It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Low ferritin level, hypothyroid symptoms, but normal thyroid on test

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Gwen67
(female)

Gwen67 HB User
Low ferritin level, hypothyroid symptoms, but normal thyroid on test

Hello, I've noticed some symptoms in myself that lead me to believe I may have hypothyroidism... I went and had some blood tests done, but my doctor said that everything is normal except for my ferritin level, which is low. I've read that low ferritin can mimic symptoms of hypothyroidism, but even though the doctor said things aren't off, I don't know if that's true..

The thing that made me go to the doctor in the first place was my abnormal menstrual cycle. After the blood tests she said she didn't know what was causing it to be off and basically said I should just deal with it. I've read that menstrual cycles can become abnormal with thyroid disorders. I've also gained weight this past summer which is unusual for me normally, but especially for right now because I'm in the best shape I've been in a long time. I also have fatigue and low energy and what seems like low grade depression. AND the eyebrow thing - the outer part of my eyebrows now seems to be almost non-existent.

Does this sound to anyone like it's more than just low ferritin and actually be hypothyroidism? Should I talk to the doctor again about it?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
tygwyn
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
Re: Low ferritin level, hypothyroid symptoms, but normal thyroid on test

I would definitely push for further testing.

Do you have a copy of the tests you've already gda done? If so please post them here with your results, and the ranges and we may be able to help

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 09-18-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
Suey77
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Low ferritin level, hypothyroid symptoms, but normal thyroid on test

Hi Gwen ~ Did you get a copy of those labs? I've found it interesting to do this so that I can look at & DIGEST what they think is normal. Also low ferritin & hypo-thy can go hand in hand. how did Dr suggest bringing UP your ferritin?

If I ever write a book about my Hypo-Thy RolLeRcoasteR it would be titled:
The Problem with Normal
w h y

While our labs can often fall WITHIN normal range, there is often room for improvement within those same ranges. I was told normal when my TSH was 4.79 which WAS NOT normal for ME & according to labs done 5 months prior. But because it feel with the range, that is what I was told. Therefore my 3+ months of hypo-h*** began.

So I 2nd tygwyn in pushing for more testing
Sue

Last edited by Suey77; 09-18-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Gwen67
(female)

Gwen67 HB User

Hi, I unfortunately do not have a copy of the lab results....didn't even realize I could get one. Would they give me a copy if I asked for it? The doctor just suggested iron supplements to bring up the ferritin level.

If I ask to be reassessed for a thyroid disorder (I mentioned it before the tests were done), what am I to do if the doctor continues to claim that everything is normal? What is involved with further testing?

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
tygwyn
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen67 View Post
Hi, I unfortunately do not have a copy of the lab results....didn't even realize I could get one. Would they give me a copy if I asked for it? The doctor just suggested iron supplements to bring up the ferritin level.

If I ask to be reassessed for a thyroid disorder (I mentioned it before the tests were done), what am I to do if the doctor continues to claim that everything is normal? What is involved with further testing?

Thanks!
Yes you're entitled to get a copy of the tests you've had done

If it does show that there is a possible problem, and your doctor refuses to treat you...you would then have to join the rest of us in a hunt for the right doctor

Good luck!

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 09-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
Deda
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey77 View Post
Also low ferritin & hypo-thy can go hand in hand. how did Dr suggest bringing UP your ferritin?
Sue

Does anyone know why they seem to go hand in hand? I just wonder why. I usually have a ferritin leval around 58. A year ago 129.

Well, I just had a physical and this time my ferritin came back at only 27. The range at our lab is 22-290... so that is quite low. Did my Dr. say anything about it?? No!

This is the funny thing though...she also checks my iron, and iron sats, and TIBC, [as my brother had hemochromatosis, which is iron-overload...TOO much iron]... and those levels were all very good, on the higher end...does that make sense?

Also, my B-12 came back good. It should be over >200 and mine came back >1000.

Funny thing is...I feel very good...and I'm always hearing low ferritin makes a person feel bad. I guess I'm just a freak...my anti thyroid antibodies are very high too, and have stayed high, [never have changed] since we found out that I was hypo/Hashi 5 years ago, and even though they are so high, I still feel very well. Go figure, huh? One endo told me, "don't worry, they'll go away someday", and another endo said, "they never go away, but it's no big deal". [she has them too] I think they are just a mystery to most MD's to tell you the truth... Even though I feel well, I still wish they would go down a little, or a lot. whenever I get tested for them and see the results, it just sorta freaks me out, as they are so darn high over the range....aw well. I try not to think about them most the time.

Gwen, have your Dr's checked all of your thyroid levels, (Free T-4, Free T-3, and antibodies as well?) Does thyroid disease run in your family, or other autoimmune diseases?

Best wishes for good health
Deda

Closed Thread