It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

help w/ my results?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
willismoonis
(female)

willismoonis HB User
Newly diagnosed hypo-greetings to all

Hi all,

I've read many, many threads on this board and wanted to jump in with my story. I'm a 33 yo woman with no kids (yet). I asked my doctor for blood tests this week due to many symptoms-

Extreme fatigue, severe depression, anxiety, obsessive thoughts, panic attacks, insomnia (difficulty falling asleep and waking multiple times a night, after 2-3 hours sleep), itchy bumps on legs, muscle and back pain, gas, irritability, funky periods, swollen lymph nodes in neck, brain fog, nightmares, wanting to be alone and stay at home/social phobia, weight gain, cold sensitivity, light sensitivity, loss of libido, repeated UTI and yeast infections, sweet and salt cravings, severe hypoglycemia, dry mouth, unquenchable thirst, lack of interest in usual activities, headaches, and frequent urination.

Everything was normal but my TSH, which was 6.5, which seems kind of low given how high it can get and how HORRIBLE I feel. I can barely get out of bed. I am self-employed and have been working from bed for weeks now, just kind of thinking that I'm lazy or not exercising enough. My MD agrees that I am hypo and I am getting more tests done and meeting with him on Monday, ostensibly for Synthroid. I feel like crap and I'm just laying here in bed reading 'Living Well with Hypothyroidism", but I'm also kind of glad that it's NOT all in my head, that I'm NOT just lazy, and that hopefully now it CAN get better, because this feels like no way to live! I was worried that maybe everything was fine and...I don't know. That I just had to accept it or something.

It will get better, probably, right, after I find the right meds? I have honestly felt overexerted from going into another ROOM at times!

Thanks for reading and thank you all for being here on this board. It has been helpful reading all the threads and knowing that I'm not alone.

willismoonis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Di999890
(female)

Di999890 HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed hypo-greetings to all

Hi Will,

I know exactly what you mean by feeling that you shouldn't maybe feel so bad with your TSH at 6.5. I've seen posts from folks whose TSH was 130 and even 300!! Mine this week was 17.9 and I did indeed feel pretty yucky. I don't think I could live with a level like 100 or more. In addition to most of your symptoms I also had chest pain and periodic blurry vision that drove me mad. I couldn't focus on anything either with or without my glasses.

I also understand how that now you have been diagnosed, you feel kind of vindicated in how bad you've been feeling. I wanted to tell everyone, "See! I do have a reason for being so tired and feeling like I'm in a fog and having headaches all the time and being cranky...".

My probs may have been due to a bad prescription of generic meds. I went to the ER with chest pain thinking I was having a heart attack. The ER doc found the high TSH. He asked me if I had been taking my levo and I told him I never missed more than maybe one or two a week at very most. I was at the end of a three month supply (I do mail order) and he thought maybe that bottle was no good.

I was on levothyroxine .150mcg so my endo upped it to .175 and made sure that I got a name brand and not generic. I just started it today. My last test prior to all these symptoms had been last October so my endo didn't think that anything had changed that drastically since then even when I told her about my swollen ankles/face and fatigue in May. She looked back at my chart and said my last TSH was fine so that couldn't be the problem. Well..surprize!! It was. If she had checked then I wouldn't have had to spend the whole summer feeling like poopy. I go back for another check Oct 10 and I'm gonna ask her about that.

Hang in there Will--with the right doc and meds, you can feel great again. It sometimes just takes some determination and being your own advocate. Don't be afraid to ask questions and speak up for yourself. Good luck

Old 09-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
willismoonis
(female)

willismoonis HB User

Thank you so much, Di999! I very much appreciate your reply.

I can't wait to start taking meds so I can feel better.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
scoot
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

i think the highest my tsh was 8.something, and i felt like i was going to go crazy. it's different for everyone. some have very high tsh numbers and no symptoms.

i'm glad your doc is treating you although you are 'within normal ranges' (except your tsh which is out of range of course).

you should feel better after being on meds a while, but it can be a slow process. patience is important.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
tootal2
(male)

tootal2 HB User

I had all those problems At work i had to turn down the work lights because its was hurting my eyes. Other workers thought it was strange. also my eyes got dry all the time. also i was bullied at work most of the day while my thyroid was low my voice got very horse when i was bullied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willismoonis View Post
Hi all,

