It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 05:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Allergic reaction and Hashi's

Well I have been told Hashi's can be caused or worsened by allergic reactions.

Last Sunday I got stung by an yellow jacket out on my property.......I was so worried about having a severe reaction but did okay with only some localized pain and itching.....took a few benadryl....

Then had to leave out to Tulsa to work for week...Thursday night I go to get Baskin Robbins ice cream....I have not eaten ice cream in a year.....but love Peanut butter and chocolate ice cream from BR and have eaten many times over the years.....I get a big scoop in a cup.

I start eating it and my tounge starts tingling...I keep eating it..then my finger tips and palms starting itching, next thing you know my upper lip is swelling up.....I thought I was imagining it........but it got worse and worse especially the itching of my hands.......I ended up in the emergency room all night with an IV, Benadryl and Steriods.....I had a pretty severe allergic reaction....but why? I was alone and out of State and freaked out.

No food allergies accept to Calamari, it makes me throw up... So I have to get a list of ingredients from BR on this ice cream and was told to never eat it again and to carry an Epi Pen with me now.........could be chocolate or peanuts........I say it was bad ice cream......now I am almost scared to eat.....I also wonder if it is a delayed reaction to the bee sting 4 days before......

So I call my Endo and he says this reaction can worsen my Hashi's....to stay on a antihistamine and antacid like Pepcid or zantac ( blocks histamines) for about 2 weeks.......

I am shocked that I would start having food allergies at 55 ??? None in my family and I can eat anything at all.....have always eaten chocolate and peanuts with no problems.

I had to return my rental car and take 2 flights home yesterday.......airlines lost my luggage....I was drowsy from medication and anxious about this reaction.......I had a terrible day and was scared to eat. I had the worse week ever.....and these health issues are wearing me out........I feel under tremendous stress with my health and having to work the way I do.........

Thanks for listening.........any thoughts about the allergic reactions? do you think our compromised immune systems make us more prone to reactions and illness?

Thanks again........Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Allergic reaction and Hashi's

Hi Ole 53,

I can really relate to your experience because my youngest son has had a peanut allergy since he was 3 yrs old.

Asthma for Dummies has a good section on food allergies, but the best book on the subject is an old classic "Food Allergies." I can't find it at the moment but will run across it I'm sure as I clean my house- my grandchildren were here for 5 days .

Peanuts belong in the Legume family so you must educate yourself about the other foods in this group. You may or may not have trouble with these other foods. Even Licorce is in this group.

Peanut oil or butter in put in many food dishes even Chili. I could write a book on the subject of peanut allergies. This allergy can be fatal so you must learn all you can about it. My son had his worst reaction to beans put in a Taco pizza. Beans of course are in the Legume family.

I don't know about allergies & Haschi's.

I got 20 yellow jacket stings two yrs ago-very painful. A researcher in Ohio is working on a vaccine for yellow jacket allergic reactions. My husband had a bad reaction this summer to 2 stings.

I don't know if you had a delayed reaction. But I do know that when one has more than one allergen to contend with, the probability of a major reaction is increased.

I would be glad to answer any questions. If I forget or can't find your post just keep reminding me. This board goes so fast that I get lost in the shuffle sometimes. My US is on Wed so who knows what kind of results I'm going to get. Plus my other daughter had a biospy on her nodules so we are awaiting the results. Fam

Old 09-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I used to travel a lot for business, and I just never enjoyed it---must have been so frightening to be in a strange place with such an emergency!

My sister was never an allergic person, and over the past 5 years acquired allergies to weird things, medications, and really odd---vinegar!

My doctor said your allergies can actually change over the years, and you are no longer allergic to what you were allergic to your whole life, but a new thing instead.

I know you've been seeing too much of doctors, but if something like this happens again, you might want to check out an allergist for testing.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Food allergy testing is not reliable according to all my sources. We have other food allergies in the family so I am always looking for info on the subject. Dr. Dean Edell on XM is always talking about this subject.

BTW there are special dogs which are bred to sniff out peanut products.

What kind of vinegar, Reece? It would be interesting to see if she is allergic or has some reaction to the other foods in the group. For example if it is apple cider vinegar, then one would look at the botanical group apple are in. Fam

Old 09-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Food allergy testing is not reliable according to all my sources. We have other food allergies in the family so I am always looking for info on the subject. Dr. Dean Edell on XM is always talking about this subject.

BTW there are special dogs which are bred to sniff out peanut products.

What kind of vinegar, Reece? It would be interesting to see if she is allergic or has some reaction to the other foods in the group. For example if it is apple cider vinegar, then one would look at the botanical group apple are in. Fam

Old 09-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for all of the good information........I have much to learn about allergies now as I have had to do with thyroid. Still wondering if it is all tied in.

