It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Possible hypothyroidism?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
KellyABC
(female)

KellyABC HB User
Possible hypothyroidism?

I'm hoping someone with experience with TSH, free T3 and T4 levels sees this and can help

I have all the signs of hypothyroidism such as fatigue, constipation, cold hands, cold intolerence, weight gain, heavy and difficult periods, irritable, muscle soreness, infertile, etc. I have been to several GPs about this and they all say according to the blood tests, I am "normal" but I know in my heart something is wrong.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I started requesting my labs be given to me so I could do my own research. My last TSH 6 months ago was 2.4 (0.35-5.5 normal range). Now, according to the reading I have been doing, anything over 2 can be considered subclinical hypothyroid even though the range is considered 3-5.

Is there anyone here who had a TSH over 2 and was put on medication? My free T4 level is 16.3 (11.5-23.2 normal range) and total T3 is 2.68 (0.92-2.79 normal range), TSH 2.4 (0.35-5.5 normal range).

I am going back to my family doctor and am going to present some of the articles I have found on TSH values over 2 being hypothyroid and request to see an endocrinologist.

Any other suggestions or experiences with this?

This has honestly been a nightmare for me feeling so crappy for the past while and being told I am "fine" when I know something is wrong.

Last edited by KellyABC; 09-23-2008 at 08:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Meep
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: Possible hypothyroidism?

I was diagnosed with a TSH of 2.6. My Free T3 and Free T4 were both lower in their respective ranges than yours, though.

If I were a doctor, with your Total T3 and Free T4 where they are, I would not advise thyroid meds at this time, though I wouldn't rule them out in the near future.

I would advise some lifestyle and diet considerations (eliminating soy, minimizing other foods that lower thyroid), supplementation with Selenium, and possibly, mild exercise, as tolerated. I would advise keeping a health/symptom/diet diary to track symptoms and such at least a few times a week, and I would re-test in 6-8 weeks.

Also important is what time of day you had your lab work done. TSH is likely to be higher in the morning than later in the day. it varies quite a bit in the course of a day, peaking a few hours after you fall asleep at night, and is lowest right before you go to bed. If you are tested at a different time you might have a much higher reading.

That said, there is a reason that my signature line says what it does. I am just a very well-informed patient, not a medical professional.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by Meep; 09-23-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
KellyABC
(female)

KellyABC HB User

Hi Meep,

I really appreciate your honest answer. This has been a very frustrating process for me as for the past year I feel almost debilitated with fatigue at times. It has been 6 months since my last blood test, so I am going to request another and see where my levels stand now (thanks for the tip of testing in the a.m.). I am also going to request a thyroid antibody test, as my doctor did not test me for this apparently. In your opinion, would this be valuable?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
KellyABC
(female)

KellyABC HB User

Just wanted to give a bit of an update. I called my old doctor and got my TSH level from last year. It was 1.5 and so has pretty much doubled in that time frame. I'm curious to get new blood work now and see if it's over 3! Is is normal for levels to double like this?

Old 09-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Meep
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

TSH can vary by more than that over the course of a 24 hour period, and isn't really all that reliable a test. Why don't doctors know this? TSH is good for one thing in the lab, and that is as a screening for the POSSIBILITY of thyroid problems. In cases of elevated TSH above the "normal" range you're very likely (but not always) hypothyroid. If TSH is suppressed and lower than "normal" you are very likely (but not always) hypERthyroid.

The problem with this is that there are large numbers of people who have a thyroid issue that is not reflected by the TSH test.

As for the antibody testing, yes, it can't hurt. If antibodies are detected, then treatment is warranted.

Meanwhile keep digging for your cause for fatigue. Books like "From Fatigued to Fantastic" and "Adrenal Fatigue: 21st Century Stress Syndrome" are wonderful in helping with these things.

Always feel free to ask questions, here. :-)

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread