It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
(male)

GodHand HB User
Thyroid nodules found. Blah

I was notified at my follow-up appointment that two small nodules were located on each thyroid. Being a hypochondriac, this is freaking me out. To top it off, the Physician's Assistant barely answered any of my questions regarding it so I will be finding another Endocrinologist. First, some history.

26 year old male in otherwise good health aside from Hypothyroidism that was diagnosed 10 years ago. I have been on 150 MCG of Levoxyl for about 3 years now, and my TSH levels have remained stable. Basically how concerned about these should I be? Here is the official dictation for the nodules:

"Real Time Thyroid Ultrasonography was performed on this patient with a history of hypothyroidism. The isthmus measures 1.7mm; the right lobe 3.0 x 1.1 x 1.1cm and appears homogeneous. The left lobe measures 2.7 x 1.0 x 1.2cm and appears heterogeneous. Within the mid pole of the right lobe, laterally, is a hypoechoic nodule measuring 6.8 x 3.2 x 4.3mm and in the mid pole of the left lobe, laterally, is a hypoechoic nodule measuring 7.2 x 5.1 x 5.1mm

Impression: Small thyroid gland, bilaterally. Two nodules are noted, one in each lobe. Repeat ultrasound in one year to document size stability of the nodularity is recommended."

I was told these are very small, and a biopsy could not be done at the time of the results because they were so small. I read these are rarely cancer, but I'm still fairly nervous about this. Can anyone shed some light on this diagnosis? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Thyroid nodules found. Blah

Oh yes I remember when my nodules were discovered........I went crazy and Scared to death......I got about 7 opinions total........2 Years later I still have my thyroid, still have my nodules, and am on medication....had to have my medication upped several times in the last 2 years.

Does not look like you have a goiter..........some people have a multinodular goiter......

Buy the book (get newest version) Thyroid for Dummies........it is a great book . My Doctor borrowed it to read. They only thing they do not really discuss is suppression of nodules in there.......they are not for it......It has worked well for me.........but get the book and read it. Good information.

Nodules...scary little devils.......many people have them and do not even know. I have an ultrasound once a year now to see if mine have changed any. I used to get one every 3 months then every 6........ My Endo thinks that is unnecessary. So I am once a year.

Did they check you for antibodies? TP0 test? There are 2 test for thyroid antibodies. You may have Hashimoto's which many of us on this board who have nodules have. How are your t4 t3 and tsh? Nodules come from hypothyroidism sometimes or having Hashimoto's.

If they are too small they hesitate to biopsy them because you go through alot of pain and cost for inconclusive results......since they are both under 1 centermeter they are small.....the rest of the terminology is normal...... hyperecho and all of that.......I looked that up when I had mine.........I was totally freaked out..........I have 12 nodules and 4 dominant ones so I had myself buried.........

Try not to worry.........I could not think straight for 3 months after I was told I had them. BE CAREFUL. I went to one Endo who wanted to take my thyroid out....I am glad now I got another opinion.

Good luck and stay with the board.....It was my life line and still is.

Oleander

Old 10-14-2008, 04:56 AM   #3
(male)

GodHand HB User
Re: Thyroid nodules found. Blah

TSH is at 1.417 and FT4 is at 1.41 and T4 at 1.34. All within normal ranges I was told and stable. I was not tested for any antibodies.

No goiter and asymptomatic (not a surprise). I also do not have Hashimoto's; just regular Hypothyroidism.

I'm not sure if Hypothyroidism alone increase the risks of nodules or what. This is the first time I've ever had an ultrasound of my thyroid glands. Even when I was 16 and first diagnosed I was not given an ultrasound. I guess I should be lucky I haven't had them in the past (or maybe I have, and they just have never grown).

Last edited by GodHand; 10-14-2008 at 04:56 AM.

Closed Thread