It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

diane888 HB User
how to strengthen your voice after thyroid surgery

how to strengthen your voice after thyroid surgery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: how to strengthen your voice after thyroid surgery

How long ago was your surgery? How weak is your voice? In normal situations there is a lot of swelling, it goes down very gradually, and the voice gets gradually stronger.

If there is vocal chord paralysis, it takes a while too, can get better by itself, or after a few months, there are injections an ENT can give you to get it better at that point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
(female)

diane888 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
How long ago was your surgery? How weak is your voice? In normal situations there is a lot of swelling, it goes down very gradually, and the voice gets gradually stronger.

If there is vocal chord paralysis, it takes a while too, can get better by itself, or after a few months, there are injections an ENT can give you to get it better at that point.
i had my surgery on 8-21-08 i had my whole thyroid removed because it was very enlarged.right now my voice is weak and hoarse -i thought it might be some exercise or therapy that would help.the dr said my vocal cords were working fine

Old 09-14-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I took used some advil, and just waited, because my surgeon told me that there's swelling for months after surgery, internally, so I figured when the swelling went down, it would get stronger.

After my tt, I had a voice, but I couldn't extend it, then I could extend it but couldn't sing, then suddenly, I realized, around 8-12 weeks, it was pretty much back to normal.

My friend had two surgeries (due to discovery of cancer on her first lobectomy), and she's a public speaker, and she really had no voice for several months, and then around month 3 it started returning stronger and stronger, and she says by around 5 months ago, she was close to normal, and she actually had one vocal chord paralyzed.

It's a lot of patience......you could do speech exercises, but I think resting it as much as possible is key.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane888 View Post
i had my surgery on 8-21-08 i had my whole thyroid removed because it was very enlarged.right now my voice is weak and hoarse -i thought it might be some exercise or therapy that would help.the dr said my vocal cords were working fine
I had vocal chord nerve damage after my surgery and the answer was rest, rest and more rest. You cant hurry this and theres really very little you can do to help it along, you've just gotta wait for it to heal itself. 2 years on and my voice is pretty much back to normal, but when I speak for long periods it goes very weak - this is due to the damage though I think so you should be ok

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 09-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
(female)

diane888 HB User

thank you so much God bless you

Closed Thread