It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Adrenal issues with sleep, vitiligo problems

Hi everyone, so frustrated. Not getting support from my 3rd endo. He did a adrenal ck, injection etc at my last appt, but did it at 4 pm! he says its fine! Yesterday I called and asked for "cortef" trial... he refused saying my stim test was fine! and my symptoms are not related.
Here are my most bothersome issues: Hashi's, Hypo

sleep: wake up EVERY night at 12:30- 2 am, can NOT get back to sleep til after 4 am. *Fall asleep ok

morning: no energy, low bp, pale face, joint pains fatigue

stress: any stimulation puts me over the edge, adrenaline rushes, anxiety

skin: tons of vitiligo, neck, chest, legs, arms

eyes: very dry, burning

I know these can be caused by other immune things, but, the sleep deal is ruining my life!

Ok, my question: seeing a Rheumatologist next wk, and praying she will listen and let me try cortef? what's your scope on Rheumy drs for these issues? Endo's have been useless! my pcp: useless

From what I've read, cortef can help many autoimmune issues! Maybe the rheumy will shed some light, seeing my ANA was high and all these other symptoms need addressing!
Also, is it true, most thyroid people don't get "vitiiligo"? but adrenals do?

I'm so sick of dr's saying: your symptoms are not related, well then what the heck are they related to??? oh, and to actually speak with the dr? doesn't happen! arguing with a nurse that has a "script" ladeedade dah, fed up with the "stepford nurse" crapola too. sorry, just a bit peeved right now...
Hysterectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
Re: Adrenal issues with sleep, vitiligo problems

Hi Kindspirit, I understand your frustration with the doctors. My GP could not help me, and my endo could not help me...but I found a Naturopath that has been wonderful. I think many traditional doctors don't believe in Adrenal Fatigue so if you have a Naturopath in your area you might try that route.

Although I was diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue my doc did not start me on Cortef, but on Adreset (a natural supplement) which I don't think has helped me much. I don't think Cortef will help with other autoimmune issues, but should help if you end up testing with low cortisol. (But I guess perhaps if you get your cortisol level where it needs to be your immune system will be stronger.)

Are you sure your thyroid numbers are where they need to be? Has your doc tested your Free T3 and Free T4?

I don't think most people with thyroid disease get vitiligo, but it is another auto-immune disease and once you get one auto-immune disorder you are more likely to develop more. But I know alot of people with thyroid disorders and none of them have vitiligo. When did yours develop?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

The problem with adrenal issues is that doctors have been taught that Hydrocortisone (Cortef) is dangerous to prescribe and causes more problems than it solves. That is true at higher than normal doses. A healthy human makes about the equivalnet of 40mg of Cortef a day in Cortisol. It is only when long term use above that level is prescribed that wee start seeing bad side effects from it.

Because they have been taught that hydrocortisone is dangerous, you do not have a problem until you are on your death bed, according to the blood work. A progressive doctor that puts a little thought into things will see that and treat you properly. There is a book, called "The Safe Uses of Cortisol" by a Dr. William Jeffries that is written for doctors and has fantastic information and several studies done by Dr. Jeffries on how to safely and properly dose with Cortef. It might be well worth looking for. Sometimes you can get your local library to borrow it from another library if they don't have it, and the purchase price is too much.

You may find exceprt of it on the web, or other articles that he has written on the subject via a web search, though I haven't done that, lately.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Thanks Heck for your reply. My tsh was 2.86 last ck and upped dose to .88, waiting for labs end of month. My levels have been all over the place since treatment started in Jan. They got too low, and now climbing back up again.
This endo doesn't believe in the t's 3 etc but believes in having a very low tsh, so that's a good thing. The vitiligo has been there most of my life on my neck, but is spreading more now. I'm hoping the Rheumy will figure this part out, as its definately autoimmune issues, and might even be Lupus as past dr's thought it was, due to so many other skin issues ( rare: porokeratosis). Plus have a bad kidney, per cat scans, one is eaten up, looks like my thyroid from hashi's, so need to slow down this inflammation attacks. Just need to get the sleep cycle fixed! Thanks for the suggestion on naturalpath, had found one but she's not taking new patients, urgh. Keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome with the next dr? Meep, yes I read his article, that's what urged me to ask for cortisol. He makes a lot of sense!! But, I understand the dangers too, and having a bad kidney does concern me when adding any more drugs!! so, guess see what the rhuemy dr thinks?
Hysterectomy

Last edited by kindspirit; 10-14-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: add

Old 10-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
(female)

shelbe HB User

Hi kindspirit,

I can relate to how you are feeling because I also have vitiligo and hypothyroidism. I am now in the process of being tested for adrenal issues. My ACTH test came back with high ACTH and my cortisol was a little low. My endo thinks I'm on the "verge" of adrenal failure but wants to wait until I get to that point before treating. She decided to run an adrenal antibodies test and I am waiting for that result. I got vitiligo when I was in high school. It started under my arms but before I had it I had begun to have like what felt to me like adrenaline rushes so I have often wondered if my adrenals had something to do with it. The vit. has pretty much been dormant until recently when I started feeling awful (exhaustion, light headed, etc). I wonder if HC would help with the vitiligo. I hope you get the help you need.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindspirit View Post
He makes a lot of sense!! But, I understand the dangers too, and having a bad kidney does concern me when adding any more drugs!! so, guess see what the rhuemy dr thinks?
I love his work. The thing is, his work was all about proving to the world that at a proper replacement dose, there is no danger. Just like with thyroid meds, if you dose more than what a healthy person requires, you are asking for trouble, but if you dose at the proper level for the individual, "miraculously" you feel better.

Almost as important as the proper dose is TIMING of the dose, especially with Cortisol. some need equal doses 4 times a day, while some need more in the morning and less with each dose as the day wears on.

Some take their thyroid meds two or even three times a day, some take them once in the morning, and some take them once at night, and get their best results.

One size does not fit all, with thyroid meds or adrenal meds, but the thing to remember is that that these are not "drugs" but natural chemicals that our body is not making enough of. They only become "drugs"--which have side effects--when used in the wrong way or at the wrong dose.

They are not to be feared, if approached sensibly and cautiously.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
(female)

bonnie 3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckofagal View Post
Hi Kindspirit, I understand your frustration with the doctors. My GP could not help me, and my endo could not help me...but I found a Naturopath that has been wonderful. I think many traditional doctors don't believe in Adrenal Fatigue so if you have a Naturopath in your area you might try that route.

Although I was diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue my doc did not start me on Cortef, but on Adreset (a natural supplement) which I don't think has helped me much. I don't think Cortef will help with other autoimmune issues, but should help if you end up testing with low cortisol. (But I guess perhaps if you get your cortisol level where it needs to be your immune system will be stronger.)

Are you sure your thyroid numbers are where they need to be? Has your doc tested your Free T3 and Free T4?

I don't think most people with thyroid disease get vitiligo, but it is another auto-immune disease and once you get one auto-immune disorder you are more likely to develop more. But I know alot of people with thyroid disorders and none of them have vitiligo. When did yours develop?
I, too, have had vitilego since about age 10, I'm 59. T. cancer surgery last year, both lobes, RAI 2x, another in Feb 09; Hashimoto's more than 40 years; Crappy endo's looking for another, have all of the body temp problems to include body temp of 95.1. Numbers are all goofed up, increasing and decreasing meds was 175 mcg Levoxyl, now 150 mcg, helped some to lower; over medicated but now my TSH is on the rise which lends itself to a cancer reaccurance; endo does not believe in adrenal fatigue. Good luck because the docs need more education on the subject.

Closed Thread