It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

How long after surgery will I be "normal"? Life is destructing

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
misswells
(female)

misswells HB User
Unhappy How long after surgery will I be "normal"? Life is destructing

Hi all: Well, this nightmare is either about to end or start a new chapter. I have surgery scheduled for October 2nd, (can't do RAI, eyes). Sooooo... I am not working because I am too tired and emotionally unbalanced to go to the office. My husband is bipolar and now "hates" me and I am two weeks out from surgery, I just want to die. The stress of this evil person I have become was too much for him and he's lost it, barricading himself in spare bedroom, won't talk to me, etc... I feel awful for him and it hurts to know that all this bogus hyperthyroid crap for the last year is the cause. So, I scheduled the surgery. I am now worried about how long it will take to become myself again, does anyone know or have any coping strategies? My doc is opposed to Armour and only wants to do synthroid, but I think the t3 is what helps with the moods, yes? Can someone tell me about what I can expect with the surgery? Is it ultimatley a good thing. I am scared and worried out of my mind and my life is totally falling apart.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Reece
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: How long after surgery will I be "normal"? Life is destructing

It takes a few weeks for the T4 built up in your body to leave, so you might want to wait a week or so after surgery to start the medication.

I'm on synthroid and I'm just fine, every dr. prescribes it, you don't have to find one that "believes" in it, so if you try it first, and it's good then you don't have to worry so much.

There are many people on this board that are helped by armour, but just know, that there are many people out in the world on synthroid, and don't have any issues with it. Maybe that will be your luck as well.

I had my surgery for cancer, so it was a very good thing, and it wasn't a hard surgery, and I healed pretty easily---I hope it will be the same for you!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
famnd
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I was hyperthyroid twice for about 2-6 months from thyroiditis. I know it leaves you drained & the people around you. My husband was unable to help much.

What helped me was first to write down all my feelings etc daily in a cheap spiral notebook. From there, I developed a plan. I connected with old friends around the country via the internet. Since I couldn't talk much because of the thyroid swelling, I found the internet a source of comfort. Sometimes people outside the immediate situation can relate better to one's situation/illness. I tried to find funny TV programs to watch to take my mind off the pain & worry. I kept telling myself there is a beginning & an end to everything & this too will pass. Another thing that helped was to have a daily routine to follow.

Reach out to a friend, neighbor etc. You maybe surprised who will help you. We're all there for you. Fam

Old 09-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
RMB
(female)

RMB HB User

I was hyper prior to having half of my thyroid removed. Keep in mind that everyone has different results when it comes to surgery, but for me the hyperT symptoms were gone immediately after surgery. It was the oddest feeling in the world to just be sitting in a chair and not feeling anxious, shaky and not having a racy heart. The most amazing thing to me was that my hands or my feet were not sweaty/damp. They were completely dry, that was something prior to surgery I had not noticed.

Hang in there...things will get better. By any chance were you given any medication to help you through until surgery? I was given a beta blocker and it helped greatly. It just helped to take the edge off.....

Keep us posted on how you are doing..
RMB

Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Jo636
(female)

Jo636 HB User

Hi
I had a subtotal thyroidectomy at the end of May and its the best thing I could have had. i had Graves on and off for over 7 years and at times when levels were particularly high felt like I was going to go mad (although no-one around you can see it or undersatnd what you're going through!!) I felt fantastic as soon as I came round from the aneasthetic (a bit dodgy in recovery as I had a reaction to one of the drugs) but I was home within 2 days of surgery. I did have a wobbly few weeks, my gp described it as almost going cold turkey from the 400mg of ptu and 100mg of atenalol beta blockers so felt really tired and quite nauseaus for a while but after a few weeks felt better than I had in years and wished I'd had the surgery beforehand! I wasn't put on any thyroid supplement until about a month ago when I was put on levothyroxine (100mcg) and a calcium supplement. I was a bit upset about having to go onto prescription drugs again as it was the first time in about 15 years I had been drug free but still haven't looked back regarding the surgery. The only side effect I've had (my scar is healing wonderfully) is that my vocal chords have been affected slightly and I have a little trouble even singing some Nursery Rhymes (can be a bit of a pain as I'm a Nursery Nurse) but my surgeon did say it can take up to 6 mths for the vocal chords to recover completely (my speaking voice now sounds as its did before, just get a bit frustrated trying to sing a long in the car etc but a small price to pay for the nightmare of living with Graves!!)
Good luck with your surgery
Jo
x

Old 09-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
misswells
(female)

misswells HB User

HHAHA, Joe. Thye nursery nurse. Oh well, I;ll bet it just adds some character to your singing.

Question for you, My doc wants to do a total thyroidectomy because he says it will just growback if i have a partial. how did your doctor decide to do a partial and are you in the us? Can you help me with any other infor that you have, i think a total is way to final as well but can;t find a doc to do a partial with graves. help

Closed Thread