It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
(female)

ancdc HB User
Anxious about switching to Armour

Hi.

Tomorrow I start my first dose of Armour. I am switching from Levoxyl, and I am very anxious about what to expect with Armour. I'm also getting really frustrated that I have been searching for the right medication dosage for more than 2 years.

I've been on dosages of Levoxyl from 25mcgs up to 125mcgs. I was on 88mcgs for about 9 months most recently - my longest stint yet - but somewhere in the middle I was also on Cytomel, which made me crazy.

So, I got off the Cytomel, but my hair is still falling out with Levoxyl among other things. So we're trying Armour....

I will be on Armour 60mgs. I cut the pills in half already and will take half in the morning and half in the afternoon. Does that sound right? (My doctor said I'd have to "experiment" with it.)

I know Armour works for some people and doesn't for others. How soon will I know if I'm going to have bad side effects with it? What should I be looking for?

Has anyone found a particular med/dose that helps to stop the hair falling out (and dry skin)?

thanks....

Old 10-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Anxious about switching to Armour

I have done well with Armour........never had hair fall out.

I was on 3 Grains or 120mg for 2 years then switched to Thyrolar and Cytomel.....which agreed with me but Thyrolar has lactose in it and I am allergic to milk so my Endo took me off and am back on 3 Grains of Armour again because it is milk free . I am working up to 4 Grains a day.

What dosage are you on?

I hope it works for you. I myself never had one problem with it at all.....no headaches or nervousness....no diarrhea........not one problem but everyone is different.......good luck

Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
(female)

alikat709 HB User

I was also switching doses of the synthroid for actually three yrs. I just switched to armour this past june. I feel much better on armour than when I was on synthroid. NO side effects. ( I oink every now and then lol)
kathy

Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Kathy that is hysterical !!! Oleander I oink too.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Have you had your ferritin tested? Hypothyroidism leads to malabsorption issues in many of us. This can result in certian hypothyroid symptom mimics. Low ferritin results in fatigue and hairloss. Low B12 can do the same thing, but it also makes your nails brittle. Standard blood panels do not test your ferritin and B12 levels. Your MD must write them in special. The most common vitamins that can mimic hypothyroid symptoms OR amplify them are Ferritin, B12, vit D, and magnesium. These require special write in lab requests. Many MDs just over look them and assume we are getting all we need.

Your Ferritin should be higher than 70, any lower and you should supplement your iron intake.
Your B12 you want in the 50-80% range of normal, same with vit D. If they are not you should add a super B complex and vit D supplement.
Your Magnesium levels should be 40-60% of range.

Or systems thrive on equilibrium and balance. When the thyroid goes we lose or manager/overseerer. This requires a lot of tweeking to get right.

As to how much Armour and when. Keep a symptom log and tweek dosing times every two weeks. In two weeks you will know if 60 is too much for you. My Aunt B needed some T3,just not alot. She had to mix and match synthroid and Armour to optimize her meds. You may require something similar. She takes 75 mcgs of synthroid and a grain of Armour. She has no thyroid/thyroid function left to interfere with dosing adjustments. Cytomel drove her up the wall and anyone elses backside as well. It is common for artificial T3 supplementation to be harder to adjust too. Not sure why, there is just a greater tendancy for side effects. She takes her Armour at 6 am and 3 pm. Dosing after 4 pm tended to leave her wired.

MG

Closed Thread