It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: west Monroe, La.
Posts: 17
reneeinmlu HB User
Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

Hi Hilary,

They closed that threat right after you posted on it last night. I hope you get this one. Yes, my doctor is Dr. Sanson. You are right, it takes forever to get in to see her but she is very good. She takes her time with you and explains everything and answers all of your questions. I really like her. Of course Dr. Norman said she didn't know what she was doing and called all the test she sent me for, "CRAP." That is when I decided to not go to him for my surgery. First of all, she sent me for an ultrasound for EXISTING Thyroid Nodules that I had biopsied THREE years ago. I have not been back to see her in TWO years which is totally my fault. As you know those have to be "watched" and because I had not kept my appointments, they had not been checked in years. So she was right to check for any growth or change in those. She has been my doctor for years. The Bone Density was ordered for obvious reasons due to Parathyroid disease. AND what is wrong with her doing a scan? They did my scan at Glenwood and they DID find it. So I'm not sure what Dr. Norman's problem with our doctors running the test is but I feel Dr. Sanson is very thorough and she has done an excellent job. It bothers me how he speaks about other doctors and surgeons. Anyway, I have found a surgeon in Pittsburgh and that is where I am going next month. We are in the process now of choosing a date for for my surgery.

I'm really sorry that you have discovered you have yet another one. UGH! How long have you had the symptoms? I have not heard about anyone in New Orleans. What is the surgeons name? Keep me posted and I hope to talk to you soon.

Renee

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 10-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 11
lizzy595 HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

I'm having surgery in about one week and can hardly wait. Mmee, I'm so happy that you have yours is over and I hope are feeling better everyday.

Last edited by lizzy595; 10-21-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling

 
Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: usa
Posts: 79
mistygreen HB User
Talking Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeinmlu View Post
Hi Hilary,

They closed that threat right after you posted on it last night. I'm not sure what Dr. Norman's problem with our doctors running the test is.... It bothers me how he speaks about other doctors and surgeons. Anyway, I have found a surgeon in Pittsburgh and that is where I am going next month.
HI,
First of all, Best wishes to anyone waiting for surgery.!!
Glad you posted part two of this thread, as it is very timely,, and I am sure there are many folks here interested in experiences with Dr Norman AND others MDs. I was very anxious about the surgery, and learned alot from Parathyroid.com (Dr Norman's website). However, I live in the North, & I chose not to go to Tampa. I found a wonderful surgeon near my hometown. However, I was dismayed by Dr Norman's unwillingness to offer referrals to out of state MD's ..once it was clear I couldn't go to him.. Since he teaches this procedure how can he then say he's the ONLY one who should do it?? I have heard he is top notch// but not the one and Only.!!
If you need a referral, check for endocrine surgeons, and head and neck surgeons, and general surgeons that specialize in parathyroid surgery, and have LOTS of experience specifically with parathyroid surgery.. The hardest part is finding, choosing the best for you.... BUT, pick a good hospital too.. they can often give you direction/physician referrals.

If you do go to Tampa,, give yourself a little break before hopping back on a plane.. you may be a little sore, a little unsteady on your feet. Everyone is different. Safe journey./Happy recuperation, and Stay well. Misty. Ps Keep the feedback coming.. wherever you have the surgery!!

Last edited by mistygreen; 10-23-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typos

 
Old 10-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: west Monroe, La.
Posts: 17
reneeinmlu HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

Hi Hilary and Misti,

Sorry I've not posted in awhile. Just an update for you. My surgery is now scheduled for November 20 and I have my doctors appointment on the 19th. However, I have decided to go with Dr. David Terris in Augusta, Ga. There are several reasons. The first being that I have not heard back from Dr. Ferris's office in Pittsburgh. I emailed him last Thursday to ask some questions and he never emailed me back. He was usually very prompt in getting back to me. My doctors office called his and sent my records on Monday and I did get in touch with his surgery coordinator. I wanted to have the surgery after my son graduated from basic training in South Carolina because I just want to see my son before doing this. His office was supposed to get back to me but it has been all week and no call back. I'm not sure why it would take so long to see if they can do it then. Dr. Terris in Georgia, however, got right back to me and advised he could do it when I needed and has already scheduled it for me as well as my appointment prior to the surgery. He came highly reccommended by several univeristy department heads as well. He does do the minimally invasive as well and has done many of them. Once I see my son again in person, I will be ready to go through with this but I just needed to see my son again.