I am anxious when I eat anything.....I have felt okay but sleepy from the benadryl.....I will see my primary Doctor tomorrow as a follow up.

Seems like my heart has been a little racey but it may just be my anxiety. At least no more itching or swelling anywhere..

Now just trying to find out what caused it...I have eaten eggs and milk since the incident so I know that is not it.....chocolate, peanuts and possible tree nuts I am not willing to test out ......also could be a preservative.

Reece, the traveling for work? Awful..it is the worst and the continued stress is so bad for my thyroid.....I am working on plan B. I was lucky to be in a good area of Tulsa with good medical help close by.

It is so amazing how many smart people are on this board.......We could write a medical book on our own... I think we are pretty awesome......

Nothing like first hand experiences......Thank you all so much...I will let you know what the Doctor says......

Oleander

Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

That is the wierdest thing! It sounds like it was a four-day delayed reaction to the sting, to me, but can't possibly explain it. It's just too much of a coincidence that you got stung a few days earlier.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

The three foods most likely to cause a severe or fatal food reaction are: nuts, shellfish, & peanuts. The type of reaction is anaphylactic shock.

Coping with Food Allergy by Claude A. Frazier, MD (1974 & 79) is the best book on food allergy among my many articles & books on the subject.

The legume family consists mainly of different types of beans, peas including soybeans. Also there are many additives with strange names as well as licorice, carob, green beans. Let me know if you need the list of additives. My son just had trouble with the beans & peanuts products with that food allergy although he had other food allergies that developed later. Two of my other kids have food allergies to chicken, fish. I had a horrible reaction to zucchine. Fam

Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Was seen today by my GP..........ordered a allergy blood test panel and ordered me an Epi Pen to carry until we can figure out what this is all about.
Wants me to stay on the Benadryl and Zantac also a few more days.

I should have the results by Friday.......Oleander

Old 10-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay so I get my results today.......I have a class 2 Milk Allergy ?????

I have never had any allergies and I am 55 years old......what in the world?

All the rest are negative.....I was told to stay away from all milk products. Do you know how many foods and drinks have milk in them?

Chocolate, Ice cream, coffee creamer, cheese, yogurt, cream cheese, I could go on and on..........even Benadryl has milk product in it. I love milk !

So I am not sure about this. I will talk to my Endo about it...I still do not feel good or like myself yet.......I am still in shock over having a milk allergy.

It seems like it is one thing after another.......me and my Epi Pen......

Thanks for listening.......I feel like I am falling apart.......Oleander

Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I wouldn't take those tests results as the gospel. I would get a 2nd opinion. Food allergy tests are known for inaccuraties according to Dr. Dean Edell & other reputable Dr's.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go down a milkshake until you get further info. I love milk too so I know it would leave a huge gap in your meal planning.

It is a well known fact that food allergies etc can develop in later years. All I have read supports that fact.

I would still be cautious about eating peanut products.

Make sure you read the instructions on the epi-pen & note the expiration date. Also note whether you need to refrigerate the epi-pen. My current epi-pen is not to be refrigerated ( they used to have to be refrigerated.)

I'm sorry you have to add this to your already heavy load. Fam

Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fam,

Thanks so much.....I will avoid milk products the best I can for now and have no desire to eat any peanuts. I went out for Mexican tonight......had to say no to cheese several times with great sadness...but I will try it and see what happens. I will read up on my epi pen......

Trying to find coffee creamer with no milk product was a joke....no such animal....soy is about all there is...and some say it is not good for the thyroid. Soooo????? I have to have something in my coffee in the AM.

I have an appt with my Endo next week and will discuss all of this with him.

Thanks so much for the response........Oleander

Old 10-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Don't blame you for being so bummed. Sorry for your new trouble.
Try almond or rice milk in your coffee. Almond milk is delicious... never tried the rice myself.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

This is my 1st day milk free.......I now am checking labels and learning much.
I have rice milk and soy milk.....no one carried Almond so I will get that when I get to a larger city.. Found a brand called Amy's that has some completely dairy free/milk free meals, soups and burritos.........so far so good . I will try it for a while.

I thought I had IBS or was having troubles from all of my medications or problems from Hashi's with digestion.......my stomach was great today....too early to tell but time will tell if it is the milk allergy causing my lower GI problems. I hope it continues like today......

Thanks everyone.....will let you know what my Endo says.........Oleander

Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 AM   #15
(female)

waratah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Don't blame you for being so bummed. Sorry for your new trouble.
Try almond or rice milk in your coffee. Almond milk is delicious... never tried the rice myself.
Hi midwest,

mmmmm. Almond milk? sounds lovely, where would I get this from?

Regards, waratah

Closed Thread