It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 01:34 AM   #1
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Smile New Lab results after treatment, for interpretation and sharing.

Hi, Came back from a thorough blood work, just got the whole set of results

I have been on L T4 treatment for 6 weeks, 3 weeks of 25 mcg, and now I take 50 mcg T4 per day. Following is the results, all are done in blood work.

Part#1.
FT3 4.42 pmol/L (2.5-6.5)
FT4 17.48 pmol/L (11.5-23.2)
TSH 6.02 mIU/l (0.35-5.5)---needs to be ajusted further for dose
iPTH 71.80 pg/ml (14-72)---relatively high, thank goodness that MG has recommended this test
rT3 0.12 ng/ML (0.2-0.64)---low, which I think it is associated with the high PTH level, Low RT3 with high iPTH, Does it mean I have hyperparathyroidism?

Part#2.

The following Complete Blood Count is what I had tested one month ago
MCV 93.1 (82.0-92.0)
MCH 31.4 (27.0-31.0)
MPV 8.2 (8.5-11.8)
RBC 4.05 (3.50-5.50),
PCV 37.70(35.00-50.00)
Hgb 127( 110-150)
Triglyceride 2.17(0.4-1.8)

----------------------New Results of blood
Ferritin 34.2 (6-159),---relatively low
VB12 245 (156-672)---not sure about it
folic acid (folate) >24 (3.2-6.4)--- too high, but why?
CO2 21.20 (22-31)--- sightly low, means medabolic acidosis?

Part #3.

8AM, blood Cortisol 607.82 ( 118.6-618)
4PM, Cortisol115.03 (85.3-459.6)
00PM, Cortisol 104.27 (no reference values yet!,but could be in the normal range)

Part #4.
E2-estrogen 22.33 (11-165)---low? but why and how to improve it?
progesterone 1.08 (0.15-1.4)
testosterone 33.10 (14-76)

---------------------

I am considering what else tests should I have further to confirm sth. and do sth. , taking supplement of B12, iron?? to improve my condition.

Any replies are appreciated.

Hugs,

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Smile Re: New Lab results after treatment, for interpretation and sharing.

Hi Jenny ~ I'm only going to comment on what I know
Quote:
TSH 6.02
Ferritin 34.2 (6-159)
VB12 245 (156-672)
Your T's are just about mid-range, which is good! And your TSH still needs a lil work (as you know) Some more T4 should hooked you right up seems like you're responding well to treatment, but how do you feel ?? ? (its the REAL test)

My ferritin was in need of help at 33. In six weeks time I got it up to 79 by:
1) Eating Cream-0-wheat, Malt-0-Meal, (hot wheat enriched cereal) every day It has 60% of daily iron right there
2) taking PRE-NATAL vitamins daily also (in vitamin area of any store)

And while I'm not sure if my B12 was lowish, I think the PRE-NATAL vits got them up to a respectable mid-range too

take care ~Sue

Old 09-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Re: New Lab results after treatment, for interpretation and sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey77 View Post
My ferritin was in need of help at 33. In six weeks time I got it up to 79 by:
1) Eating Cream-0-wheat, Malt-0-Meal, (hot wheat enriched cereal) every day It has 60% of daily iron right there
2) taking PRE-NATAL vitamins daily also (in vitamin area of any store)

And while I'm not sure if my B12 was lowish, I think the PRE-NATAL vits got them up to a respectable mid-range too

take care ~Sue
Sue, Thanks. I plan to take all-wheat cereal, what is your thought?
but what is pre-natal vitamin? I now take vitamin C by GNC, and vitamin B12 by Now Foods.

Best wishes, Jenny

Old 09-25-2008, 04:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: New Lab results after treatment, for interpretation and sharing.

Hi Jenny ~
PRE-NATAL vitamins are over-the-counter supplements that can be bought at any drug or grocery store. They are made for pregnant or nursing mothers, but available to anyone. And are GREAT because vitamins C, D, E, Thiamin, Niacin, B6, Folate, B-12, Iron, Zinc are all at 100% requirements , or higher

Seriously, my ferritin was 33 then up to 79 because of the PRE-NATAL vits & Cream-0-wheat cereal

~Sue

Old 09-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Was this blood work drawn on 25 or 50 mcgs of T4?

