It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

New on Synthroid, questions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Gram4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User
Question New on Synthroid, questions

I started on synthroid 8/13, my TSH was 4.98 believe (have to get a copy of BW) He told me to take 25mc but I was so tired after awhile at around 7PM wanted to sleep. I called & they sd take half of 25 but now I feel totally tired during the day, also my hair used to be so nice & thick now it's not & grows real slow & find alot of hair in brush. I'm sup to go for new blood work middle of Oct but I think I'll ask before that I don't like the way I feel. I also take vit D would that affect it? Thanks, this is so confusing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
DR37
Veteran
(female)

DR37 HB User
Re: New on Synthroid, questions

I'm fairly new to the Synthroid myself, but I've heard others talk about it wearing off in the evenings. Someone talked about taking half a pill morning and night but I haven't tried that...yet. I DO know you're supposed to take it on an empty stomach with water. You shouldn't take any other medications/supplements for a while after (I've heard from 1 hour to 3 hours) so, to be safe, I just take all my other meds at night. I've also seen in another post that you maybe shouldn't take an iron supplement at all, but I'll have to get back to you on that one. I though that iron was one thing you needed to battle the hair loss, but don't quote me on that.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
Gram4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User
Re: New on Synthroid, questions

I'm not on any other meds but do take herbs at dinner time, I take the synthroid early in AM. We'll see today I'm gonna take the 1/2 of 25mc & see if I get so tired all day again. I asked them if I could get my blood work earlier then mid oct sd ok so I go Monday, want to see what it says, this time I have to remember to get copies. My hair is so dry & scalp so itchy it's so annoying. Thanks for answering.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Suey77
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: New on Synthroid, questions

Hi Gram4 ~

Glad you're getting labs done sooner Honestly, I think you need more hormone. (I've heard oldtimers refer to .025 mcg's as a NON-dose, that the body finds more aggravating than helpful - midwest explains it better than I ever could) 6 weeks of Thy med is PLENTY of time to see how the med is working or not.

found it: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=629446

"What dose are you taking? Anything less than 50 mcgs is a "non-dose". If it's less than 50 mcgs, there is a possibility that you are now getting even less thyroid hormone than your gland was making before medication. That's because 25 mcgs can have the effect of turning off production of TSH from the pituitary gland, so there is less TSH to stimulate the thyroid into making its own hormone. You would get less natural hormone, plus the exogenous hormone wouldn't be enough to make up the shortfall."
~midwest

Keep us posted
Sue

Last edited by Suey77; 09-23-2008 at 05:58 AM.

Closed Thread