It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

POST-OP Day 2- 7....Hell...wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
mmmcoffee
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User
POST-OP Day 2- 7....Hell...wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Okay, first day was great. Then went downhill. I ended up in ER because calcium levels were so low. I was taking huge amounts of supplements, but apparently, my body was not absorbing them.

So, 2 trips to E.R. then a few nights in the hospital, IV's to bring up calcium, tons of calls to me Endo, etc etc Had to use the IV, because the HUGE amount of calcium pills were killing my stomach. I couldn't eat or keep anything down at all, even the meds! So, it's been a busy week! Now, I'm just really tired still, it'll take a while to get all the meds straight. My neck and throat hurt when I wake up in the a.m. But that's to be expected. So, there's a short update. Hopefully, things will improve. At one point in the hospital, I wanted them to put my thyroid back and not have to go thru this crap. My kids laughed at that one.

So, I'll keep you all posted on how the recovery goes. Keeping fingers crossed!

---mmmcoffee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
Oleander53
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: POST-OP Day 2- 7....Hell...wouldn't wish this on anyone.

MM, I am so sorry........what an ordeal and I am sure you do not feel good at all. How about a liquid Calcium?. It is easy on the stomach and absorbs well, does not taste bad......I am missing my gallbladder and needed an easy to asorb one. This is what is in it. 1 tablespoon - Calcium Carbonate - 600 mg., Magnesium - 300 mg., Vitamin D (calciferol) - 100 IU and Potassium Bicarbonate - 25 mg. HHA liquid Calcium. Not sure if this one would work for you.

Some people breeze through a TT and some do not as we read on this board. Thanks for having the energy and courage to share with us about this.....
Hang in there, they will get it right.

Please get feeling well. THank you for sharing..........Oleander

Old 09-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
famnd
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

What is the name of the liquid calcium? Thanks. Fam

Old 09-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
arizo01
(female)

arizo01 HB User

Wow mmmcoffee, what a week you had!!!
It really surprised me when you wrote that you were sent home the same day of the surgery. In my case they withdrew blood right after surgery and my levels were fine but they kept me overnight anyway, they checked again 12 hrs later and then my levels were low, that's how I ended up staying at the hospital 2 more days but, even though it got me really depressed, I'm thankful that they took their time to sent me home when my levels went back to normal because I cannot think of having that IV inserted in my arm again, that thing hurts!! I have small veins as they told me and every time I need my blood drawn is a drama, with the IV same thing, to this day, the veins inside are tender when i press or touch them and my surgery was on the 2nd! I once wrote here I envy those who had an easy time with theirs TT's, mine wasn't that easy, but I'm feeling better each day, in my case is a slow process I guess.
Best wishes to you, I hope you get better soon!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Reece
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Sorry you had that calcium problem (so thankful I didn't have that at all!), wishing you a speedy recovery!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
mmmcoffee
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Ariz---Yes, I have the same vein problem. It was so hard to get blood or even start the IV. Once they got the IV in, it stayed. Even when I was back on oral calcium, they left it in just in case they would need it again, because it was so difficult to get in in the first place.

Well, I've been home for 2 days now, taking the calcitrol and calcium and synthroid. I can tell when I haven't taken the calcium, which is odd I think. I have to take 4 a day, but not when I take the synthroid. Can't take them together.

What I wondered was that if anyone has had issues with a (What I call) gag factor? Ever since the surgery, it feels like something is stuck in my throat which causes me to gag. It's hard to eat, even soft foods sometimes. The surgery did tell me they used a larger than normal (and stiffer than normal) breathing tube during the operation, so it expect it would be sore. But the gag feeling is really driving me crazy. Maybe it's just still swollen in there. I have an Endo follow up next week, and surgeon a few weeks after that. So I guess I'll ask them if it's still an issue. I do have to call for the biopsy results tomorrow. I called last week and the secretary said "yes, they're in" but wouldn't give me any info. Probably policy or protocol.

But, SLOWLY I am feeling a little better. I went for a short walk yesterday and was completely exhausted, but I don't want to just sit around and do nothing. I'm not one to sit still, which drives me crazy--not having energy. But hopefully, once the meds take full effect, it'll be different.

Thanks for your responses, comments and info. I'll talk to you all soon.

---mmmcoffee

Last edited by mmmcoffee; 09-14-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
niecsey
Inactive
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi l did mine felt like something was rising up my throat it lasted a few weeks. I too had calcium issues as l lost 2 parathyroid glands due to the tt l had the iv too and my calciums been fine so lm told ever since. Good luck x

Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
mmmcoffee
(female)

mmmcoffee HB User

Thank you. At least I know this feeling should go away. I think that's the worst, most annoying part. I wasn't sure if it was just me, or if others felt it too.
Thanks

---mmmcoffee

Old 09-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
Oleander53
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

MMM, I just know when I have my TT someday ( I put it off) I will have a terrible time post op......I do not do well post surgery.....always something weird...when I had my gallbladder out they took my breathing tube out too soon and had to put it back in.....not fun since I was awake, I just could not breathe on my own...... my throat was sore for 3 weeks........

I know you will be feeling better soon.............Much Love. Oleander

Closed Thread