Also...I have been advised that not only do I have to get the tumor on my Parathyroid removed but also my entire Thyroid as well due to several nodules on it that have grown over the last few years. Now I am even more scared then I was before. Is there anyone out there who has ever had to get both removed at the same time? Please, if so, let me know how that went and how you felt afterward. I'm fretting over it now pretty bad. Thanks. Good to talk to you all. I hope everyone is doing well. Hilary...have you scheduled yours yet? Have you heard anything further about the surgeon in New Orleans? Let me know. Talk to you soon.

Renee

 
Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: us
Posts: 1,693
famnd HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

Renee,

Sorry to hear that you aren't going to PGH. But glad you found another surgeon.

Did the Dr. say how he will do the thyroid surgery. If he is going to do the tradtional surgery, there is a ton of posts concerning that. My daughter had one lobe removed & then the other one for papillary cancer in the first lobe. She said she wishes she had just had the one lobe removed & the followed the other lobe with ultrasound. The 2nd lobe didn't contain cancer.

The nurse/DR. forgot to check on her labs after surgery so her calcium got really low. Then they loaded her with calcium which messed up her kidneys. So they had to give her a b/p med to protect the kidneys which has lower her b/p too much.

Bottom line is make sure your husband or loved one checks on your calcium level frequently until it is stable. All four of her parathyroids were destroyed in the operation. One only needs one parathyroid to keep the calcium levels up-even a 1/2 of one works sometimes. Most people don't seem to have problems after surgery but you need to be aware of what may happen so you can be prepared. Make sure you tell the surgeon about any allergies to drugs etc. Plan on having some soft foods to eat for a few days since your throat may be sore. We'll keep you in our hearts & prayers. Fam

 
Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: west Monroe, La.
Posts: 17
reneeinmlu HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Renee,

Sorry to hear that you aren't going to PGH. But glad you found another surgeon.

Did the Dr. say how he will do the thyroid surgery. If he is going to do the tradtional surgery, there is a ton of posts concerning that. My daughter had one lobe removed & then the other one for papillary cancer in the first lobe. She said she wishes she had just had the one lobe removed & the followed the other lobe with ultrasound. The 2nd lobe didn't contain cancer.

The nurse/DR. forgot to check on her labs after surgery so her calcium got really low. Then they loaded her with calcium which messed up her kidneys. So they had to give her a b/p med to protect the kidneys which has lower her b/p too much.

Bottom line is make sure your husband or loved one checks on your calcium level frequently until it is stable. All four of her parathyroids were destroyed in the operation. One only needs one parathyroid to keep the calcium levels up-even a 1/2 of one works sometimes. Most people don't seem to have problems after surgery but you need to be aware of what may happen so you can be prepared. Make sure you tell the surgeon about any allergies to drugs etc. Plan on having some soft foods to eat for a few days since your throat may be sore. We'll keep you in our hearts & prayers. Fam

 
Old 11-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ruston, LA
Posts: 9
whozqueen HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

HI! Dr. Sanson sent me for an ultrasound and of course it showed nothing. She did my labs again and both calcium and pth are still high so she says I need to find a surgeon. It took 3 weeks for her to get back to me about my labs. Ridiculous. I called down to Oschner to find out about surgery and I was not encouraged by the intelligence of their staff. They want me to drive 5 hours down to NOLA to talk to the the surgeon and then come home. And then do it all over again for the surgery. I want to do it in state so my insurance will pay more and I want to do it before the end of the year because of the deductible. But I want a doctor who has a clue. And I want them to have a staff who is helpful and also has a clue. Am I asking too much? When I had the surgery before I only had the one adenoma removed but it was a piece of cake. Getting a tooth out is worse, seriously. The surgery is fine, its all the other mess getting to the surgery thats the problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeinmlu View Post
Hi Hilary and Misti,

Sorry I've not posted in awhile. Just an update for you. My surgery is now scheduled for November 20 and I have my doctors appointment on the 19th. However, I have decided to go with Dr. David Terris in Augusta, Ga. There are several reasons. The first being that I have not heard back from Dr. Ferris's office in Pittsburgh. I emailed him last Thursday to ask some questions and he never emailed me back. He was usually very prompt in getting back to me. My doctors office called his and sent my records on Monday and I did get in touch with his surgery coordinator. I wanted to have the surgery after my son graduated from basic training in South Carolina because I just want to see my son before doing this. His office was supposed to get back to me but it has been all week and no call back. I'm not sure why it would take so long to see if they can do it then. Dr. Terris in Georgia, however, got right back to me and advised he could do it when I needed and has already scheduled it for me as well as my appointment prior to the surgery. He came highly reccommended by several univeristy department heads as well. He does do the minimally invasive as well and has done many of them. Once I see my son again in person, I will be ready to go through with this but I just needed to see my son again.

