It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

lisaann1 HB User
Question Hypothyroid with heat intolerance??

Can a person be hypothyroid and have heat intolerance? First off, I'm trying to figure out for sure if I am hypothyroid. My endo doesnt think so, but considering I only have 1/2 of my thyroid left and symptoms such as hair loss, extreme fatigue, water retention, weight gain of 15 lbs in a couple of months, moody, and female montlhy irregularities, and slow heart rate. I've had many of these symptoms for several years, but some have gotten worse since my lobectomy back in November.

My last two lab results were as follows:
October
TSH 1.79 (.45-4.5)
t4 8.5 (4.5-12)
t3 151 (85-205)
free t3 3.0 (2.3-4.2)
free t4 1.14 (.61-1.76)

Sept. results
tsh 1.537 (.45-4.5)
t4 7.2 (4.5 - 12)
t3 136 (85 - 205)

I dont know what is considered optimal or sub optimal, so I'm not sure if I would qualify for being hypo. As long as I'm in the "normal" range, my endo thinks I am fine and do not need to be on any meds.
Even though I have some of the classic hypo symptoms, including intolerance to cold, I also have an intolerance to heat. If it is hot, I am absolutely miserable. I swell with fluid retention, especially in my hands and ankles and my face gets very red.

So with all of these symptoms, including the strange heat intollerance as well, does it seem like my thyroid is as messed up as I feel?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
(female)

tired47 HB User
Re: Hypothyroid with heat intolerance??

Lisann1,
I am borderline hypo with NO heat tolerance ( and live in South Texas) and no cold tolerance either. I too had thyroid lobectomy 2 years ago, NEVER had any health problems before the surgery. Now I am also extremely tired , have developed rapid heart rate/and SVT just to name a few health issues
Also check your adrenal function- that could also be causing you problems. Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

oh yes indeedy.

i cannot tolerate the heat. i've got hashi's. i turn into a hermit in the summer. if i could hibernate through it, i would. it's very uncomfortable for me. it was one of the symptoms i've had that doesnt fit into the 'typical' list of hypothyroid symptoms.

you've certainly got hypo symptoms, and normal ranges are not always optimal levels, which is a notion most doctors can't get their heads around.

Last edited by scoot; 10-16-2008 at 12:38 PM.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Count me in. I'm am so thrilled to see the temps & humidity drop!!! Now I have to catch up on all the work I couldn't get done this summer even though I keep my house at 66 degrees. BTW my body temp ranges from 95-97 with the average being 96. FAm

Old 10-20-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
(female)

caitlin77 HB User
Smile Re: Hypothyroid with heat intolerance??

G'Day. I have congenital hypothyroidism and I hate the heat. The cold is alright coz I can always put more clothes on but the heat is intolerable. As we average temperatures on over 30 celcius in summer with high humidity, this is hell for me. I've always read that hyperthyroid had heat issues but like you I'm hypo and can't handle the heat. hang in there, mate. You're not alone.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
(female)

Angelica27 HB User

I am so relieved to read these posts. I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism this past week, but I've been doubting the diagnosis because I have always had an elevated resting heart rate as well as an unbelievable intolerance for heat (like, no humans should come into contact with me when it's hot or humid and I'm out in it). Has anyone had an elevated resting heart rate symptom on top of the heat intolerance? Also, have any of you pursued testing for adrenal insufficiency? I've been researching it, and the symptoms are virtually identical...

Old 01-31-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

I've had an elevated heart rate with a TSH of 4.3. It can be as low as in the 60's (my normal used to be 52, I'm a distance runner), or up to 80, I went to ther ER when it was well over 100 (normal EKG). I live in SE Texas and the summers are getting harder and harder on me, I am definitely becoming more intolerant of the heat. I'm 47 so I don't know if that is an age thing, it may be because a lot of my friends say the same thing. I am also more cold intolerant. We have had a little cold snap recently and I have been freezing. I am the one who is lucky to put the heat on 65° and even I have been bumping it up to 70. I would love to live in a moderate climate like San Diego.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
(female)

purplesushi HB Userpurplesushi HB User

OMG - and I thought I was nuts. I can't stand the extreme cold or extreme heat (thank goodness I live in California so the winters aren't tooooo bad, but the summers... uuuugh!) I am always first to haul out the throw blankets in the fall & absolutely MELT when the temps go over 85* in the summer if there's no breeze to keep it bearable. When it's beyond 95*, forget it - I won't go outside for days because I feel like I've been walking the sahara it wipes me out so bad. I haven't "technically" been diagnosed as hypo yet, but I know I am and I'm just waiting for confirmation after the last test results come back.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

I am hypothyroid and have both a cold and heat intolerance since I was a little girl,its kind of like my thermostat is broken...I have always been very sensitive the cold and the heat,I have on my sweaters,hat and gloves and blankets when I am cold and my a/c when it is hot...

Last edited by pinkprincess3; 07-08-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:55 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I'm hypothyroid and have always been hot natured and cannot tolerate heat. This summer has been awful....high 90's and into the 100's the last couple weeks. My legs start feeling like jello when I'm outside.

I don't agree with docs who have these absolutes when it comes to hyper/hypo. Everyone is different and reacts differently. I mean, not everyone with a cold or the flu even has the same symptoms, so how can you say you're automatically hyper just because you can't tolerate heat?

Old 07-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
(female)

Angelica27 HB User

Thought I would write a quick update just in case it's helpful to anyone. It turns out my thyroid wasn't the problem at all, but since the whole endocrine system is dependent on everyone doing their jobs, my thyroid was a little wonky for a while. It was not the cause of the problem, however. After doing a LOT of research and after being laughed at by an endocrinologist who believed I was too young to be experiencing the symptoms I was claiming, I started working with a doctor who worked with me and my research regarding which tests we should order in the interest of really finding out what was going on. DHEA turned out to be the key. My level was way, way low and I had it tested three different times. This can be supplemented over the counter and after finding some good recommendations for manufacturers (you have to be really careful & do your research), I found one and I went for it. Within 36 HOURS of starting a fairly low dose (what was recommended at the time), my life was turned back around. It was that dramatic. I was expecting nothing, and I seriously got my life back. I could walk outside in the heat and not burst into tears within five minutes. But, I will say for other people: you MUST get your levels checked first before you just go on the supplement, because it's a precursor to at least two hormones in your body, and if you don't need it you certainly shouldn't be taking it. It's a simple blood test and you'll have results in a day or two. If it is a DHEA deficiency, also go back after being on the supplement and have it tested again to make sure you're in normal range. It's so important to be careful with these things as the supplements are not regulated by the FDA. But in my case, it was worth the risk because I was living in utter misery. And after being on the supplement for a while and having gotten my system regulated again, I weaned myself off and I've been doing great thusfar. If I feel my system dipping, I go back on 5mg for a little while. I think some of us just naturally aren't producing enough of things because of the environments we're now living in (not to mention the processed food we often eat). Stress kills your adrenals, and we're buried in it. Get your levels tested first, but this might really help you. As I said, it has done nothing less than give me my life back. No small thing. Good luck!!!

p.s. If you do find it's not your thyroid and actually your adrenals messing you up, I would highly recommend also taking an adrenal rebuilder formula of some kind. No hormones, just high concentrations of vitamins that nourish the adrenal glands...I've found these to also be helpful as maintenance.

Last edited by Angelica27; 07-10-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: adding a p.s.

The Following User Says Thank You to Angelica27 For This Useful Post:
wandamf2 (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread