It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Holistic Dr ordered tests...can anybody give info on them?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
one2wonder
(female)

one2wonder HB User
Holistic Dr ordered tests...can anybody give info on them?

These are the tests he ordered. I am going to get them done in the morning and I have an appt to see him back in two weeks to discuss. He didn't want to switch the Synthroid until after labs, and he didn't feel it necessary to do tsh ft3 and ft4 again since I just had them done two weeks ago....I asked him if he thinks he can figure this out and if I would be doing better before the holidays. I started crying and he was really nice and told me that we would figure this out.

Can anybody tell me what these are and what they are for?
Also, what do you guys think? Does he sound good?

Estradiol
Estrone
Progesterone
Pregnenolone
Testosterone, Free and Total
DHEAS
AM Cortisol
FSH
LH
Candida Albacans Panel
CMV
EBV
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
Vitamin D
T3 Uptake
Reverse T3
Heavy Metal Panel

Last edited by one2wonder; 09-18-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
tygwyn
Senior Veteran
(female)

tygwyn HB User
Re: Holistic Dr ordered tests...can anybody give info on them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2wonder View Post
These are the tests he ordered. I am going to get them done in the morning and I have an appt to see him back in two weeks to discuss. He didn't want to switch the Synthroid until after labs, and he didn't feel it necessary to do tsh ft3 and ft4 again since I just had them done two weeks ago....I asked him if he thinks he can figure this out and if I would be doing better before the holidays. I started crying and he was really nice and told me that we would figure this out.

Estradiol
Estrone
Progesterone
Pregnenolone
DHEAS
AM Cortisol
Candida Albacans Panel
CMV
EBV
Vitamin D
T3 Uptake
Reverse T3
Heavy Metal Panel

Looks like you've got a good doctor there! Let us know how you go with the results.

same thing happened to me when I went to see my holistic doctor - she didnt bother to retest my thyroid hormones as I'd only had them done 2 weeks prior.

Free Testosterone, B12 & Ferritin would be good to add...but for now thats a good list

Total Thyroidectomy Oct 06 due to Massive Multi Nodular Goiter and Hashi
Adrenal Fatigue
180mg NTH
28mg HC
2 x Caltrate

Rach xxxx

Old 09-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
one2wonder
(female)

one2wonder HB User

I just looked at my lab sheet again...I missed that. He did order these others (I edited my previous post)

FSH
LH

Old 09-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Sounds good so far.

This series is an adrenal hormone profile:
Estradiol
Estrone
Progesterone
Pregnenolone
DHEAS
AM Cortisol

This is a female hormone profile.. it can tell you if you are menopausal or at risk for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)
FSH
LH

Candida Albacans Panel - Specific viruses that can interfere with thyroid function
CMV
EBV

Vitamin D
T3 Uptake This tells you how well you are binding and using your T4 hormone.
Reverse T3 This tells you if you are converting T4 to the inactive rT3 versus T3.

He appears to be doing a thorough job by all this blood work. You may have a keeper. Make sure you get a copy when it comes back in. It should take about 7 business days for some of these tests to be processed.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 09-18-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
one2wonder
(female)

one2wonder HB User

Thanks for the input. At first, he was going to have me come back in three weeks. I kind of sighed and said, "it's going to take that long to get the tests back...ok I guess I can make it that long." He then said that some of them may take a little longer to get back but should all be back in two weeks. I spoke to a lady (and her husband) in the waiting room and they spoke very highly of him. I have talked to a few other people that liked him. I hope he knows his stuff.

Last edited by one2wonder; 09-18-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
one2wonder
(female)

one2wonder HB User

Well, 11 of vials of blood later....hopefully something will turn up. Something else that this doc did/said that struck me as being a good sign was when I told him that I had to basically beg and fight to get my FT3 tested by other docs, he just shook his head. Then as he was saying some of the tests he was going to order I told him that some of them were ones I had asked other docs to run and they refused to do it. I asked him why it is so hard to get the testing done and why they would refuse it. He said that "some docs refuse to think outside the box."

Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I had 10 vials drawn yesterday and 4 drawn today. My arms are sore. It looks like you have an MD that is going to work with you and listen to you. This is a good thing. We need to keep tabs on how well he is caring for you. If he does a good job you can share his name and what city and state he is in so others can benefit from your experience. I agree with the thinking out of the box comment. I think some MDs set all they know in a shoe box. Climb in and refuse to look at anything new that comes along. I would hate to live my life in a shoe box. I like to roam the aisle of libraries and surf the journals electronically and look over ALL the new best sellers. I think the new TSH recommendation should be considered a best seller since 2006. Pity how few follow the best sellers.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 09-19-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Oleander53
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

The tests all make sense to me...... I am proud to see he ordered Heavy metals.......I was once tested positive to Manganese from well water..can make you depressed and tired.....so metals should be tested for.

Good list of tests..very thorough. What will be important is how he treats any problems if any..........Keep us informed. Oleander

Old 09-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #9
tee626
(female)

tee626 HB User

Candida overgrowth is ignored by the medical profession. I have been ill for over a year before a nurse practicioner discovered I had a raging Candida infection thru out my system. The symtoms are extreme and no Dr. I went to took me seriously.
She taught me about the 'Spit Test" to ck. for overgrowth of Candida.

Put a glass of water beside your bed before retiring.
Upon arising immediately spit into the water.
If the saliva floats with strings hanging off ...you can be sure you have Candida infection.
If the saliva sinks to the bottom of the glass you are home free!

It takes committment and vigilance to recover from this insidious disease and could take up to one or two years to overcome it.
There is tons of info on the internet regarding this. It can be controlled with diet and supplements. Do NOT take medicines prescribed by a medical Dr.FOR THIS. Antibiotics and anesthesia is what caused it. The drug companies send the Docs to Hawaii or buy them new cars to sell more drugs! That's why we all get several prescriptions each time we visit our physician. IT SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED!

Tee626

Old 09-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
one2wonder
(female)

one2wonder HB User

That gives me a warm fuzzy considering I am going to the doc today for what I think is a bacterial respiratory type infection and I may be getting antibiotics . What type of diet/ meds are used to treat the candida overgrowth? Do you know how long it can stay in your body?

Old 10-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #11
tee626
(female)

tee626 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2wonder View Post
That gives me a warm fuzzy considering I am going to the doc today for what I think is a bacterial respiratory type infection and I may be getting antibiotics . What type of diet/ meds are used to treat the candida overgrowth? Do you know how long it can stay in your body?
One2Wonder:

It isn't easy to explain what one must do IF you have an overgrowth of Candida. It takes study, committment and constant vigilance! The books that helped me the most I found on Amazon.com

The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates
Alkalize or Die by Theodore Baroody ( My bible for years!)
Eat Right 4 your Blood Type by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo

If you learn to think differently about food and using it INSTEAD of medicine you will become a very healthy, happy girl.

The diet in America is killing us and our children. Obesity and diabetis are rampant in our country. Also, in our children. It is so sad.

Go on Google and pull up Candida. You will find tons of information on the subject. Curing yourself from this horrible condition takes time and knowledge. There is no quick-fix. Dr.'s will look at you and think you are nuts...then treat you for 20 different things with meds you do not need and that will make you sicker. OR send you to a shrink! They simply don't know. And seem to all be illiterate about diet. Plus, they do get their (covered up) kick backs from the Drug Companies!! They are motivated to give you drugs and more drugs! Even vets take these freebies from Drug Companies!
As you can see, I have a lot of rage at Drs. who do not have your best interest at heart. (I'm working on that, LOL)

My best to you,

Tee626

Closed Thread