Extreme fatigue, severe depression, anxiety, obsessive thoughts, panic attacks, insomnia (difficulty falling asleep and waking multiple times a night, after 2-3 hours sleep), itchy bumps on legs, muscle and back pain, gas, irritability, funky periods, swollen lymph nodes in neck, brain fog, nightmares, wanting to be alone and stay at home/social phobia, weight gain, cold sensitivity, light sensitivity, loss of libido, repeated UTI and yeast infections, sweet and salt cravings, severe hypoglycemia, dry mouth, unquenchable thirst, lack of interest in usual activities, headaches, and frequent urination.

willismoonis

Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
Di999890
(female)

Di999890 HB User

Tootal2,

People can be so insensitive! I've worked in places with people who made fun of me for testing my blood sugar several times a day (been Type 1 since age of 5). I just chalk it all up to ignorance and lack of manners. That doesn't make it any easier, but at least you know that you are a worthy person who deserves better! I hope the best for anyone who is dealing with a chronic medical issue. It can be soooo tiring.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
Suey77
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Newly diagnosed hypo-greetings to all

Hi willismoonis ~ welcome!

Just wanted to caution you in this:
Quote:
I can't wait to start taking meds so I can feel better.
Thy med are NOT an automatic fix like taking aspirin is for a headache. It could take a while before you feel any LASTING changes. And often with each dose increase, we feel better for 1-2 weeks. THEN our body gets used to the dose, realizes is still not enough Thy med, so the symptoms creep (or slam } back. It's a totally normal part of the process. When you get closer and closer to the RIGHT dose, its MUCH easier

I felt absolutely HORRID with TSH of 4.79, then thought I'd gone off the deep end when it hit 7.63. And wanted to b e a t the dr who told me that TSH wasNOT high

Living Well with Hypo-Thy is a GREAT book

Old 09-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
willismoonis
(female)

willismoonis HB User

Thank you, Suey. I know that the meds won't make me feel better *immediately*. I'm just grasping at straws at this point and I need something. Now that I know what's going on I can tell that it's gotten worse recently and I'm not really functioning. As long as I start on my way to feeling better, that's the important thing. I was starting to forget what normal is. Thanks all, for your replies.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
alikat709
(female)

alikat709 HB User

I would suggest going the natural route, armour thryoid instead of synthroid.
I just made the switch to armour in june (synthroid since 1990) all I can say is WOW !! what a difference, I am still not optimal yet,but, I can tell you my joint pain, muscle pain, caarpal tunnel pain, achilles tendonitis, headaches,and the brain fog, etc... are GONE...
kathy

Old 09-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
willismoonis
(female)

willismoonis HB User
help w/ my results?

Hi all,

I got my results back today. Any input?

TSH: 6.5, TRI-IODOTHYRONINE, TOTAL (I think this might be the non-free T#?): 128, FT4: 1.1.

I also had some fertility tests done. My FSH is 4.4 (Nice!) and my LH is 14.7.

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

First welcome to our thyroid dysfunctional family. I am sorry you are suffering and one of us now; but, you are not alone and there are many who understand and suffer in silence. Suffering in silence is wrong. We shouldn't have to suffer or be silent about it. The more of us that band together the better the chances are that we will be able to get the care we deserve. I rarely find any thyroid sufferer that strikes gold on the first Swing of the MD pick. On average my family has taken 5-13 years to get a good MD.. cycles start over when your MD retires. *snort* I refuse to rant.. biting my fingers..

I am going to step in here and make a comment on my take on Alikat's reply. ANY thyroid suffer needs an MD that is willing to treat them OPTIMALLY. This requires an MD that is willing to listen to your symptoms and look at your labs with a knowledgable eye. Some people need a combination of T4 and T3. Studies are leaning to a 2 to 3 ratio of people needing some T3 in their supplement regime. HOWEVER there are those that can not take a T3 supplement because.. well we are have freaky body chemistry that likes to be difficult and over convert all our T4 to T3. I do this as a result of Adrenal insufficiency. Feeding my system T4 and T3 before adrenal supplementation would have been a straight trip into splitsville between hypoT T4 hades and hyperT T3 La La Land with my condition. Been there done it.. NOT a pleasant experience. I almost went into adrenal crisis.

So yes, I think you need an MD that is willing to prescribe T3 WHEN it is warrented. Your MD (IF THYROID SAVVY) will be able to tell if you need T3 supplementation by you actual T4 and T3 levels and ratio. But before you add any T3 supplementation you have to determine if your T3 levels are low and why they are low. Adding T3 to someone with adrenal dysfunction is a VERY BAD idea.

