It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Synthroid to Armour or Synthroid and Cytomel...how does it work?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
one2wonder
(female)

one2wonder HB User
Synthroid to Armour or Synthroid and Cytomel...how does it work?

I am on straight 100 mcg Synthroid. If I end up having Cytomel added, or go to just Armour, how does it work? By that I mean is it a slow gradual change to it or what? Since Synthoid stays in your system for a while, I don't want to have too much meds in my system at once.

I have read that if you add Cytomel to Synthroid, you should go to about half the does of Synthroid then add 5mcg of Cytomel once a day for a week or so then add another 5 mcg and then see where things are. In my case, go to 50mcg Synthroid then 5mcg Cytomel for a week or two and and then add another 5 mcg Is that right?

How would you know how much of the meds you need? Doesn't TSH totally go out the window when you add T3 to the mix and then you dose based on Free T levels being in mid-range and symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Synthroid to Armour or Synthroid and Cytomel...how does it work?

You have the basics. You know what needs to be done.

When adding T3 to t4 supplementation you normally have to decrease the T4 a bit. In your case you are like 90% in T4 right? That is above the optimal range. So dropping back 25 mcgs in T4 and adding 5 mcgs of cytomel is a good start. Or you can drop the T4 supplement completely and add 1 grain of Armour and titrate up from there. It is a hurry and wait process, where every 4-6 weeks you go and get your blood levels checked. Ft3 and FT4. You adjust your medication according to your FTs.. not TSH.

MG

Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
one2wonder
(female)

one2wonder HB User

I had thought that when you take Cytomel you should start slow for a week or so and then take a dose in the am and one in the pm. Do you think backing off to just 75mcg in Synthroid would do the trick? Wouldn't 75 of T4 and 5 of T3 be equivalent to about 95mcg of T4, and if I took 75 of T4 and 10 total of T3 wouldn't that=115 of T4?

Then in monitoring of FTs you monitor them to mid-range, right?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You aime to fall into the 50 -80% range of normal WHERE your symptoms disappear and your Ft3 and Ft4 are with in 10% of each other. So a Ft4 of 65% and FT3 of 55% would be considered balanced and good. But a 65 and 65 would be better. Make sense?

MG

Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
one2wonder
(female)

one2wonder HB User

I had thought that when you take Cytomel you should start slow for a week or so and then take a dose in the am and one in the pm. Do you think backing off to just 75mcg in Synthroid would do the trick? Wouldn't 75 of T4 and 5 of T3 be equivalent to about 95mcg of T4, and if I took 75 of T4 and 10 total of T3 wouldn't that=115 of T4?

Then in monitoring of FTs you monitor them to mid-range, right?

Old 09-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
one2wonder
(female)

one2wonder HB User

Oops...I double-posted...Sorry, still getting the hang of things. Yes, the range thing makes sense. That was king of what I was thinking.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
FinnMaid
Senior Veteran
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2wonder View Post
Yes you should start slowly - I was on 5 mcgs for 2 weeks and then started taking 5+5. You'll probably go from bad to worse if you cut your T4 dose by half, 75 mcgs sounds more reasonable (that too may be too large a drop but you won't know until you try ) And you really can't make accurate calculations of these things that work for sure since your TSH will drop (if it already hasn't on T4 alone) and that may have an effect on your own thyroid function (it becomes suppressed) and therefore the whole picture.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:39 AM   #8
optimistic2x2
(female)

optimistic2x2 HB User

My Endo put me on Cytomel after being on Levoxyl for 6 weeks he then added the Cytomel at 25mcg per day 1 pill in the morning. I then had sweating and shortness of breath so he cut it back to half that and now I cut it back to 1/4 that. I go back in November and hope he changes it. I hear great things about Cytomel and it works great for some but not for me. I am wondering though if I took 1/4 in am and 1/4 in afternoon would help me.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Oleander53
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I switched off of Armour 3 Grain to Thyrolar 2 120 mg in the AM and then added Cytomel 25mcg in the afternoon.....it has gone smoothly with no problems so far.....it is my about my 3rd week on the Cytomel now.....I feel much better......I had been on Armour 2 years and it just ceased working well for me for some strange reason.........

Oleander

Old 11-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
Apollyon
Inactive
(female)

Apollyon HB User

I take cytomel in the morning and then in the afternoon (10mcg), it says in the thryoid solution you should take it twice a day and the pills have to be kept out of the light.

Closed Thread