It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Why won't insurance pay for proper adrenal testing?

I think I may have adrenal fatigue, but I just found out insurance won't pay for the saliva test, they only pay for bloodwork, which my chiro said comes up normal most of the time. He said the saliva test is usually over $100. I can't afford that without insurance, so how do I get properly diagnosed so I can be treated right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Why won't insurance pay for proper adrenal testing?

I have BCBS they paid for mine. Do they allow for the 24 hour cortisol urine testing? This is not as good as the saliva, but it can show if you are working at a cortisol deficit. The other test that they might approve if your MD will request it is the ACTH stim test. This test is MUCH more expensive than the saliva test, but it can tell you some key information as well.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

That's good to know. I do have BCBS. It's the state government type, but it may still pay for similar things.

I just started reading the book Adrenal Fatigue and it says that unless there's an insurance code for something, most endo's and MD's won't deal with it. There's no code for adrenal fatigue, so the book says that's why most doctor's won't treat it. I think that's absurd!!! If there was no code for cancer, would they not treat that??

My chiro says the endo I'm seeing is the best in the area, but she'll only treat traditional medicine. If I want further treatment of adrenal fatigue, I'll need to see a holistic doctor. That book says they don't even mention adrenal fatigue in medical school. That's really scary.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Mine was tested in conjunction with a code for just fatigue, low vit D, AND Hashimoto's/hypothyroidism. It was to test for hypoadrenalism.. not adrenal fatigue. Adrenal fatigue is not a recognized disorder nationally yet. The insurance companies can still ignore it. They can not ignore an evaluation for hypoadrenalism. That in severe form is Addison's Disease and it can be lethal. Codes and number pushing.. if you find the right ones.. you can get through the door. I have a PPO BCBS of TN policy.

MG

Closed Thread