It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

I am new, support needed..have sick thyroid

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
WhatTheHeck
(female)

WhatTheHeck HB User
I am new, support needed..have sick thyroid

Hello, thank you for taking the time in reading my posting. Three weeks ago I had a routine blood work done and my first call was concerning the level of enzymes in my liver. Then a few days later I was told I had an abnormal TSH reading. So last week I went back for more testing and was prescribed PTU.

I took the 3 doses Thursday and by that evening the temperature was in the 80's and I was wrapped up in a blanket as I was freezing.

Friday morning I took my 4th dose at 9:30 and within a half hour I was shivering. My family touched my skin and said I felt as if I had just come in from a cold winter's day. I was so cold that even the inside of my mouth and my teeth felt cold. Then minutes later I began to itch and hives also appeared.

I was rushed to the emergency and was told I was allergic to PTU.

Today, Tuesday, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease and I was prescribed tapazole. 1 pill 5mg three times a day. I have takened my second dose.

My stomach feels sore somewhat almost like bloating. I don't know if this is something to be concerned with.

I also asked my doctor for my thyroid results but I don't understand it.

TSH <0.05 (.25 - 50)
Free TY 3.20 ( 0.7 - 1.54)

There is a lot I need to do now, like change my eating habit and life style.

Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: I am new, support needed..have sick thyroid

*** Bumping up for hyperT help ***

Welcome to the board, Whatthe!

The reason you haven't gotten any help yet is because your condition is 8 times less common than hypOthyroidism. Therefore, more hypos visit the board on a daily basis, and they don't necessarily know very much about hyperT. I'll try to help you with what I know until someone experienced with Graves' disease comes along. (I'm hypo myself, so don't have first-hand knowledge.)

You are very, very hyperthyroid. Your free T4 (not "TY" as you typed) is outrageously high. No doubt you feel just awful!

Anti-thyroid drugs like PTU and Tapazole can work wonders to decrease the levels of thyroid hormones in your bloodstream. In combination with a beta blocking med, [Are you taking one of those? You should be.] they can relieve the symptoms of Graves' pretty quickly. The problem is that many people are allergic to one or the other, as you unfortunately discovered. I hope the Tapazole will agree with you better. If it turns out that you can't take either one, you will probably have to resort to either thyroidectomy or radioactive iodine ablation of the gland. There is a vast number of Graves' patients who would not consider RAI ablation under any circumstances. It's a controversial treatment; so if it's offered or even pushed at you, do a lot of research before agreeing to it.

You asked in another thread of there is any "alternative" method to treat Graves'. Unfortunately, there isn't any magic combination of herbs et. al. that will serve to decrease the hormone levels enough to be an advantage over allopathic -"regular" - medical treatment. Graves' is an autoimmune disease caused by antibodies. You would have to eliminate those antibodies to cure the disease, and that is a sad impossibility. You might run into an alternative practitioner who claims to "cure" Graves'. He may even serve up other patients' testimonials that they were "cured" by the practitioner. But... They may have simply entered a period of remission that would have occurred whether they ever met that practitioner at all. Remissions can happen, but they are frequently only temporary.

My strong suggestion to you is to get yourself a copy of Thyroid for Dummies so that you learn all the basics of thyroid function and dysfunction... the terminology and treatments... so that you can become an active participant in the medical decisions that need to be made in the days and months to come.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
korunner
(male)

korunner HB User

Midwest is absolutely right about getting informed. My story started the same as yours(with the liver enzymes) and I too was diagnosed with Graves. The most important thing you can do is learn all you can because many doctors will push the RAI as the way to go. My endo pushed it hard and I almost caved in until I became better informed. I stayed on a decreasing dosage of tapazole for 18 months and have been lucky to have been in remission now for almost 10 months. I have always had a semi-healthy diet and the only thing I've added is I now take garlic and wheatgrass. I don't know if they have anything to do with, however, I know I feel better now than I have in almost three years. My last labs were totally normal so I pray that my next ones will be too.
Good luck and hang in there, it does get better

Old 10-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

How were you diagnosed Graves? Your testing is incomplete if the MD only ran a FT4 and TSH. You need and FT3 level as well as TSI and TRAB. If the TSI and TRAb come back negative you need Hashimoto's testing TPOAb and TGAB. I would recommend just getting a full thyroid Ai panel run from the get go. They should be able to do it all on the blood from one vial. If your antibody tests comback negative you need an uptake scan of your thyroid to determine if it is the entire thyroid or a hot nodule that is the issue. It seems to me that your MD is doing right by trying to treat the immediate concern of high T4 levels, BUT they have not investigate the why or how you got this way. BOTH are very important.

MG

Old 10-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
GravesGirl73
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

I was always told to take my dose at suppertime(right before I ate) but I was given a small dose of 2.5 a day, so I took it once a day. If you could take it with meals it would help,(not on an empty stomach, anyway) some people have stomach upset with it.Try to take it the same times every day, after awhile you will have the dose lowered once you get in normal range and you could do 2 times a day.MKG is right about the antibodies tests. Graves can be complicated and you need to know all the levels of all the thyroid tests, including the ones for Hashi's too.(antibodies) I have all of them.So does she! Sometimes it depends which ones are predominate which determines if you are hypo or hyper. I'm sorry... I'm getting too far ahead of you. Just get all the necessary tests done.LOL!

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 10-23-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Closed Thread