It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Armour Better Then Worse??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
reba30
(female)

reba30 HB User
Armour Better Then Worse??

i started armour about 2 months ago...i felt better about 2 weeks after starting on 30mg. i felt incredible for about a month or so. slowly feeling crummy again. just increased dose to 60mg daily. wondering why i felt better and now worse..??? hoping to feel good again! any thoughts?
thanks! reba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
scoot
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: Armour Better Then Worse??

i'm not sure why it works that way (midwest would know!) but that seems to be pretty common. feeling good on a dose, then not feeling good on the same dose after a while.

it sounds like the increase in meds is needed, and you should feel better again soon. i think its kinda like a staircase, days or weeks of plateaus where you feel good, then you hit a riser and cant feel better again until you bump up a step by increasing meds.

see how you feel in a week or two.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Oops... I just answered this on the other thread, before I saw this one, Reba. Here's what I wrote there:

Reba... It's extremely common to feel better then worse again. For me, the process went like this:
1. Start/increase dose.
2. Feel no difference for 2 weeks.
3. Feel better for 3 weeks.
4. Feel worse again for 3 more weeks until next bloodwork/dose check.
5. Repeat until the optimal dose is found, 9 months later.

Everyone is different, so it may not take as long for you, nor will it definitely be as tough. Take heart! It will get better, but it probably won't be overnight.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
reba30
(female)

reba30 HB User

how much armour did you end up on?

Old 09-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
cossette2
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

The "Stop the Thyroid Madness" book explains how it is important to not wait too long before boosting the Armour dose. They recommend that a week or two after you start, you should boost it by1/2 grain (or about 1/4 grain if adrenal weakness is an issue). The book explains how that is why so many people try Armour and then quit and go back to synthroid. Also, be sure to not take the Armour on the morning of your blood work as it will really inflate the free t3 values and give you a false reading...take it right after your monring blood tests. That book gives detailed instructions on Armour and the many reasons people might not do well on it. It's worth the read.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The trouble with those kinds of books is that you can't DIY. Your doctor is the controlling factor, and if he/she won't increase a dose on the book's schedule, there isn't much you can do about it. Besides that, I would have been a heap of trouble if I'd increased the dose on that timetable. I had to go much more slowly. There is no "one size fits all" approach to treatment, no matter what any one book tells you.

Reba, I started at 30 mgs and ended up at 120 at the 9-month mark. I thought at that time that I may have been overmedicated a little, so I decreased to back to 90 mgs for a month or two, then decided that I felt better at 120. Have been there ever since and doing very well.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
Oleander53
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Reba, I was moved up to Armour 3 Grains or 180 mg. When I was first started taking it I was placed on a tiny dose and upped every few weeks.....I was taken off of it at one time and when I restarted they said just take the 3 Grain. I was like are you sure? Different Doctor different treatment.. I do know that some rare cases people take up to 5 Grain..I verified that with a retail Pharmacist. My Armour just did not seem to be working for me after 2 years......I loved it for 2 years then I just did not feel good and my labs dropped.....that is why I inquired on how high of a dose you could go on... I would have been will to bump up higher but my Endo asked me to try something new.....

Also I was fortunate when I was being "upped" on Armour I never had a side effect or any problem......but that is not the case with everyone.

Good luck and try to be patient.........Oleander

Closed Thread