It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Lab results - Help Please

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
nyc28
(female)

nyc28 HB User
Lab results - Help Please

Got my results back and would like help interpreting them, please. I went to a doctor over a year ago and he ordered a TSH and it came back as normal. He only put me on a beta blocker for the chest pain and fast heart beats, so I wanted to order my own labs just to be thorough.

Here are my results and then my symptoms. Any thoughts would be appreciated since I'm not sure what to do from here. Thanks in advance.

Hormone Test In Range Units Range
Free T4 (blood spot) 1.5 ng/dL 0.7-2.5
Free T3 (blood spot) 2.5 pg/ml 2.5-6.5
TSH (blood spot) 1.7 uU/ml 0.5-3.0
TPO (blood spot)* 93 IU/ml 0-150 (70-150 borderline)

-hot flashes
-shedding (mild)
-very heavy irregular periods
-difficulty losing weight
-heart palpitations (had ekg/chest x-ray which was said to be normal)
-mild chest pain
-difficulty concentrating
-rapid heartbeats
-anxiety
-brittle nails
-nervousness
-dry, itchy eyes, uneven eyes (which im having surgically corrected)
-increased bowel movements
-Had gall bladder disease over a decade ago and now that I think back, shortly after the removal of my gall bladder, I started noticing my eyes becoming uneven and I started having anxiety

Last edited by nyc28; 09-15-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Lab results - Help Please

Free T4 (blood spot) 1.5 ng/dL 0.7-2.5 You are at 44.4% in range here. This is suboptimal for all but some menopausal females.
Free T3 (blood spot) 2.5 pg/ml 2.5-6.5
This is at 0% of the normal range. You can not be any lower and still be on the cusp of the normal range.
TSH (blood spot) 1.7 uU/ml 0.5-3.0
Yeah! a lab that is almost at the current recommended TSH range. Normal range changed to 0.3-2.5 in 2006. You are not in optimal range, but given your FT3 I would have expected your TSH to be higher.
TPO (blood spot)* 93 IU/ml 0-150 (70-150 borderline) This looks to me like you have Hashimoto's.. especially given your symptoms.

A blood spot test is not as accurate as a full serum test, but given these results you should be able to get a sympathetic MD to order a confirmation set of tests for you. I would be looking for a different MD.

MG

Old 09-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #3
nyc28
(female)

nyc28 HB User

I think you are right about finding a new doctor since this one seems to ignore me when I mention symptoms which is what prompted me to get my own tests. So I'm just not confident or comfortable with having him treat me.

I will post my new results as soon as I get a full serum test done.

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate the advice.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
marie74
(female)

marie74 HB User

Wow,
When I read your symptoms, they sounded almost identical to mine. I too had my gallbladder out (2 years ago). My odd symptoms began around the same time. My TSH is 2.53 and when I went to the doctor last week, he began the visit by saying that it should be treated, but ended up only giving me pills for anxiety. YIKES!! My biggest issue is the diarrhea and fatigue. But I have so many of the other symptoms you listed, too. I'm going back next week and am hoping he'll humor me and treat the thyroid issue.

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
nyc28
(female)

nyc28 HB User

I haven't had many problems with diarrhea, so guess I'm lucky.

It is nice to know someone out there is having similar issues. I was a teen when I had my gallbladder removed. I just wish I knew back then what I know now. It seems that everything that has ever been wrong with me is due to this thyroid issue. I'm sort of relieved now to know what is wrong with me, but now to find a doctor who will listen might be a new challenge.

Anyway, thanks and good luck to you too.

Would be great to hear how things go with your next doctor's visit.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Marie,

Fatigue and diarrhea may be the result of IBS which sometimes accompanies Hashimoto's.. OR adrenal insufficiency. When either of these things happen they can hit your gut. All in all I think with your TSH you need a full thyroid panel run and most likely need treatment. If you have an adrenal issue on top of a thyroid issue you need to manage your adrenals carefully in conjunction with your thyroid issue.

MG

Old 09-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
marie74
(female)

marie74 HB User

What tests should I ask for to find out about Hashimotos and/or adrenal insufficency? I just feel so frustrated right now that the dr. said my thyroid # was high, but just put me on something for anxiety!!!! Yes, I am stressed out, but it's from feeling like crap!! It feels good just to 'talk' to someone who's been there.
Thanks for listening!!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hashimoto's blood tests are serum TPOAb and TGAb. They do occasionally give FALSE negatives. The only 100 % identification method for Hashi's is a biopsy of the thyroid tissue. The TPOAb is the next best thing with 85% accuracy rate in identification of Hashimoto's.

Adrenal insufficiency can be characterized completely using a few tests.. they are NOT cheap.. ACTH and cortisol blood serum, cortisol saliva.. these are not too bad.. the nasty test is the ACTH stim test. For the best accuracy on these tests it is best not to be on hormone supplements.. like birth control pills. A good Endo should be willing to do a complete adrenal profile on you.. but the Hashimoto's and ACTH and cortisol blood serum, cortisol saliva should be done first. If adrenals are an issue something will be off in this base profile.

MG

Closed Thread