It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
(female)

Jennypooh46226 HB User
Weight loss with Cytomel???

Has anyone lost any of your hypo weight after adding cytomel to your T4 meds?? Or does it even make a difference by taking it??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Weight loss with Cytomel???

I was on Cytomel for 2 months........I loved it. I was on Armour for 2 years and was switched to Thyrolar 2 and Cytomel was added in the Afternoon....I felt wonderful and actually did lose some weight. The Cytomel gave me a boost. I did not have one problem with it....and could sleep fine.

I had to go off of the Thyrolar due to a milk allergy ( has lactose in it ) so my Endo put me back on Armour.....he is going to add the Cytomel because I am dragging on the Armour.....I am on 4 Grains now and feel tired.

Me personally? I felt I lost weight on it .....I felt good on it. I know several people on the board here said it made them jittery and anxious. Even though I tend to be an anxious person it did not make me anxious at all but gave me energy. I felt like the old me on it.

Everyone is different.

I took 25mcg in the afternoon. Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User

I was never right enough on T4 and Cytomel to lose weight.

But when I was taking Armour & Cytomel, I did gradually lose 12 pounds.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sue,

I am back on Armour and am just starting Cytomel with it......I tried just the Armour.....up to 4 grains and I am tired. So as of yesterday I am adding Cytomel....

Tell me again why you are not on it? Why you went off of it.

I noticed I am sleeping much longer and dreaming very vividly on just Armour.

I felt much more energetic on the Thyrolar2 Cytomel combo and that is maybe why I lost weight on it...I was like my old self busy doing things up until bedtime. On this Armour? I just want to get in bed after a day's work....beat.

Oleander

Old 10-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: Weight loss with Cytomel???

Quote:
Sue,
Tell me again why you are not on it? Why you went off of it.
I went off Cytomel because my (then) D.0. told me to. He said that Osteoporosis was a concern w/ my TSH low (.05) At the time he took me off Cytomel, he didn't increase my Armour or add T4 to it, so I knew I was going to dump, I DID! Then 2 months later (while ignoring my ferritin of 33) he tells me I can take Cytomel again. I was m a d as &^%$#@ at his lack of explanation & feeling like I was his summer science project. (gained 9 of 12 lbs BACK!) At the time I asked to increase Armour or add T4 to it. He said NO. My T4's were hanging right at the bottom of the range and I don't feel RIGHT, but he was one of those Dr's who belived " Patients don't feel any different once their T's are IN range " Honestly, I felt like Armour & Cyt was bandaiding my problem, not FIXING it. Dr wouldn't listen, so I went elsewhere

6-7 weeks ago I started with a new Osteopathic Endo (Dr#6) He ran more tests than ANYONE these last 3 years. He wants TSH at the low end of readable, .2-.3. So he added some Levoxyl to my 2 grains of Armour. I wouldn't be surprised if I get to 88 or so mcg's along with 2 grains of Armour.

Keep you posted Sue

Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay so now I am on 4 Grains of Armour 2 in AM and 2 in PM and one Cytomel in afternoon 25mcg........I felt wonderful yesterday and slept all night long... So they increased my Armour and added cytomel.......I could tell within 2 days.........so let's see what happens.......

In the last 2 years I have been on this board I have lost a full 30 pounds.
Now remember I was tiny size 7 was loose on me and I went up to a 14 -16 in one year with no explanation !!!!! I still could lose 15 pounds........but am happy with this weight.......

It was my low thyroid and my high Insulin causing this problem....and now I am being told my milk allergy could also have contributed to it also....diet , exercise and proper medication.........never have I been an overeater and never did I deserve that weight gain..it is good to feel better.......

My Endo my 7th opinion LOL is my best so far..... Oleander

Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I'm only on a tiny bit of Cytomel 5 mcg added to my 100 mcg of Synthroid, and I have not lost any weight, in fact have gained a few more pounds. I think I am also struggling with insulin resistance as well and I'm thinking it is time to test for that.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

My Endo found my IR while evalutating my Thyroid nodules......I could not eat anything with carbs in it all all without gaining 3 to 5 pounds....it was maddening.....I could not lose a pound.....I am glad they caught it on me so hopefully I can prevent being a diabetic later on..

Make sure they do a fasting Insulin and 2 hour Insulin after you drink the glucose drink.....Just one fasting insulin test will not tell you if you have it....you need a 2 hour PP Insulin and BS test to confirm it.

I am on 25mcg of Cytomel in the afternoon and I feel better on it but could go to sleep if needed. He said I could take 2 a day but am going slowly.

My thyroid is so sad.....the numbers look low but in normal range but I can take a ton of medicine and the numbers do not change much. My pulse never gets over 52.... I mean I am taking 4 Grains of Armour and could doze off....with Cytomel......but I am feeling pretty good so I cannot complain.

Oleander

Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
(female)

one2wonder HB User

I don't know if it is the Cytomel that was recently added or the progesterone, but I have lost about 4.5 pounds since about Oct 3. I wasn't necessarily *overweight* to begin with since being diagnosed hypo, just about 10-15 pounds heavier than where I thought I should be.

I am taking 88 Synthroid and 10 Cytomel along with the progesterone.

Last edited by one2wonder; 10-21-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Closed Thread