Let's see where you are in range:
FT3 4.42 pmol/L (2.5-6.5) You are 48% of the normal range here. This is suboptimal. A woman of childbearing age should be 60-80% in range IF they are meeting the statistical optimal levels.
FT4 17.48 pmol/L (11.5-23.2) You are 51% of the normal range here. This is suboptimal, BUT the fact that your FT4 and Ft3 levels are balanced is a good sign. A balanced FT4 and FT3 show that you are converting well and that a T4 only supplement may just work for you. I agree that a bump in aT4 is warranted maybe 12.5 mcgs, no more than 25 mcgs at this time.
TSH 6.02 mIU/l (0.35-2.5)- Your body is saying it is still hypothyroid as far as your pituitary gland can tell.

iPTH 71.80 pg/ml (14-72)---relatively high, thank goodness that MG has recommended this test
rT3 0.12 ng/ML (0.2-0.64)---low, which I think it is associated with the high PTH level, Low RT3 with high iPTH, Does it mean I have hyperparathyroidism?

It is not a CLEAR indicator of parathyroid dysfunction. HOWEVER your parathyroids and adrenals and many other systems are affected by your thyroid state. Your hypothyroid state, may have been pushing you into a mild hyperparathyroid state. Once thyroid supplementation is optimized, things may return to normal. However it is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

The following Complete Blood Count is what I had tested one month ago
MCV 93.1 (82.0-92.0) High
MCH 31.4 (27.0-31.0) High
MPV 8.2 (8.5-11.8) Low
RBC 4.05 (3.50-5.50), 4.5 would be better...
PCV 37.70(35.00-50.00) Low
Hgb 127( 110-150) Lowish

Triglyceride 2.17(0.4-1.8) High (sign on poor adrenal conversion into pregnenolone in some as well as a sign of hypothyroidism)

The Immune system fluxes can just be that you are still existing in a hypothyroid state. It can take a few months for peripheral systems to begin functioning optimally AFTER you get your thyroid hormones optimized. Were you recovering from a cold at this time or suffering from allergies? Just curious.

Ferritin 34.2 (6-159),---relatively low This is far from optimal and it can cause you to suffer hypothyroid symptoms with out being hypothyroid. You need a ferrous fumerate or oxalate supplementation regime. Make sure to take vitamin C when taking your iron. it will boost absorption of your supplement.
VB12 245 (156-672)---not sure about it You are at 17% of the normal range. Optimal is around 60%. You need vitamin B supplementation as well. I prefer a super B complex myself. My MDs (neurologist and IM) say if one vit B is low the others may be as well. Also B6 and B2 and others boost the immune system and help with migraines.

folic acid (folate) >24 (3.2-6.4)--- too high, but why?
Folic acid helps with your bodies metabolism and absorption of iron. A theory for this may be that your body knows you need more iron and is doing its best to see any iron your eat is converted and moved into your system. Just a theory.. not medical fact.

CO2 21.20 (22-31)--- sightly low, means medabolic acidosis?

It can also mean that you are suffering a respiratory ill or that you are suffering from shortness of breath.. there are many things that can cause this. You should worry more when this result is High.

8AM, blood Cortisol 607.82 ( 118.6-618) -
This is good. Nice and high. You are 97.9 % of normal range. Were you feeling stressed or anxious at the time of your test? How was your day before the test. Stress can result in artificial spikes in you cortisol. You wouldn't want to add any cortisol to your morning regime.
4PM, Cortisol115.03 (85.3-459.6) Let us see what happens as the day goes on. You have dropped to 7% of the normal range. UGH! This will make you feel like a ground in Cow Patty. Maybe even with cherries on top for the sake of added color.
What time here? 00PM, Cortisol 104.27 (no reference values yet!,but could be in the normal range) You are a bit low here as well.

DHEA is known to help adrenal fatigue. I do not think you have true blue adrenal dysfunction. I am not an MD, but I have done my homework. I think this is tied to your low estrogen and testosterone levels. DHEA supplementation in the morning and afternoon may be what you need. If this doesn't work a noon supplementation of pregnenolone may work out for you. I do not see an MD prescribing cortisol given these results. OTC support supplementation in 20-25 mg of pregnenolone OR 10-20 mg of DHEA may be acceptable to your MD. You should always check with your MD and his/her nurse so that they are up on your medications and whether or not OTC supplementation will interfere with it or not.

