It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Bio-identical hormones....thoughts?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
one2wonder
(female)

one2wonder HB User
Bio-identical hormones....thoughts?

In regards to the doctor's office that I am going to tomorrow to have the consult with the nurse....the doc believes in bioidentical hormones from plants. Just wondering what everyone's thought are on this. The good, bad and ugly....alll sides.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Oleander53
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Bio-identical hormones....thoughts?

All I can do is give you my personal experience.........Are you looking for thyroid replacement or all female hormone replacement. I can give you my take on the bio Identical for Estrogen/Testosterone/ Progesterone.

I am 55 now and started searching out the bio's and natural hormones at 47. Why? because I did not feel well and was told I was probably pre menopausal. Well I am 55 and not in menopause yet......getting there but not not quite.

.... I read all of John Lee's books and about every book out there on women's hormones......because I did not feel well.....I could probably write a book on different progesterone creams and combo's of progesterone, testosterone and estrodial....saliva tests vs serum tests.......and so on..

I also have a best girlfriend who went on the same hormone journey with me. Supplements, bio Identicals and read every book out there. She is a bit younger than me at 49 but is in full blown menopause....we both feel the same way.........we both have the same opinion on what we went through. We spent alot of money on nothing and the Progesterone kept weight on us.....in fact when my friend came off the Progesterone her weight has finally gone back to normal. When you read about it it says just the opposite that you will lose weight when you take it.....we both gained.

Both of us had thyroid issues and Insulin resistance......that is why we did not feel good, we are both being treated and feel great right now........we are both now on a estrodial patch basically to keep our skin nice.....I am on a very tiny dose.....I have a rare hot flash.

Everyone is different and responds differently......I am not against them but I think they are used to treat symptoms that are not female hormonally related and are business $$$$$ for Doctors and Pharmacists. I wish I had my money back for every supplement, every book, every cream I tried......I spent a small fortune trying to find out what was wrong with me........it was thyroid and Insulin resistance not female hormone related....

Saliva vs serum tests? Insurance will pay for serum few pay for saliva.....Have had both done several times...saw no difference in the results....very close. Saliva was more expensive and insurance balked at paying.

Do not mean to be negative.......I have always been a backer of natural medication......Just how I feel when I look back........

I am sure someone can give you a good experience.........Just be careful. Keep your mind open.

Oleander

Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I would say it depends on the plant and what you are trying to do with the supplement. Asprin was derived from willow bark. Now we can make it easily with chemical synthesis. Herbs and plants are very important in medicine, however there are some people that can not take bioidentical hormones due to allergic response. My integrative care providers love me. I can not take their supplements. They hurt more than they heal. I do not know of a bioidentical PLANT thyroid supplement to replace T4 and T3 in your system. The natural form of T4 and T3 has to be extracted and refined from animals. You can always REFUSE to shop at his store. Make sure he gives you a paper script so you can walk and shop around.

I have nothing against using bioidentical hormone therapy when it is warranted and the patient is willing. I opt for what works and is economically feasible on my pocket. I am taking 22 pills a day.. even with most being generic.. it ADDS up.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 09-18-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
jw90
(female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User

Hi I have been on bioidentical hormones for at least 15 years and have done well on them and want to keep taking them..it makes me feel wonderful and i'm and active person a young 65 and want to remain active and feel healthy as long as possible ..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
sugzey$
(female)

sugzey$ HB User

Do they use wild yams or soy or both? Do they put pellets under your skin on your behind for the estrogen and testosterone? Do you put the progesterone under your tongue at night? Just went to a medical center for the first time today for a free consultation and that is how they give the 3 hormones to you. They do now use only wild yams because they said a lot of people are allergic to soy. Just called my regular doctor and he doesn't believe in it....so now, I don't know what to do. I was thinking about doing it for osteoporosis and poor sleep .

Old 08-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
jw90
(female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User

Hi I get my hormones from a compounded pharmacy and its they use soy I think..i use 2 estrogens ..they are estradiol and estriol /progesterone in a sublingual that i disolve under my tongue once a day..I also had to change doctors twice because some docs will not write prescriptions for compounds ..now have a doc that will...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jw90; 08-18-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: didn't finish writing

Closed Thread