Also...I have been advised that not only do I have to get the tumor on my Parathyroid removed but also my entire Thyroid as well due to several nodules on it that have grown over the last few years. Now I am even more scared then I was before. Is there anyone out there who has ever had to get both removed at the same time? Please, if so, let me know how that went and how you felt afterward. I'm fretting over it now pretty bad. Thanks. Good to talk to you all. I hope everyone is doing well. Hilary...have you scheduled yours yet? Have you heard anything further about the surgeon in New Orleans? Let me know. Talk to you soon.

Renee

 
Old 11-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: usa
Posts: 79
mistygreen HB User
Thumbs up Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeinmlu View Post
Hi Hilary and Misti,

Sorry I've not posted in awhile. Just an update for you. My surgery is now scheduled for November 20 and I have my doctors appointment on the 19th. Also...I have been advised that not only do I have to get the tumor on my Parathyroid removed but also my entire Thyroid as well due to several nodules on it that have grown over the last few years. Now I am even more scared then I was before. Talk to you soon.

Renee
Renee,
I HOPE you get this in time before the surgery!!! Sometimes picking the right MD, and the timing of the surgery means everything. Hope you did get to see your son, and are now able to deal better with surgery. Timing is important.
All the best for a smoothe surgery and recuperation.. . You are in my prayers... and all the best to your son and family..Write when you are feeling up to it,, and take it easy after your surgery. Misty

 
Old 11-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: west Monroe, La.
Posts: 17
reneeinmlu HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

Hi Misty and Hilary,

Well, I had my surgery yesterday morning and I flew back home today. So far, so good. I've had no major drops in calcium that I have heard others speak of. But then again, it's only been a bit over 24 hours. I had my surgery in Augusta, Ga. with Dr. David Terris. He was wonderful and very patient with me. I was very afraid but thankfully they give you the, "I don't care" shot into your IV before they wheel you back to the OR. I remember only a few seconds of the OR and nothing else. My scar is very tiny and as time goes by, I am quite sure that it won't even been seen. The pain I've had in my body for years, was gone by yesterday evening. I feel as though something has almost been lifted off of me but not quite sure how to explain it. BUT I decided at the last minute to not have the total Thyroidectomy. I only had the Parathyroidectomy. I'm not sure I told either of you before, but I did have a biopsy of the Thyroid three years ago which showed no cancer. I do have a multi-nodular Thyroid but it is not causing any choking sensations. Therefore, I made the decision to continue to watch it and not remove it. I was just so afraid of the instant Hypothyroidism and worried about how I would feel while they tried to regulate my meds. I've read about so many people who regret having the TT and I didn't want to be one of them. I just pray I made the right decision. I do not think Dr. Sanson is happy with my decision. Dr. Terris did call her but didn't tell me what she said, just basically said, "What do you think she said?" lol Anyway...any advice is welcome. Talk to you both soon.

 
Old 11-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: us
Posts: 1,693
famnd HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

Hi Renee,

So glad everything went well for you. My friend had two parathyroids removed almost 4 wks ago. I wanted to let you know that her calcium was fine when she left the hospital after being there for one day.

It was about the 2-3 day that the calcium (low) hit her. She didn't call the DR. She got tingling all over her body including inside her nose. I finally called her on day 4th and encouraged to call her Dr. & get her blood test. Her calcium was low. Her Dr. called in a prescription calcium supplement. She is trying to get off her calcium but gets tingling. Hopefully, your remaining parathyroids will start working right away. Don't hesitate to call your Dr. if you get an unusual symptom as it is easier to manage a problem if you take action early. Fam

 
Old 11-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ruston, LA
Posts: 9
whozqueen HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