E2-estrogen 22.33 (11-165)---low? but why and how to improve it? DHEA supplementation. DHEA is converted to estrogen, estrodoil(sp), and testosterone directly. Did they check your DHEA? I don't see it here.
testosterone 33.10 (14-76) This is a bit low as well.

progesterone 1.08 (0.15-1.4) This is good. Progesterone can be converted to DHEA which moves into the other sex hormones. It looks like there might be a fault in your progesterone to DHEA conversion. Without seeing your DHEA level I can not tell for sure. HOWEVER lowered conversion into DHEA and the subsequent Estrogen and Testosterone are very common in hypothyroid patients. Your system may still regulate itself.

Your should continue to check that PTH every 8 - 12 weeks. Check your DHEA and pregnenolone levels if this has not been done. Keep on top of the TSH and FTs. Why didn't your MD run an ACTH? You may have pituitary gland issues given how high your TSH is given you 50% range of normal in thyroid hormones. I would suspect you to be closer to that 1-2 range here.

ACTH, and prolactin might be a warranted set of tests to access the pituitary gland.

All in all I think you should start an iron supplement and super B complex now. You may also want to call and ask if you can take 10 mg of DHEA as a morning supplement for mood and PMS. It normally helps in this regard. It is safe to go up to 20 mg of DHEA, but you want your levels tested first. At 4 weeks get those thyroid hormones check and your pituitary gland checked out. You may want to boost your T4 a smidge depending on Ft levels. Until your B12 and iron get into more reasonable levels... hypoT symptoms as a result of low ferritin can not be ruled out. You want a ferritin level above 70.

Good luck and I am glad I could help.
MG

Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User
Talking Re: New Lab results after treatment, for interpretation and sharing.

Hi, MG. Thanks very much that you popped in.

This blood work was drawn on 50 mcgs of T4. But I just took less than 2 weeks of 50 mcg of T4. There are still lots of confusion

1. For FTs and others, I input my readings in Microsoft Excel with the maximum levels, , to follow up them month by month as well as calculate the percentage%, what I got is FT3 is 4.42/6.5=68%, FT4 is 75%.
You are 48% of the normal range here. You are 51% of the normal range here
Oh, I am really confused how you calculated them?

2. Yes, I have had ACTH tested...sorry forgot to post it.
ACTH 19.7 pg/ml (0-46), it tested at 8 am the same day

3.the Cortisol tests What I have done are all blood work...not the saliva ones,,so I am considering to take another 24 hour urine test, what is your thought?

4. Were you recovering from a cold at this time or suffering from allergies? Just curious. I think I have a ucler in my throat...for recent days,,,,my LYM was 46.6 (20.0-40.0).

4. 8AM, blood Cortisol 607.82 ( 118.6-618) - This is good. Nice and high. You are 97.9 % of normal range. Were you feeling stressed or anxious at the time of your test? How was your day before the test.

lol, yes, I did feel stressful in the morning, and felt sleepy at the noon and later. you know, for this set of tests as well as two times of Cortisol tests, it is really tiring for I have to stay at the hospital to wait for blood draw the whole day...

5. yes, DHEA, that is a test I have to do next time as well as PTH,rT3, and Vitamin D,,,etc... to check if I am deffient on it...still lots of work to "do"

Hugs,

Jenny

Last edited by cutejenny77; 09-25-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey77 View Post
Hi Jenny ~
PRE-NATAL vitamins are over-the-counter supplements that can be bought at any drug or grocery store. They are made for pregnant or nursing mothers, but available to anyone. And are GREAT because vitamins C, D, E, Thiamin, Niacin, B6, Folate, B-12, Iron, Zinc are all at 100% requirements , or higher

Seriously, my ferritin was 33 then up to 79 because of the PRE-NATAL vits & Cream-0-wheat cereal

~Sue
OH, yeah, I remembered I asked you the same question in another post..

But for multivitamins, they usually contain 150 mcg of iodine in them...It is hard to find iodine-free multivitamins. Do you take pre-natal vitamins with iodine? Do you always take them? I am worried that I would be "addicted" with them because it is said that there would be some symtoms if stop taking them....

Old 09-26-2008, 06:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Thanks very much that you popped in. Your welcome I try and spread myself around like butter.. there is a lot of toast on this board.

