It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
(female)

sylvia56 HB User
thyroiditis how long it can last

ive been prescribed prednisilone on 2 occasions in past 4 months and it reduces the swelling on my right side of my neck but as soon as i stop taking it the swelling reapears iv had thyroiditis for past 5 years and this is the worst so far what next

Old 10-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: thyroiditis how long it can last

I've had chronic thyroiditis for the past 5 1/2 yrs with two separate bouts in the past. I find aspirin works the best for me as far as the swelling goes. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I've had chronic thyroiditis for the past 5 1/2 yrs with two separate bouts in the past. I find aspirin works the best for me as far as the swelling goes. Fam

Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
(female)

sylvia56 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Thankyou for the advice to take asprin i am going to try it but what doseage is appropriate daily? and for how long?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
(female)

VRL HB User

I'm having a time with swollen thyroid right now. Have to go for a ultra sound but meanwhile I find the chewable baby asprin to work very well. Chew and let it coat your throat. Don't drink anything for awhile afterword.
Just an idea.
Mine is lasting a few weeks now. I'm getting very concerned it is something else.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Have they tested you for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. That is for life and it will COMPLETELY obliterate your thyroid over time. It is the autoimmune all out war on your thyroid. Since this haws been so long term chronic I would firmly demand and stick to my guns that your MD order a TPOAb and TGAb run. If it is Hashimoto's you may benefit best from proactive treatment. Also what were your last TSH, FT3 and Ft4 levels. If you managed to get an FT3 run I will be in shock, but I have to ask.

MG

Old 10-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
(female)

VRL HB User

My recent test 9/24 says TSH 1.138, T4 11.2, T3 157
I am on snythroid 100mcg. But recently started hrt and my left side of the thyroid is swollen.
Have the script for an ultra sound but I keep putting it off to see if the swelling goes down first. I'm sure the ultra sound will show something I don't want to know.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I currently take two aspirin (325mg) a day. You should first check with your Dr. to make sure aspirin will not interfere with other meds you may be taking. If you have stomach problems you need to be very careful taking aspirin. Aspirin can cause bleeding in the stomach-even at low doses.

It is best to dilute aspirin in a small amount of room temperature water. I use a shot glass for this (about 1/2 filled with water.) Take it with food & water. I find a slice of cheese (not non fat) helps protect my stomach.

My regular dose of aspirin is about 1/2 tab a day but I have been having some flare-ups so I'm staying on 2 tabs a day for now. I try to decrease the dose as my swelling goes down. I have taken up to two aspirin every two hrs at the height of a thyroiditis flareup.

You need to have a fecal occult stool test once a year if you are taking aspirin on a daily basis.

If you have asthma, you need to be very careful taking aspirin because of possible allergic reactions. Fam

Closed Thread