It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Blood results - need help with interpretation please

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
scoot
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Blood results - need help with interpretation please

we did a basic panel last week. i'm just listing the abnormals. any input is greatly appreciated:

vit d2/d3, 25 hydroxy:
25-hydroxy d2: <4.0
25-hydroxy d3: 23
25-hydroxy tot: 23
(range 25-80)

HGB (is that hemoglobin?): 11.9 (range 12.0-16.0)

*Just a note: My Ferritin is 14 (range 6-81)

Thyr Peroxid AB: 360.6 (range <9.0) But that's a no brainer. We already knew i've got hashi's.

I'm trying to remember if i read somewhere we often have vitamin D deficiency. I thought I was getting plenty in my diet.

My cholesterol is still under 200, but my LDL is high, my triglycerides are high (and worse than they were 2 years ago) and my HDL is low. drats.

I'm still not feeling great. Either it's thyroid-related or it's not and I just don't know for sure. I'm hoping these results will suggest something helpful.

Last edited by scoot; 09-11-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: senility

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Blood results - need help with interpretation please

Iu have Hashimoto's, Graves, Adrenal insufficiency, we are now looking into insulin resistance and PCOS.. I am trying for a record on all the funny conditions.

But back to you... I have low vit D and low ferritin.. I was also low in B12. This is very common in hypothyroid patients WITH adrenal dysfunction. You need to get your adrenal function tested. Make sure your MD does a complete adrenal panel and profile.. or sends you to an Endo that will.

I can not say if it is the thyroid or the adrenal glands that cause the issue. The thyroid and adrenals and pituitary gland and much more are part of your endocrine system. When the endocrine system is dysfunctional.. even in part your ability to absorb and process minerals, vitamins, supplements, food is all compromised. This shows up in body chemistry imbalances.

While waiting on further blood work you need to look into getting a good iron supplement. NOT iron sulfate. GO for an oxalate, citrate, or best in absorption fumerate for of iron. Ferrous fumerate is what I use. I can take a third the amount of the other forms of iron and get the same amount absorbed into my system.. minus the tummy upset.

You also need to add a vitamin D supplement and make sun dates. You don't need much time in the sun.. 15 minutes a day is recommended.. but you do need to show enough skin for it to be effective. This isn't enough for me though.. I also have to take 3-4 viactive vita chews a day. Your MD may put you on a vit D script. I need the potassium and Ca as well so the viactives work out well.

You should also get your B12 levels checked. I take a super B complex daily. This is 1000-2000% of the recommended daily limit.. BUT now I have mid range B12 levels.. so I guess I need more. It wouldn't hurt to add B12 to your regime as soon as you have your blood tested. It is important in the T4 T3 conversion process and more.

Well that was a lot of typing for me to be telling you it could be thyroid.. or it could be something else.
MG

Old 09-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
scoot
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

thanks MG

my B12 was taken as well: 274 (range 200-1000) so its on the low end. does that mean i could stand to take some B12 supplements?

i had a saliva test and DHEA three years ago were low, showing my adrenals were overworked. the theory was once my thyroid got back on track, so would the adrenals. recently, a doc wanted to do a dexa suppression test but i was too scared to take the steroid prep. in the meantime i began holistic adrenal support.

btw, regarding my adrenals: my cortisol AM was 13 in feb 2007. now my cortisol AM is 18.7 (range 4.3-22.4) so i take that as a good sign. is that a good sign?

i'm waiting to hear back from my doc. i'm ready to go on iron supplements, and vit d supplements (i'll never get enough sun on me), and fish oil for the cholesterol.

thanks

Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You want B12 levels in the 50- 80% of range. So yes.. you should add a B12 supplement. Your cortisol levels coming up is a good sign. But cortisol is one of 12 products of the adrenal gland. You need all 12 products.. nice to know huh.

It is true that when the thyroid is optimal the adrenal glands may recover if they were just stressed. There is also a 20% chance that adrenal glands can atrophe and shut down and never wake back up. Luckily it is looking like yours are perking up. Good for your ADRENAL glands. Do a happy dance.

Now you can take B12 and fish oil with or near your thyroid supplements. Your Iron and vit D if it is accompanied with potassium and calcium or magnesium needs to be taken 8 hours before or four hours after you take your thyroid supplements. I live by a frigging clock.. it gets annoying. But I have 25 pills to take a day. I still can not believe the amount of medication and supplements I have to take just to feel alive. Geez I am 33. I can not wait to become an cranky old woman with a wagon load of meds.

MG

Old 09-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
scoot
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

wow thanks for the info MG

i'm glad about my cortisol. i'm feeling pretty cruddy overall, and will be very pleased if a few tweaks of my nutritional intake and a handful of supplements would get me back to feeling decent again.

don't worry, by the time we're old, they'll have figured out a way to fashion everything we need into one tiny pill.

Closed Thread