It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Other hormones....

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
one2wonder
(female)

one2wonder HB User
Other hormones....

Ok, if your other hormones are off, like I dunno say progesterone (just throwing that out there as an example), could it be the thyroid throwing it off or would you treat that separately with hormones? How do you figure out how to treat other hormonal imbalances? Just curious...wondering what my tests are gonna say.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 01:11 AM   #2
Meep
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Other hormones....

OTher hormones are surely affected by thyroid hormone being our of whack. This is especially true for women, since hormones such as progesterone and estrogena re largely produced by the ovaries. There are thyroid hormone receptors on the ovaries, and when they don't see the proper balance of thyroid, then the ovaries vary the amount of sex hormones they produce, accordingly. An example of why this might be an important adaptation might be that in times of famine, thyroid levels drop lower to conserve energy, and the ovaries react in such a was as to keep a woman from getting pregnant.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 09-20-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
kindspirit
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

This subject I've been researching endlessly. My situation: hysterectomy over 25yrs ago, but---my estrogen levels are over the high limit! no ovaries, so where is it coming from??? my dr's are stumped! just went thru a cat scan, dr feared my adrenals had issues... scan revealed no "parts" and some issues with my kidneys', which I knew about. The adrenals produce estrogen. So, having "hashi's" seems to be the culprit? I'm wondering if my shrinking kidney and cyst in kidney is part of this disease? But, hormones are definately all out of wack! I'm doing my own experiment right now: no more "herbs" as some raise estrogen, using progesterone cream to balance out the estrogen and re testing in a month? Since medical science is not perfect, I'm leaning towards thyroid issues throwing my levels off.
Hysterectomy

Old 09-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
Meep
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

As hypo patients, it is common that we carry a bit of extra body fat. Fat cells convert androstenedione into estrogen, and, of course, this only exacerbates the problem, as Estrogen also tells the body to store fat.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 09-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
kindspirit
Senior Veteran
(female)

Meep, I agree, the thyroid and estrogen are working together. Makes sense why so much "bloating" since starting meds. Seems having not had a functioning thyroid for so long the signals are all messed up. I'm fairly thin, 5'8, 145 lbs but the 5lbs gained is all on my waist. This bloating is really ticking me off! So maybe the thyroid is grabbing any and all estrogen it can get to regulate? for me, its just strange to be off the "e2 scale" with no ovaries...? Hopefully once the thyroid levels get to a nice even keel the rest of the hormones settle down.
Hysterectomy

Old 09-21-2008, 03:45 AM   #6
Audrey-B
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I'm no expert, but i was discussing a couple of things with my doctor the other week when i got my new test results back. He agreed that the adrenals produce estrogen and i've also red that fat cells also produce estrogen.

All my hormones were all over the place when i was first tested. My estrogen was double what it ought to be. My testosterone was a bit high too. Apparently if you don't have sufficient cortisol for your adrenals, your adrenals will borrow from testosterone which in term messes up that hormones.

I'm not a big person, i'm 5'4" tall and at my heaviest i was 55kg. I did notice that the few kg's i'd put on did seem to congregate around my middle area, but this is typical for hypothyroid.

Now that i've been on my adrenal meds, thyroid meds, plus taking Isolate Whey Protein to speed up my metabolism, i have noticed a few changes. I have noticed i need a belt all the time with my jeans. I need to put my bra onto the last hook. At first i thought my bra's had stretched in the wash and maybe my jeans had stretched, but one of my work skirts now fits perfectly around my waist, whereas before it was a little on the too tight side. I believe i've definitely lost some weight around the middle area.

Firstly i'm not eating as much as i tend to feel fuller for longer since starting the digestive enzymes which i'm on. My pancreas doesn't produce enough enzymes to digest protein. I was always starving and couldn't get enough food into me. Now since the enzymes i feel fuller for longer. My stomach isn't bloated after meals either.

Secondly, maybe the adrenal, thyroid meds are working as well as the Isolate Whey Protein is helping with the metabolism and 'fatty' areas around the middle.

I'm noticing as time goes on that i'm not craving food and in particular craving potato chips prior to my montly period. My monthly periods are becoming more and more regular, with less heavy bleeding and my cycles are becoming shorter. I am still taking my herbal mix from the naturopath which was helping me with my periods, but i'm not taking it as i should be and i'm missing out on taking it twice per day. Some days i only take it once and other days i don't take it at all. If i had done this before my periods would be a mess, but now it's like they are reverting back to normal.

My doctor has given me a kit to take home so i can do a urine test in the morning between day 18 - 25 (i pick which day) and this urine test will check my estrogen. I'm supposed to collect the first urine of the day for this test.

