It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Help! Heart pounding and holding water

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Lesa45
(female)

Lesa45 HB User
Help! Heart pounding and holding water

Hello, I have Hypo Hashis. My labs are good but my heart is pounding and I'm short of breath. I also put on about 1/2 pound a day. It feels like water weight because my eyes and fingers are swollen. I have tweaked my Synthroid from50 to 25 recently (DR supervised of course.) I woke up feeling very stiff and headachy this morning. I would hate to raise my meds back up to 50 because of the heart rate issue. It makes me light headed. I thought I could hang in there till Oct 27 (TT date) but I don't think I can stand this. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Lesa45
(female)

Lesa45 HB User
Re: Help! Heart pounding and holding water

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

Old 09-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
SHARON1952
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

i dont know if this will help but i am hypothyroid when i first went to the doctor my heartrate was over 100 just sitting on the chair and i would get breathless going in to another room the doc put me on atenolol to slow the heartrate and then the test results came back saying i was hypo he started me on 25 mcg thyroxine and i am now on 100mcg do still take the atenolol and am scared of the fast heartrate mabie you could ask your doctor for something

Old 09-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
Lesa45
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

Thank you Sharon. Are your levels correct yet? If so has it helped your heart rate or is it hard to tell since your still on heart rate medication? Hope you feel better soon!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
SHARON1952
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

my levels seem to be a bit better but i wont stop the beta blockers as i feel much better with them i still get the od time when my heart goes a little faster but not like it was did you ask your docter about it i was retaing water all over but a bit of that has gone noe i still feel my stomache and breasts very swoolen i am hoping it goes away too i have only been up to the 100 mcg 2 weeks so i will wait and see my fingers were so swoolen at the start i could not even wear my wedding ring and it has been on my finger 38 years

Last edited by SHARON1952; 09-22-2008 at 08:34 AM.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
comanchesue
(female)

comanchesue HB User

When is the last time you had your heart checked out? Shortness of breath and fluid retention might be congestive heart failure.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
scoot
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

before i was diagnosed and early after the diagnosis of hashis', i remember being out of breath just going up 8 stairs. i'd have tachycardia and pounding heartbeats. i'm sorry you're going through this. it was an awful phase in my treatment and i wouldn't wish it on anyone. i was all puffy too with water gain, especially in the face.

once i got on levothyroxine things slowly got better but it was slow. maybe you should just try an increase of 12.5mcg instead of 25. it sounds like you really need more than what you are currently taking. maybe your doc would ok a teensy teensy dose of t3 med too to get in there and start helping you out quickly on that level.

i was on beta blockers too early on for a while until i got out of the woods. i saw a cardiologist - which was a good idea at the time cuz we were also wondering if i had mitral valve problems. everything was fine. maybe you should be cautious and see a cardio too. i had a sonogram of my heart done and it really gave me peace of mind.

Closed Thread