It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

thyroid problem?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
cdg829
(female)

cdg829 HB User
thyroid problem?

tsh is low <0.10 , free t4 is high 24, t4 is normal 7.4 t3 is normal 134.
what do I need to do next?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Meep
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: thyroid problem?

My initial guess woudl be a diagnosis of hyperthyroidism, and subsequent testing to find out why woudl be the next step, while taking measures to get your T4 down. Still before making that diagnosis, there is more to a lab result thatn just the reading from the lab. There is also a range of what is considered normal. Providing those ranges is helpful to get a clearer picture of what is going on.

If you can provide that additional info, it will be helpful.

Next step? Antibody tests to see why your Free T4 is elevated. I would have testing for TG (ThyroGlobulin) Antibodies and TSI (Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobin) Antibodies at the least, as both are known to cause T3 and or T4 levels to rise, but do so in different ways.

To get to the bottom of what is going on, some background information is in order. Thyroid hormones in our blood are mostly (98+%) bound to proteins and are not readily available, the most common protein you would find thyroid hormone attached to is ThyroGlobulin. The remaining thyroid hormone is "free" of these proteins and is readily available for your tissues to use.

TSI, stimulates the thyroid gland to produce too much hormone, causing hyperthyroid symptoms.

ThyroGlobulin Antibodies attack a protein used to store thyroid hormone liberating more than what your body needs at any one time, causing hyperthyroid symptoms.

Without testing, my guess is that you have Thyroglobulin Antibodies, based on what your T4 is doing. Total T4 is normal and Free T4 is high, so Thyroglobulin Antibodies have likely liberated an excess amount of T4 from the protein that usually binds to the hormone in your blood. Thus, the total amount of T4 in your blood is where we would expect to find it in a healthy patient, and your thyroid gland is not likely over-producing hormone like it would with TSI Antibodies.

It would still be wise to get the proper tests done by your doctor, as I suggested, above, but hopefully, now you have a better picture of what is going on.

What can you do to help yourself? Look into the benefits of taking Selenium for a few months, at least. It is a mineral that is available at most health food stored, very inexpensively. Supplementing with Selenium, in clinical trials, has shown to reduce thyroid antibody counts, and reduce the resulting symptoms. Besides, it is VITAL for manufacturing as well as utilizing thyroid hormone, and countless other enzyme-based processes.

It is often recommended that you start with no more than 200mcg a day and cut back to about 100mcg a day after a month, if you choose to give it a try.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 09-21-2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: learning to type, all over, again. LOL

Closed Thread