It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

dr. appt. tomorrow - need advice

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
marie74
(female)

marie74 HB User
dr. appt. tomorrow - need advice

I finally have a doctor's appointment tomorrow with a new doc who has agreed to treat my hypothyroid symptoms. I am preparing a list of my symptoms to present to him. I hope someone can help me as to which of my symptoms may be related to hypothyroidism and which aren't. I don't want him to look at my list and think I'm a hypocondriac!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Over the past 2 years:
-chronic diarrhea, bloating, cramping (IBS?)
-feeling like I can't get a deep breath
-fatigue
-weak fingernails
-very dry skin on feet only
-feeling of knot in rt. side of throat/ hard to swallow at times
-dry eyes
-hair loss of 20 or so strands per day (normal?0
-weight gain of 10 lbs. (can't say it's unexplained - haven't been eating the best)
-hot flashes usually in the morning / occasional night sweats
-very heavy irregular periods
-"dry"sinuses and allergy-type feeling which decongestants do not help
-eustacian tube dysfunction
-LPR reflux - treating with Nexium 2X per day
-neck and shoulder pain
-occasional finger joint pains
-leg cramps
-TMJ
-lactose intolerance
-weird "pimples" on thighs
-New symptom - racing mind, skaky legs and hands in morning (stress?)

A quick history:
My diarrhea issues began in spring of 2006.
Had gallbladder removed in July of 2006
Went on Nexium in August 06
Got shingles in March of 2007
I tried to quit Nexium in May of this year and diarrhea issues returned with a vengence shortly thereafter.

I had EGD and colonoscopy in spring of 06. Found reflux and hiatal hernia.
Was also scoped through the nose which resulted in LPR reflux diagnosis. Said the top of my larynx was 'fire-engine red'.

Test results are as follows:
6/7/06 - TSH was 1.23 (range .27-4.2)
5/30/08 - TSH was 1.58 (range .27-4.20)
9/2/08 - TSH was 2.53 (range .34-5.6)
T3 was 105 (range 80-200)
T4 was .77 (range .61-1.12)

By the way, I'm 34 years old - never had any major health issues until this all started in the spring of 2006. Thanks for taking the time - sorry it's a long post. Anyone who has had similar symptoms and found relief with hypothyroid treatment???

You guys are the best! Please reply quick as my appointment is tomorrow - I'm feeling a little (A LOT) anxious about this!!

Last edited by marie74; 09-10-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: forgot details

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: dr. appt. tomorrow - need advice

Marie... Hope you haven't yet left for the doc's.

I can't tell you which symptoms to mention, because I don't know that doc. But I would pick the top 4 or so that affect your daily life the most. For example, fatigue that won't let you get out of bed, coldness that makes you miserable, etc. Male doctors usually won't care about brittle nails, you know?

After you mention the worst of them, if he seems interested to know more, by all means tell him.

Hope this got to you fast enough. Let us know what happened!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Yes I can sympathize with your symptoms. I also thin you need an FT3 test as well as testing for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Your TSH is now hypothyroid according to the A A C E recommended level change back in 2006.

9/2/08 - TSH was 2.53 (range .34-5.6)

T3 was 105 (range 80-200)
You are at 20.8% of normal range here. You are a woman of child bearing age and should have a level in the 60-80% of normal. You are not optimal in range and could benefit from thyroid supplementation.

T4 was .77 (range .61-1.12)
You are at 31.4% of normal range here. Once again you need to be in the 60-80% range of normal.. at least above 50%. Fight for treatment.

In the future you might want to look over this thread of mine. It shows how to do the calculations and talks about levels and symptoms and all the other issues Hashimoto's/hypothyroidism can cause.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 09-11-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
marie74
(female)

marie74 HB User

Well, my dr. appt. didn't quite go as I had planned. I went home with pills for stress/anxiety!! Not much surprise there, huh? He started by saying that, yes, TSH over 2 should be treated. Was totally ready to treat the thyroid based on my TSH of 2.53. Then asked about the diarrhea/IBS. Asked what type of personality I was - type A stressed out, worried, etc. Well, of course I'm stressed out because I feel like crap and have diarrhea all the time. Than he says that stress can make the thyroid reading high. He tells me to quit the Nexium, because that can give you diarrhea. Odd, because the D all started when I tried to quit the Nexium. Anyways, he did give me something to calm my stomach. I ended up with a 'nerve pill' called Pristiq and Zantac (to replace my Nexium).
He also asked how I was sleeping - not very well. Pretty restless. He was ready to give me Lunesta, too!! I'm thinking it would have been a whole lot simpler just to treat the stupid thyroid issue!
I'm trying to be optimistic about the whole thing. Maybe it is all from stress. I am under HUGE amounts of stress. I'm going to try this for two weeks and see how it goes. If it doesn't help anything, I'll go back. I do think that he will treat the hypo. if I demand it......

Not sure if I should how I should feel about the whole thing. Oh, well, one day at a time I guess!?!?!?!?

Closed Thread