N A C B in 2006 to 0.3-2.5 for patients without Hashimoto's.. patients with Hashimoto's were told that the NORMAL range recommended was now 0.3-2.0. I am pointing this out because your lab that did the testing is WAY out of date on their TSH ranges. the 5.5 upper limit is OLD. That limit has been shaved in the last 20 years: 5, 4.5, to 3.0 in 2002 and finally 2.5 in 2006 respectively.

FT3 3.1 pg/ml 2.3 – 4.2 You are at 42 % of normal range. This is suboptimal. Not much but when I was in the 40% range in Ft4 and Ft3 I felt like a pummeled cow patty. My antibodies were 286 and 284 at that time as well. Things went down hill in a months time. My antibodies climbed to 1675 and everything else appeared to fall apart.

FT4 1.13 ng/dl .81 - 1.76 You are 33.7% of normal range here. Right now you are just with in balance range for Ft3 and Ft4 levels. You want them with in 5 - 10% of each others. You are just inside 10%. I would be worried that you adrenal glands are taking a hit right now because you are working and living with suboptimal thyroid hormone levels.

How old are you? Not being female menopause and pregnancy issues are not relevant. What is relevant is how you feel? What symptoms are you having? I have a post you may want to look over, it might help you understand the basics of thyroid care and management. Most MDs are not up to snuff on managing Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism.
This is just week 2 in a series of 7 threads on thyroid cares and concerns. It is the starter on basics and lab interpretation, etc. Hope you find it helpful.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

Just for giggles let's see where these tests fall in relation to your Fts:

T3 131 ng/dl 60 – 181
This puts you at 75% of the normal range. Wow. This would almost be top of the optimal range. But this test trends high by about 20%.. more or less depending on diet, supplements, and other medications you may be taking.

T4 7.9 MCG/dl 4.5 – 10.9 This puts you at 53.125% of normal. Once again in optimal range.. but just barely in range.

TSH 1.261 mcIntUnit/ml .350 – 5.5
Already put my 2 cents in on this range and level. Hope my opinion was helpful. I am not an MD.. just a chemist that has had to self diagnose and walk her MDs through the determination of my Hashimoto's and Graves (Yes you can have both.. it is not fun), Adrenal insufficiency, and a few other on going quirks.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
(male)

swraper HB User

Thanks MG.

Actually these numbers are my wife's lab results. She has alot of symptoms such as fatigue, chest pain, palpitations, depression, poor exercise tolerance, muscle pains, muscle fascilations, joint pain etc.

The endriconologist in Bham, AL she is seeing is supposedly well recommended. He has done blood tests twice over the last 8 months. Both times all results were "normal" except for the positive antibodies. He has a wait and see approach. Some of her other Drs believe that she has a condition called Dysautonomia. I would like for her to see a Dr who is more open minded about treating her since she has the positive antibodies.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Are you in Birmingham, AL? If you are willing to travel to Chattanooga, TN, I recommend Dr. Natalie Johnson of the Center for Integrative Medicine. The only Endo in the state of AL that I got good personal referral from another MD was Dr. Ennis in Birmingham. Unfortunately she is not accepting any new patients at this time. You can keep her in mind though. I haven't found a top notch Endo in the state of TN yet where thyroids are concerned.

Good luck and don't give up. Your wife's numbers in my opinion can benefit from an integrative care MD that is willing to proactively treat Hashimoto's.

MG

Closed Thread