I am so excited for you! Its over! It wasn't bad at all, was it? I do not think I would want to get my thyroid out either. I called Oschner in New Orleans again and they gave me an appontment to come down and talk about a surgery on Wed, but I want to make sure they can do the surgery before the end of the year because of my deductible before I go all the way down there with the cost of a hotel and all. I got one nurse to call me back who told me that one of the surgeons who does it will not be able to do it in that time frame and the nurse of the other doc will call me on Mon. It is so hard to find the mini-surgery here in Louisiana, I'm sure you know. If they can't do it then I will consider Dr. Farris, even if he is out of network, it seems you are giving him a silver star recommendation. It seems like you did not have to wait very long to get in to do it either. Dr. Sanson got my records from my first surgery from Dr. Norman and it says there was a nodule on my thyroid when he went in but he just shaved it off. Do they come back? I don't know how that works. I never had a scary drop in calcium after mine, I just kept taking my calcium and it was fine. The wound was tiny and just a little sore, all needed to take was tylenol. A couple weeks later I went to my GP, he took the bandage off, cleaned it off a little, a piece of cake, then did the bloodwork and everything was back to normal with pth and calcium. You're gonna be fine! -Hilary
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeinmlu View Post
Hi Misty and Hilary,

Well, I had my surgery yesterday morning and I flew back home today. So far, so good. I've had no major drops in calcium that I have heard others speak of. But then again, it's only been a bit over 24 hours. I had my surgery in Augusta, Ga. with Dr. David Terris. He was wonderful and very patient with me. I was very afraid but thankfully they give you the, "I don't care" shot into your IV before they wheel you back to the OR. I remember only a few seconds of the OR and nothing else. My scar is very tiny and as time goes by, I am quite sure that it won't even been seen. The pain I've had in my body for years, was gone by yesterday evening. I feel as though something has almost been lifted off of me but not quite sure how to explain it. BUT I decided at the last minute to not have the total Thyroidectomy. I only had the Parathyroidectomy. I'm not sure I told either of you before, but I did have a biopsy of the Thyroid three years ago which showed no cancer. I do have a multi-nodular Thyroid but it is not causing any choking sensations. Therefore, I made the decision to continue to watch it and not remove it. I was just so afraid of the instant Hypothyroidism and worried about how I would feel while they tried to regulate my meds. I've read about so many people who regret having the TT and I didn't want to be one of them. I just pray I made the right decision. I do not think Dr. Sanson is happy with my decision. Dr. Terris did call her but didn't tell me what she said, just basically said, "What do you think she said?" lol Anyway...any advice is welcome. Talk to you both soon.

 
Old 11-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: west Monroe, La.
Posts: 17
reneeinmlu HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

Yes, I am glad it is over with. I must admit I hope I did the right thing in regard to my Thyroid though. I am a bit worried but I will have them continue to watch it. Dr. Terris called Dr. Sanson and I guess she wasn't happy with my decision so I have that to face when I see her again. Your recovery sounds as though it was easier than mine but I think it is because you received local anethesia and I received general. I am still very very tired and weak. I sleep a lot also. I have absolutely no energy. Just feel weak and tired and not good in general. But today is only day three so I know that it will get better. My throat is still sore also from the breathing tube. How long were you out of work? I have to go back to work in eight days and I hope I am ready for it. Surely by then I will be feeling better. Also, I am taking the calcium he prescribed. It is Oscal with Vit. D. My hands and feet do get tingly but I just take an extra one when they do that. So far, so good.

If you can't get the minimally invasive in New Orleans then I would say Dr. Terris in Augusta is a great choice. He does about 60 of the Parathyroidectomies a year and he also does minimally invasive Thyroidectomies. He did a great job. Plus you can ask him questions afterward and he will be nice to you, unlike Dr. Norman. ha ha I hear you can't question him on much, which is sad.

Some sad news though. I left my weenie dog, Malachi, with my brother while I was away and he lost him. We've had this dog for seven years and he is a part of our family. I am about to make up flyers to put them around. Please pray we find him. Talk to you all later.