This blood work was drawn on 50 mcgs of T4. But I just took less than 2 weeks of 50 mcg of T4. There are still lots of confusion.
It only takes two weeks for your blood levels to reach equilibrium. This these results are indicative of where you are in range, but your body may not have made up its mind whether or not to accept this dose as optimal for you yet.

Your formula is not taking into count that there is a lower range limit. You assumed a lower limit of zero in your formula. Doing this artificially inflates your results. The appropriate formula for calculation of % in a given range is:
[Your value - lower limit]/[upper limit- lower limit]*100 = %
FT3 4.42 pmol/L (2.5-6.5)
FT4 17.48 pmol/L (11.5-23.2)
So using your numbers:
%FT3 = [4.42 - 2.5]/[6.5-2.5]*100 = 48%
%FT4 = [17.48-11.5]/[23.2-11.5]*100 = 51%

Your levels are in balance with only a 51 - 48 = 3% deviation and thus conversion/adrenal issues are not suspected.

If you want a more detailed explanation my week 2 thyroid care and concerns thread goes into detail on this and many other issues.

2. Yes, I have had ACTH tested...sorry forgot to post it.
ACTH 19.7 pg/ml (0-46), it tested at 8 am the same day

This confirms that your pituitary gland sees the level of cortisol that you are getting to be sufficient. If it was high it would indicate that you are not producing enough cortisol and aldosterone. If you are nearer to 0 in range it could be an indicator that you are producing too much cortisol/aldosterone.

3. What I have done are all blood work...not the saliva ones,,so I am considering to take another 24 hour urine test, what is your thought?
I think getting a saliva would be a better representation of your cortisol rhythm through out the day. The bulk/average cortisol test could reveal something as well.

I think I have a ucler in my throat...for recent days,,,,my LYM was 46.6 (20.0-40.0).
This could explain some of the blood cell count levels that were off. Any infection of allergic reaction has a different effect there.

4. 8AM, blood Cortisol 607.82 ( 118.6-618) - This is good. Nice and high. You are 97.9 % of normal range. Were you feeling stressed or anxious at the time of your test? How was your day before the test.
Yes, I did feel stressful in the morning, and felt sleepy at the noon and later. you know, for this set of tests as well as two times of Cortisol tests, it is really tiring for I have to stay at the hospital to wait for blood draw the whole day...

I know the feeling. I just had the 4 hour GTT done on top of an ACTH stim test not to long ago. You have to try and stay relaxed the 24-48 hours before and day of these tests. I brought my nano(like an ipod) listened to classical music, read a dull book and snoozed in a chair. The lab tech kept coming out and waking me up. I can sleep anywhere when not on my cortisol, because I do not make any.

5. yes, DHEA, that is a test I have to do next time as well as PTH,rT3, and Vitamin D,,,etc... to check if I am deffient on it...still lots of work to "do"

I count by the vials. My record was 13 vials in one day. My average is 10-11. I have had the techs bounce back and forth between arms to get enough. I donate blood every 4 -6 weeks as a result of living as experiment, Melissa! We have to keep our sense of humor saves on the Kleenex expenditures.

MG

Old 09-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #9
(female)

cutejenny77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Thanks very much that you popped in. Your welcome I try and spread myself around like butter.. there is a lot of toast on this board.

This blood work was drawn on 50 mcgs of T4. But I just took less than 2 weeks of 50 mcg of T4. There are still lots of confusion.
Your formula is not taking into count that there is a lower range limit. You assumed a lower limit of zero in your formula. Doing this artificially inflates your results. The appropriate formula for calculation of % in a given range is:
[Your value - lower limit]/[upper limit- lower limit]*100 = %

Your levels are in balance with only a 51 - 48 = 3% deviation and thus conversion/adrenal issues are not suspected.

If you want a more detailed explanation my week 2 thyroid care and concerns thread goes into detail on this and many other issues.
[B][I]
I donate blood every 4 -6 weeks as a result of living as experiment, Melissa! saves on the Kleenex expenditures.

MG
Thank you very much for detailed explanation, MG! Yes,,We have to keep our sense of humor even with possible downhill condition...

Last edited by cutejenny77; 09-26-2008 at 07:17 AM.

Closed Thread