The only other things i've done myself is try to exclude as much gluten from my diet as possible. If i have eaten gluten containing breads i've made sure they do not contain any form of Soy. Both my iron and vitamin D are getting quite high but i'm still on supplements as he wants them both to get to the higher end of the maximum range.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
kindspirit
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey, thanks for the info!!! very interesting, so, your estrogen is high too? are you menopausal? I think my adrenals are totally maxed out from stress and some help with them might do the trick? just gotta get a dr to test them correctly, not a pm test like last time. So glad to hear your "bloating" went away, that would make my day! One thing that is "cured" is my insomnia!!! for over 25 yrs I've suffered and relied on meds to sleep. Well, now with thyroid meds, I'm sleeping 9 hrs with no sleep meds!! it took awhile. Thanks again for all the info, hope your estrogen comes down.
Hysterectomy

Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #8
Mafalde
(female)

Mafalde HB User

Kindspirit - I am so glad your cat scan came out okay about your adrenals - I know just one more "issue" can certainly ad to our anxiety.

Do you stay on the progesterone cream all month or do you go off for a couple of days and then restart? I started taking some low dose estrogen thinking I wasn't getting enough estrogen, but that seemed to make things work - so just went back to progesterone.

I am so ignorant about all of this and would be drowning without this board. Thanks to all of you.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
kindspirit
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Maf, yep, one more dodge of a bullet!! Yes, staying on progest cream all month, no let up. They say to cycle it, off for 5 days, but since my "parts" are gone they say continuous is ok. I'm just going full speed for a month and see if my levels go down, dr agreed to re ck in a month. Most dr's just think "estrogen" is what we need and forget about progesterone. If the cream doesn't help it, then I'll probably stop? Trying to keep as much "stuff" out of my body, will continue with vit b complex, vit e, selenium and the little thyroid pill, oh and magnesium b4 bed. That's about all I can do...even cut back on my love of beer,
Hysterectomy

Old 09-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
Mafalde
(female)

Mafalde HB User

That's right - you had a hysterectomy didn't you? Do you get anxiety and the feeking shaky inside? It is driving me crazy. The progesterone cream has helped but has not taken it away completely. I just started the magnesium also along with Fish Oil.

Have you moved yet?

Old 09-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
kindspirit
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Maf, the "shakey, anxiety", had that for a long time til I studied and found "benzo's" were the culprit. I think you sd once you take xanax? that was a med I took too. Since the dose was low, .5 once a day I thought, hmm, can't be "hooked". Well, every time I cut or just by mid afternoon all those strange symptoms started. Studied up on benzo's and learned even with a low dose after a couple wks one is hooked. The symptoms are anxiety, and a ton of others. I tried to wean off in a few wks and all hell broke loose~! it takes a long time to get off those meds! But after a yr of w/d symptoms the anxiety went away!!! I thought I was going insane! followed up with a support group on a benzo board and got thru it. Those benzo drugs are the worst! xanax, klonapin, valium, ativan to name a few. Anyone on those drugs can NOT stop cold turkey!!! seizures etc, slow and cuts of 3 or more wks is the only way. You might want to check out a benzo support board just to see if that might help? (no move yet, house still hasn't sold, urgh)
Hysterectomy

Last edited by kindspirit; 09-21-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: add

Old 09-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
Mafalde
(female)

Mafalde HB User

I don't think the Xanax is the problem. When my problems started in March, I had been sick with the flu (101 temp) for four days and then went into a nasty head cold. Like an idiot I was taking Sudafed and other cold meds which I know I should not take with thyroid problems. That is when I started having the panic and anxiety attacks and went to the doctor. My thyroid levels were low and he lowered my meds thinking I was overmedicated. Then --- I cut my meds in half and my TSH jumped to 29. Doctor was not too happy. I am back on my meds now. I didn't start taking Xanax until April and then only when I was having a panic attack. I don't take them every day.

I do feel better than I did in March but still not "normal". I go back for more blood tests in October. Hopefully my levels will be starting to settle.

Take care and hope you feel better soon.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #13
Audrey-B
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Mafalde - I'm a bit 'uneducated' in a lot of the do's and dont's regarding thyroid issues, but i wasn't aware that cold meds were an issue? Is it only certain ingredients in cold/flu meds we should stay away from?

Kindspirit - No i'm not menopausal or even close to being so yet. I'll be 42 soon, but my tests don't even come up as me being close to it. If i end up like my mum i think i'll be going through menopause in my late 50's!! Not sure whether that's a good thing or not.

I would most definitely have proper adrenal testing done. My doc always wants mine retested each time he retests my thyroid. He does it via blood test and wants it done as close to 8am, no food 12hrs prior, no meds or supplements of any sort. I can only have water prior.

The very first adrenal test he did was a saliva test and he tested my estrogen, progesterone and testosterone and DHEA-s at same time. I did one of those all day saliva tests where you give a salive sample at 6am, 12noon, 6pm and 10pm. My cortisol levels were very low. Within days of taking the cortisol supplement the extreme tiredness, brain fog, headaches, swollen and painful eyes etc etc all disappeared.

Closed Thread