Renee

 
Old 11-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ruston, LA
Posts: 9
whozqueen HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

I didn't have local anethasia with Dr. Norman, he does knock you out. I think local is when they numb the body part but you are awake. Dr. Norman uses "light anesthesia", which is a combination of iv sedation and gas through a mask. Kind of like what the dentist would use to knock you out in his office, for like wisdom teeth? I wonder why Dr. Terris uses the tube down the throat. I could not get a straight answer from anyone down in New Orleans about when I could have a surgery, so I called Dr. Terris's office and he called me back himself in a matter of hours. And we have been exchanging emails about it, even though he is on a cruise! (from his blackberry) So I'm going to go with him. He was like, "How did you hear about me?" I told him all about how I ran into you on healthboards and how pleased you were with the surgery. I am going to have my consultation, pre-op and sestamibi on Dec 29th and I'll be his first surgery on Dec 30th. My insurance says he and the hospital are in network so thats great. I guess I am most worried about the general anesthesia and the fact that he does not use that radioguided probe like Dr. Norman, but he checks the calcium level during surgery instead. (so they cut out the gland and THEN check to see if its the right one?) amd he said that the sestamibi would take several hours but it only takes 15 minutes in Dr. Norman's clinic. So Dr. Terris does at least one parathyroidectomy a week, thats good. I wasn't working when I had my first surgery, I was home with my daughter, but I bounced back pretty quicky, but I was only like 35 yrs old? Now I feel like I'm 55 years old with all these symptoms I'm having now. How do you feel now, did you survive Turkey Day? We went out to eat, I refused to cook! I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. Dr. Sanson called me after I decided not to go to Oschner, after I left a mssg for them to fax my records to Dr. Terris. She was like, "This is your personal fax machine calling." Attitude! You don't even see Dr. Norman in person after you wake up in recovery, he calls you on the phone later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeinmlu View Post
Yes, I am glad it is over with. I must admit I hope I did the right thing in regard to my Thyroid though. I am a bit worried but I will have them continue to watch it. Dr. Terris called Dr. Sanson and I guess she wasn't happy with my decision so I have that to face when I see her again. Your recovery sounds as though it was easier than mine but I think it is because you received local anethesia and I received general. I am still very very tired and weak. I sleep a lot also. I have absolutely no energy. Just feel weak and tired and not good in general. But today is only day three so I know that it will get better. My throat is still sore also from the breathing tube. How long were you out of work? I have to go back to work in eight days and I hope I am ready for it. Surely by then I will be feeling better. Also, I am taking the calcium he prescribed. It is Oscal with Vit. D. My hands and feet do get tingly but I just take an extra one when they do that. So far, so good.

If you can't get the minimally invasive in New Orleans then I would say Dr. Terris in Augusta is a great choice. He does about 60 of the Parathyroidectomies a year and he also does minimally invasive Thyroidectomies. He did a great job. Plus you can ask him questions afterward and he will be nice to you, unlike Dr. Norman. ha ha I hear you can't question him on much, which is sad.

Some sad news though. I left my weenie dog, Malachi, with my brother while I was away and he lost him. We've had this dog for seven years and he is a part of our family. I am about to make up flyers to put them around. Please pray we find him. Talk to you all later.

Renee

 
Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: west Monroe, La.
Posts: 17
reneeinmlu HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozqueen View Post
I didn't have local anethasia with Dr. Norman, he does knock you out. I think local is when they numb the body part but you are awake. Dr. Norman uses "light anesthesia", which is a combination of iv sedation and gas through a mask. Kind of like what the dentist would use to knock you out in his office, for like wisdom teeth? I wonder why Dr. Terris uses the tube down the throat. I could not get a straight answer from anyone down in New Orleans about when I could have a surgery, so I called Dr. Terris's office and he called me back himself in a matter of hours. And we have been exchanging emails about it, even though he is on a cruise! (from his blackberry) So I'm going to go with him. He was like, "How did you hear about me?" I told him all about how I ran into you on healthboards and how pleased you were with the surgery. I am going to have my consultation, pre-op and sestamibi on Dec 29th and I'll be his first surgery on Dec 30th. My insurance says he and the hospital are in network so thats great. I guess I am most worried about the general anesthesia and the fact that he does not use that radioguided probe like Dr. Norman, but he checks the calcium level during surgery instead. (so they cut out the gland and THEN check to see if its the right one?) amd he said that the sestamibi would take several hours but it only takes 15 minutes in Dr. Norman's clinic. So Dr. Terris does at least one parathyroidectomy a week, thats good. I wasn't working when I had my first surgery, I was home with my daughter, but I bounced back pretty quicky, but I was only like 35 yrs old? Now I feel like I'm 55 years old with all these symptoms I'm having now. How do you feel now, did you survive Turkey Day? We went out to eat, I refused to cook! I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. Dr. Sanson called me after I decided not to go to Oschner, after I left a mssg for them to fax my records to Dr. Terris. She was like, "This is your personal fax machine calling." Attitude! You don't even see Dr. Norman in person after you wake up in recovery, he calls you on the phone later.