Some people can not do straight T4 supplementation or straight T4/T3 combinations. Some people have issues with inert ingrediants and supplement formulations and they have to shop around as a result. The key is that you keep moving forward at a steady pace. you can adjust medication levels every 4-6 weeks. Being made to wait more than 8 weeks for your next blood test and adjustment check is cruelty under the gise of laziness. It is alright to mix and match and work with both to achieve optimal thyroid hormone levels. T3 supplementation is NOT EVIL, of times it is necessary. The key is that you follow your blood work and symptoms carefully until you find the right combination of supplements for you.

Here is my thread series on my take of basic thyroid care. Have a look at it when you have a few spare moments it may just be helpful to you.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479[/url]

In summary everyone deserves and should have optimal thyroid care. Optimal thyroid care is the sweet spot where your symptoms disappear and your hormone levels are balanced in the OPTIMAL range. The OPTIMAL range for 90% of the non-dysfunctional thyroid populace is 50-80% of the FT3 and FT4 normal range. The OPTIMAL TSH is 0.89-1.1. The TSH normal range was changed in 2006 to 0.3-2.5. If your MD doesn't know or agree with these facts.. you are going to have to fight for optimal treatment. Women have a slightly harder time with optimal ranges, because our ranges shift depending on whether we are pre (60-80% of the Ft normal range) or post menopausal (40-70% of the FT normal range). A good MD will know this and be able to work around these facts and achieve optimal levels.

Good luck and best wishes to you all.
Sincerely,
MG

Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: help w/ my results?

There should be ranges to go with those results.

Your TSH is way too high. Optimal is 0.89-1.1 in range on a T4 supplement. Things change when you start taking a T3 supplement. But you are not on meds yet.. right?

Your Ft4 of 1.1 is suboptimal if the lab is using one of the more standard ranges of 0.8-1.8. This would put you at 30% in the normal range. Optimal for a premeno female is 60-80% in the normal range.

Your T3 is 128. The ranges change. But many lower limits are 80. This would make you suboptimal in T3 as well. You need thyroid supplementation. Best way to start is with a T4 supplement. This will allow any T4 conversion errors to come apparent after 4-6 weeks of supplementation and then it will become more apparent if adrenal testing or additional avenues should be evaluated.

Right now you are suboptimal and need medication. You also need to get your MD to check out WHY you are hypothyroid. If you are hypothyroid as a result of Hashimoto's thyroiditis, you need to know. So when you go in for additional testing and your supplement script. Get your MD to run the following blood tests on you: TPOAb, TGAb, and FT3. With these tests you will have completed a basic hypothyroid panel.

I replied in more detail on your other post with a helpful thread url posted in as well.

Good luck,
MG

Old 09-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
marie74
(female)

marie74 HB User

willis,
Can you describe the 'itchy bumps' on your legs? I went to my MD last week, because he was going to treat my thyroid (TSH 2.53 - I know it's not way high, but I feel horrible). Anyway, one of the things I listed as 'odd' were these pimple-like things I get on my thighs.... I've been wondering if they were thyroid-related. To make a long story short, he blamed everything on stress and put me on anti-anxiety meds. I'm trying to be optimistic and give them a try. I have to go back next week and I'm hoping he'll humor me and treat the thyroid issue.
Good luck, and let me know about the 'bumps'.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
willismoonis
(female)

willismoonis HB User

Hi Marie! Thanks for writing. I have been on anti anxiety and depression meds for YEARS, I think because of this thyroid problem. The itchy bumps have been sort of like flea bites or spider bites, or maybe more like hives. It's hard to say exactly. But I will find myself itchy in places and have these little bumps/welts. I've heard that skin issues are common with hypo. There is usually 1-3 of them in one little area, and they are mostly on my legs and ess commonly on other parts of my body. Not sure how helpful that is, but I have dealt with them way more lately as my other symptoms have increased so I've thought that it was related.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:58 AM   #15
Suey77
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Newly diagnosed hypo-greetings to all

Quote:
I know that the meds won't make me feel better *immediately*.
Glad to hear that willismoonis,,, SOOO many thyroid new-comers don't seem to grasp that concept.

Quote:
As long as I start on my way to feeling better,
h a i l to that
Sue

Closed Thread