It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
(male)

Rickerus HB User
Questions about Hashimoto's for newly diagnosed (male) patient

Firstly, I am a man recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I point this out because from what I've been able to determine from reading about it online the ratio of people with the disease is somewhere between 10:1 and 50:1 women to men. Secondly, I have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism for about 10 years and have been on anywhere from 137-175 mcg/day of Levoxyl. When I first saw my doctor because I was feeling sluggish my TSH was 225. Levoxyl has generally helped to get it down to normal range but occasionally it goes haywire and spikes back up. My doctor sent me to an Endocrinologist recently who told me (rather casually) that there is an "autoimmune component" to my condition and that in fact I have Hashimoto's disease. He said it was no big deal, but it feels like kind of a big deal to me. Of course it took about 3 months to get an appointment with him and on the day after I saw him I noticed a small bald patch on the back of my head. I otherwise have thick hair and it is in a spot that does not seem to indicate the onset of normal male baldness. I also have 2 small spots on my chin where hair no longer is growing. ***** seems to point to alopecia areata which apparently can be triggered by thyroid problems. I've left a message with the Endocrinologist by so far have not heard back.

So I have several questions:
  • Does alopecia areata sound like a logical self diagnosis?
  • Assuming this is the problem, what should I do (I assume people will say "see a dermatoligist", but is there anything else?)
  • Is there anything different to be aware of with this disease because I am a man?
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for where to start to get ahead of this problem (ie, good books, groups, etc)?
  • Should I be worried that I might be at risk for other autoimmune conditions (ie, diabetes, MS, etc)?

I don't mean to sound paranoid with that last question, but I'm a little tired of how casual my doctors have been up until now and for some reason this recent development of going from a condition (hypothyroidism) to a disease (Hashimoto's) has me a little on edge.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

RBH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

namelessme HB User
Re: Questions about Hashimoto's for newly diagnosed (male) patient

Alopecia is an interesting symptom, and I'm curious what others say about it. I was recently diagnosed with Hashi's too, although not hypothyroid exactly... perhaps subclinical. But I do have a patch on the nape of my neck, where no facial hair grows anymore. I noticed this about a year ago, which, when I think about it, is when some of my symptoms just about started.

And although having a disease isn't fun, I wouldn't be overly concerned about Hashimoto's in of itself. I think we are at an increased risk for some other autoimmune diseases, and perhaps it can cause some symptoms on its own, but it's mostly just a cause for your hypothyroidism. Thyroid hormones (Synthroid, etc), should hopefully reduce the Hashi antibodies anyway. If you are having any odd symptoms or don't feel as well as normal, you can ask your doctor about changing your dosage, or if you need some T3 added.

Last edited by namelessme; 09-15-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
(male)

Rickerus HB User
Re: Questions about Hashimoto's for newly diagnosed (male) patient

Thanks for the reassurance Namlessme I just spoke with my doctor who diagnosed the spots on my chin over the phone as a fungal condition called tinea barbae, although I am 100% convinced she is wrong. For one, the spots look exactly like pics I found of alopecia areata and nothing like the pics of tinea barbae, and while I know pics are not a reliable source to base my judgment on, I think the fact that all of the descriptions I've seen of alopecia areata have included some reference to Hashimoto's or other autoimmune diseases pretty much seals the deal for me. Nonetheless I'm going in for another appointment this Friday. I'll post the results.

R

Closed Thread