It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

IBS connection with Hashi's or Hypothyroidism

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Oleander53
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
IBS connection with Hashi's or Hypothyroidism

I am curious how many people have thyroid issues and IBS. I have seen a few mentions of it lately.....Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
kindspirit
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Re: IBS connection with Hashi's or Hypothyroidism

Hi Oleander, not sure if its the thyroid, but, I'm having those issues. Always did have the "bowel" attacks out of no where. My left side from ribs to low abdomen is sore and bloated. Had a recent colonoscopy and ct, all ok, so must be ibs? Makes sense though, since a sluggish thyroid slows things down, thus digestion would suffer. I'm back on the L-carnitine regime, hoping to help the enzymes? Horrid fatigue still so guess levels aren't optimin yet? Hope yours gets better with treatment.
Hysterectomy

Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
scoot
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

i have IBS-D and hashi's.

Last edited by scoot; 09-22-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
jrose1358
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

I do. I think it was my reply in a post not long ago. I have primarily IBS-C. Gets worse when thyroid meds are out of balance. I am able to control it quite well through diet adjstments and exercise but it still gets to me every once in a while with no warning. Chamomile tea and good whole grain cereals help me - oatmeal is a miracle food for me. Blessings - jrose

Old 09-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Oleander53
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I read somewhere that IBS is an autoimmune disorder like Hashi's........

I have had problems on occasion but I even stopped my meds to see if that was it........meds or not it did not seem to make a difference......

Seems to happen under stress.....

Other than living on Immodium any other suggestions? Oleander

Old 09-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
scoot
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

oleander

i have found that an herbal tincture called "sweetish bitters" by gaia has helped. it gets the gastric juices going and helps with digestion. imodium worked for me but i didn't want to take it forever. i used to take it before getting hashi's and i think there was something on the label about not taking it if you have thyroid disease.(?)

other than that, calcium helps. sometimes nothing helps and i just have to deal with it.

i too have read that IBS is autoimmune.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
Myth
(female)

Myth HB User

kindspirit........I have read that L carnitine is used by hyperthyroid sufferers to suppress thyroid hormones ....not one for hypothyroidism
do a search for L carnitine & hyperthyroidism

all the best
Myth

Old 09-23-2008, 03:41 AM   #8
Eagle
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Thanks to Scoot for the info that Immodium is not for hypo's. I'd been planning to try some.

Currently I'm trying "The Activia Challenge" and it's already helping, some! I haven't finished the 2 wks yet. If anyone's going to try it, don't miss a day. I've read that Russians in the mountains who live on past 100 eat yogurt a lot. So if it doesn't solve one problem completely, maybe another one. Might Co-Q-10 also help?

Last edited by Eagle; 09-23-2008 at 03:46 AM.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
mkgbrook
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I have Hashimoto's and adrenal insufficiency. I also have fluxing IBS. The IBS is at its worst when the adrenals are running hypo and my thyroid T4 level is low and T3 level is high. At periods like this I also have mineral malabsorption issues as well.

MG

Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #10
kindspirit
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Yes, Myth, I read that too. Then read it was ok for hypo's if taken many hrs after t meds? so yep, a bit confused on that Today I'm taking only a multi vit with a meal and forgoing the selenium, b complex and l-carnitine to see if the abdominal pain eases up? Something is irritating my innerds? Have to try some of that Activia again.
Hysterectomy

Old 09-24-2008, 05:17 AM   #11
Eagle
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

FWIW, the Activia really seems to be helping, at least one of us ! Started with a 2-wk supply and now think I'll keep up the habit. It's a nice little desert or snack. And some Russians in the mountains who eat yogurt a lot do live long lives., I've read.

Closed Thread