Yes, I did read that he uses a twilight anethesia instead. I think I would have rather had that although I am not really sure. I read on one of these forums that someone woke up right before and thought the surgery was over and they ended up having to use general anethesia on her. I will mention this though so that you can mention it to Dr. Terris. He did go and speak to my family after he was done but he did not come and speak to me. I would have rather he did come and speak to me. That is the one thing that bothered me. My family couldn't remember everything he said except for it went well. I would have asked him questions that I needed to know about but I have been emailing him and he is always quick to respond to me so that is good. His office is great about returning calls quickly as well. Also, I had booked The Quality Inn Medical Center at first but didn't end up staying there. It is right next to the hospital but I didn't like the rooms and I wanted to feel comfortable afterward while there sleeping. We ended up staying at The Jameson Inn on Clauson but there are nice hotels closer as well. The part of town the hospital was in didn't impress me at first but right down the road is everything you can think of. You go to Washington Street right down the road and turn left and you will run into every restaurant, store, hotel and business you can imagine. I liked it there. I was able to leave the next morning. I am feeling pretty good although right now I feel as though there is something in my throat. Did you ever feel that???? What is that? I have just now written Dr. Terris about that so I will tell you what he says when he responds. Oh and before I forget. I had my scan here in West Monroe at Glenwood. They took pictures at 15 minutes but then they have to do it again 2-3 hours later because at 15 minutes all of the nuclear whatever it is, is still in there, so they look at it then and they look at it 2-3 hours later and by then the only place it remains is in the bad gland with the tumor. Dr. Terris didn't do another scan there. I took the pictures to him and he did an ultrasound in his office. He could see it on the ultrasound. I didn't realize that he didn't use the radioguided probe. I was so nervous I guess I forgot to ask about that. Although, the scan had already located the tumor and he did do the ultrasound and saw it as well.

So, did you think to ask him why you have another adenoma? Isn't that fairly rare? That makes me nervous. I hope I never have another one. Also, how often did your calcium drop? I have been taking my calcium as he prescribed but it seems I need more than that because I do get tingly in my hands and feet and seems to be other places too.

We had a good Thanksgiving. Not as many of us this year though. My son is in Virginia with the Army and my niece is in Shreveport now. Several other family members did other things and so there weren't as many of us. My mom and I both wish that we would have gone out to eat instead too. You were smart there! lol Where did you end up eating?

Dr. Sanson's office called me on Wednesday and has scheduled an appointment for me on Monday. I'm almost dreading it. Dr. Terris told her about my not wanting my Thyroid out so I am sure I have that to face now. Did she give you an attitude? She seemed to not be very happy with me when I chose a surgeon out of town/state. Not that she said anything ugly or such; I could just tell that she felt it better for me to see a surgeon in town.

Anyway, let me know if you want to have lunch before you go. We can meet up somewhere. Sorry this is so long. lol I'll talk to you later.

Renee

 
Old 11-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: west Monroe, La.
Posts: 17
reneeinmlu HB User
Re: Parathyroid/High Calcium/Dr. Norman PART TWO

Hi Fam,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I've been having the tingling as well. It was fine the first day for me too. He sent me home with Calcium suppliments as well. I was told to take two pills three times a day for a week and then the next week to take 2 pills twice a day and then reduce it even further the 3rd week. However, inbetween the doses I do get tingling and yes it is all over. One night I woke up with tingling all over and even my tongue!! That freaked me out. I had to get up and take the Calcium. Can you tell me what causes the tingling? What dangers are there from your calcium dropping low? Let me know. Thanks. I'll talk to you soon.

Renee

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Hasimoto's-now parathyroid hormones high robine27 Thyroid Disorders 21 02-15-2009 02:37 AM
Please help! Any one with a parathyroid condition or symptoms! mmee Endocrine Disorders 116 02-05-2009 07:39 AM
Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman wdiguy Thyroid Disorders 103 10-16-2008 08:27 PM
Parathyroid surgery and low calcium? Ruskingirl Osteoporosis 80 08-28-2008 04:32 PM
Parathyroid /High Calcium levels- anyone suffering with this birdleggs15 Thyroid Disorders 81 06-26-2008 11:28 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (666), midwest1 (627), FinnMaid (308), Reece (224), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), ladybud (45), Bran'sNana (44)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.com™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!